On The Tank (The Last Crusade)

Why do you feel that the track needs more strings? It's great the way it is!

Tank = a large lump of metal ==> highlight the brass section!

There's a short section with prominent strings starting at 2:53.

I'm not sure what you mean, Stefan, I'm hearing strings pretty much from the beginning. The most obvious role they have is that chugging after the fanfare beginning. 

There are a lot of times where it's doubling say the brass, though.

Wait, don't lock it yet! While we're here, now's a good time for us to answer a question I haven't seen addressed on JWFan: is Temple of Doom as bad as its reputation, or is it in an underrated film?

15 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Wait, don't lock it yet! While we're here, now's a good time for us to answer a question I haven't seen addressed on JWFan: is Temple of Doom as bad as its reputation, or is it in an underrated film?

Temple of Doom, surprisingly, gets better with each viewing, but it will never surpass The Last Crusade and Raiders of the Lost Ark for my favourite. Last time I checked, it still stands Raiders-The Last Crusade-Temple of Doom-Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Temple of Doom is definetly better than Crystal Skull too. As for the scores, I used to like The Last Crusade a fair bit, but Temple of Doom and Raiders of the Lost Ark are more relistenable for me.

Before this thread gets locked, I would like to post a random musing I had about this track on twitter the other day:

Is the military motif from Last Crusade when Indy has just jumped onto the tank (1:25 into "On The Tank") the SAME MOTIF that is played (much slower) during Raiders opening trek through Peruvian jungle? 

To clarify: the ominous, searching motif from 1m1 “The Jungle” in Raiders vs the military sounding snare-drum accented march right after Colonel Vogel’s dramatic rise in 10m3/11m1 “On The Tank” from Crusade.

21 minutes ago, Valentinice said:

Before this thread gets locked, I would like to post a random musing I had about this track on twitter the other day:

Is the military motif from Last Crusade when Indy has just jumped onto the tank (1:25 into "On The Tank") the SAME MOTIF that is played (much slower) during Raiders opening trek through Peruvian jungle? 

To clarify: the ominous, searching motif from 1m1 “The Jungle” in Raiders vs the military sounding snare-drum accented march right after Colonel Vogel’s dramatic rise in 10m3/11m1 “On The Tank” from Crusade.

I really don't think so.

Okay since I didn't want to make a new topic on a small bit in a Last Crusade track....

One little section that I've always loved is :09-:15 of 'X Marks the Spot'

Does anyone know if that's the Raiders March played during that little time?  It sort of sounds familiar but also doesn't at the same time.

Video timestamped for reference:

On 5/12/2019 at 11:32 PM, Nick Parker said:

Temple of Doom as bad as its reputation, or is it in an underrated film?

Last time I watched it, I couldn't help having a massive grin on my face all the way through.

It's quite nuts, but also a lot of fun.

Underrated, I'd say!

Also, "On the Tank" is pretty great.

The orchestration is actually pretty straightforward here, you can find more of the same style in the more recent Tintin, for example. The whole string section is mainly playing rythmic eighth notes in the first part of the track (sort of a scherzo in 9/8, with a really cool rhythm here which I didn't really "get" until I had a look at the manuscript score). The low strings often double big low brass chords, the high strings double some of the high trumpet lines, there's a bit of high strings and woods playing the dazzling, whirling figures Williams likes to embellish action cues with, most of the strings double the aggressive low brass stabs later in the cue, etc. You might not realize this at first, but the whole thing would sound very empty if you'd take away the strings! They add a lot of color and substance to the whole ensemble.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:42 PM, Martinland said:

The last ~40 minutes are the most amazing, exhilaratingly edited, composed, filmed, fx-enhanced (for the time), and funny culminating "moments" (nearly half the film!) of any (not too serious) action/adventure movie I know of; and in a nostalgic movie mode to boot (gone nowadays). I simply love it. Same could be said about the first two reels of the film... ;)

Yes!

Exactly that. :D

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2019 at 1:34 PM, Stefancos said:

I wonder if it's a last minute, low budget rescore?

It is not, it was intended that way.  I think there was a cue on one of his Harry Potter scores that was winds only but forgot which one it was.

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Quidditch concert arrangement 

Are you referring to the Children's Suite?  In that, the Nimbus 2000 music was winds-only; Quidditch was for brass.

11 hours ago, Matt S. said:

Are you referring to the Children's Suite?  In that, the Nimbus 2000 music was winds-only; Quidditch was for brass.

Yup I typed the wrong thing, fixed my post

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Again, there's strings in this cue.

Who are you replying to?

• 1 year later...

This is my first time ever posting on a thread here, but at the end of Last Crusade, when Indy and his dad are discussing what they found after the Temple is destroyed, the album version of Finale transitions to the Raiders March, a very powerful and one of my favorite moments of the March, my question is, does anyone know where it’s tracked in from? I would love to make a film edit of it, but I can’t seem to find where it’s tracked in from.

Time stamp 0:23

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Brando said:

my question is, does anyone know where it’s tracked in from? I would love to make a film edit of it, but I can’t seem to find where it’s tracked in from.

The March itself isn't tracked from anywhere. They just removed the closing statement of the Father's Theme from 14M1 Letting It Go (1:47 - 2:06 on the OST track Finale & End Credits) then started 14M2 End Credits early. The edit is likely smoothed over with the recorded ending of 14M1, which isn't on the OST track because 14M2 End Credits cuts it off (the edit is audible around 2:06). There was probably dialogue removed here, hence the music being cut down.

Then the End Credits are trimmed back, with the quieter statement of the Raiders March microedited from 2:42 - 3:52 in favour of the bolder, fully orchestrated version for the horseback charge out the canyon. A wise musical decision, that one; Williams' intended version is too restrained for that ending. It appears George Lucas made that suggestion, judging by his (sadly cut-off) comment in the video below around 10:10:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the response, after you replied i rewatched the scene and listened closely to the cue and was able to determine where the edits were made. Another question regarding Temple Of Doom, when Indy is in the candle chamber, is there music present in that scene or is strictly sound effects? Its hard for me to tell and i was wondering if anyone on here knew about it.

Thanks again!