Best cover designs for classical music albums

The thread title says "designs", not "design". I'll post more of my favourites when time allows!

The reason I like the cover I've already posted is that it's a very tasty combination of different textures and shades of red.

Curious selection as a 'favourite', JP. I mean, lovely lady, I'm sure, but hardly spectacular cover artwork?

If this is limited to classical albums, why not something more 'artsy'? I love this one, from the Harmonia Mundi 50' set (which has great fine art on most of the albums). A bit "gay", perhaps, but mirrors the aspect of lute music pretty humourously:

mbid-05ffffa2-66d5-32a5-994b-9922b620c46

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Curious selection as a 'favourite', JP. I mean, lovely lady, I'm sure, but hardly spectacular cover artwork?

When I made the thread I did not mean "covers with historic paintings", as that's kind of cheating. :)

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

If this is limited to classical albums, why not something more 'artsy'? I love this one, from the Harmonia Mundi 50' set (which has great fine art on most of the albums). A bit "gay", perhaps, but mirrors the aspect of lute music pretty humourously:

mbid-05ffffa2-66d5-32a5-994b-9922b620c46

A great box set! And really not so gay.

Btw, isn't that Joseph Fiennes from Shakespeare in Love?

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Well there won't be any Naxos albums in this thread, that's for sure:P

Really... ;)

71WlOIe8soL._SL1500_.jpg

Yes, the Harmonia Mundi set is fantastic!

I like the slip cover of the Solti/Strauss/Berliner Philharmoniker album -- very minimialistic; just a sunlit sky, no text. Couldn't find it online, however, only the actual cover, which is just the text embossed on a star sky. Also elegant and exclusive, but not very spectacular.

I was thinking along the same lines.

Here's a dramatic favorite of mine. Look at those parallel lines amidst all the chaos. Beautiful.

51Wzu9ciuhL._SL1500_.jpg

50 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, the Harmonia Mundi set is fantastic!

I like the slip cover of the Solti/Strauss/Berliner Philharmoniker album -- very minimialistic; just a sunlit sky, no text. Couldn't find it online, however, only the actual cover, which is just the text embossed on a star sky. Also elegant and exclusive, but not very spectacular.

It was literally the second hit when I googled it!

81lTa-3T8pL._SY355_.jpg

Deutsche Grammophon's uniform covers are easily the best. 

I've seen a lot of terrible classical covers, but DG is wonderfully consistent, IMO. Plus, you know it's a quality release when you see this on the front:

Image result for deutsche grammophon

1 minute ago, Fabulin said:

Does sexism occurs in childhood, determining that the "beautiful girls" will be pushed towards musical training and encouraged more to go professional more frequently by teachers and parents? Are the correlations of good genes with music supposed to be that high? Most of the brilliant composers have been plain, or even ugly, save for a lucky few.

Not necessarily training, but perhaps recording contracts? After all, album covers and posters are the most noticeable forms of marketing for music. I'd wager you get a significantly higher amount of "plain looking" artists in concert halls than on CD.

Doesn't mean that you don't in fact sometimes get those who are both absolutely first class musicians and great looking - and first rate actresses, too:

0028947762317_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It has a lot to do with how the promo pictures are taken. Often, what you see on the album covers doesn't really show how they look in real life.

True, she has bigger hooters in real life.

Ohhhhhhh hello? Sorry I can't come to the phone right now, I'm in the can! Ohhhhh! Please! After the beep tone, leave your fart number, I mean phone number, and message. Here's the beep! Ohhhhhhaaagghhhhahaha--ahhhhh....