Absolutely obsessed with Raiders of the Lost Ark right now

Bellosh

Obviously I've listened to this score so many times over the years, but recently I'm just absolutely obsessed with it.  Can't stop listening to it.  It's perfect in every way.

Anyone else just all of a sudden become obsessed with a John Williams album you've listened to for so long.

"It was his obsession, really."

11 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Obviously I've listened to this score so many times over the years, but recently I'm just absolutely obsessed with it.  Can't stop listening to it.  It's perfect in every way.

Anyone else just all of a sudden become obsessed with a John Williams album you've listened to for so long.

Sure. This goes hand in hand with taking a break from music. You rediscover it afterward and maybe even enjoy it more.

Raiders is one of those ultimate perfect scores. I haven't listened to it in a very long time but I can hear every note in my mind.

44 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Yeah, I listened to Raiders of the Lost Ark in December a lot. 

I love the opening scenes of score, from In the Jungle to Flight from Peru

In my opinion, the OST of Raiders is a more coherent listening experience than the expanded presentations. Of course, the expansions do have good tracks that aren't found on the OST, so it's worth having both.

The DCC was the first edition of this score that I got, and I think it holds up very well in expanded format (for once!). But I've since sampled the OST, which is also a good one. I'd say they are more or less equal in terms of listening experience, which is rather rare. I have not heard, and have no interest in, the more recent Indy soundtrack box version.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

The DCC was the first edition of this score that I got, and I think it holds up very well in expanded format (for once!).

Yes, despite being over 20 years old now the DCC Raiders (released by Silva in some countries) remains the best release of this score. It sounds very good. It flows very well in chronological order (partly because it's written for such a finely paced film) and contains pretty much everything you need.

Great Nick Redman album.

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The DCC Raiders is the only Indy expansion to date I've bothered purchasing. It's indeed good, but it loses some of the flow compared to the OST. The latter has subpar sound though, especially in The Map Room.

Out of all the Indy scores, I'm just fine with the DCC Raiders, but honestly it's a real treat when 'Washington Men/Indy's Home' comes on.  That cue of the Raiders March is just so heartwarming to me.  So I prefer the Concord version.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It obviously isn't.

It is. But I've listened to the 20th anniversary release and I know that the LLL release doesn't add anything of significance to that score. I bought the set for TLW, even though it's not a favourite.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've had the JP set for almost a year and haven't even listened to it yet. And JP is one of my very favorites.

If you're not going to use it, send it here!

On 5/8/2019 at 11:38 PM, Bellosh said:

Can I say The German Sub is such an awesome track? It’s so goooooooooooooooooooooooood! 

3 hours ago, Amer said:

Oh Yeah! My favourite Indy score. And in my Top 3 Williams!  I love both the DCC and the Concord edition. Infact I have all of the cd releases as as well as the 3 vinyls!  Pic coming up soon!

It’s perfection!

I do not know what kind of magic shrooms JW took when cutting down Desert Chase for the OST but it's one of his worst executed ideas and one of the most irritating in concept.

I always thought the edits in the LP version of The Raiders March were clunky, and more importantly, unnecessary.

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The short version works fine on its own terms.

My son can't stand Marion's theme in the middle so I had to replace his Raiders March with the abridged version on his MP3 player.

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

My son can't stand Marion's theme in the middle so I had to replace his Raiders March with the abridged version on his MP3 player.

There I was talking about Desert Chase, but the Raiders March also works well in its short version. It just makes the piece more of a standard kind of march like the ones marching bands play.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I always thought the edits in the LP version of The Raiders March were clunky, and more importantly, unnecessary.

Funny many of us listened to it for years and years that way and had no issues. I never knew what I called perfection would be cinsidered clunky and unnecessary. 

Huh.  I meant to type The Desert Chase in my post, but accidentally typed The Raiders March.  Weird.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh.  I meant to type The Desert Chase in my post, but accidentally typed The Raiders March.  Weird.

Works for Desert Chase too it was the only version available for what nearly 20 years never did it sound clunky until that new version of Raiders came out made it very clunky

59 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Works for Desert Chase too it was the only version available for what nearly 20 years never did it sound clunky until that new version of Raiders came out made it very clunky

14 years is not nearly 20 years!

I didn't mind the edits on the OST version before i heard the DCC release though 

So 14 years where anyone who had it from 1981 had the score likely ingrained in their mind never knowing a longer edit existed.

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I own two copies!

Still sealed? I have 2 already. First one I bought from NY. 2nd one is just the Disc. I discovered it in garage sale container from Afghanistan! 

He gave away his copies of Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

38 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Desert Chase on the Concord release sounds fine you whiny babies!

+

It sounds wrong when you have listened to it for 14 years. 

On 5/11/2019 at 7:08 AM, Stefancos said:

I knew the edits existed because ive seen the film many times.

Didnt care much though. 

You are too young to have much experience with the original soundtrack.