The Rise of Skywalker score might not be eligible for the Best Original Score Oscar

Disco Stu

The Rise of Skywalker score might not be eligible for the Best Original Score Oscar as the Academy is going to keep the November 15th submission deadline they used last year.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/04/24/academy-confirms-return-of-short-lists-in-music-categories/

So, like, December releases will only be eligible if they're willing to give the Academy an FYC by 11/15?  That's stupid.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

Shouldn't it be able to be considered for an award the next year then in a logical world?

Nope, and only the music branch sets this deadline.  So the film would qualify for all the other awards just fine.  It's real dumb.

It's all still hypothetical, they might find a workaround.  I just can't see Lucasfilm risking anything getting out by giving the music branch TROS music a month early.

I'm sure they'll make an exception for Williams... but how is this fair to films that are released AFTER Nov 15. Why's the Academy punishing films that come out in the last month and a half? Makes ZERO sense.

-Erik- 

Will the film even be in the can by November 15?  JJ could still be tweaking it and Williams could still be recording music.  I don't see Disney showing the film to whoever needs to see it over a month in advance.

What was the submission deadline for TLJ in 2017? That score released December 15th and there's no evidence of Disney distributing an FYC before then.

As for TROS, it could easily still be recording by mid-November...

TBH I expect the music branch already has its nomination reserved. We know the caliber of writing it will feature and the momentousness of the occasion. It's comfortably the most anticipated film score of the year, certainly the highest profile.

2 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Chances of JJ kindly gifting us with an isolated score on the Blu-Ray release?

I wish the iso score was on the Last Jedi blu ray!

I agree that the rule is stupid, but when it comes to assuming they'll make an exception 'because it's Williams' (and before anyone's heard a note).... that's also stupid.

There's a certain milestone in it being JW's last SW score and there would be a chance the academy would give it to him in the same way they gave RotK a clean sweep as an overall reward.

My choice so far this year? HTTYD 3.

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

There's a certain milestone in it being JW's last SW score

But didnt MM state that Williams hasnt ruled out doing another SW score after Ep 9? In @TownerFan's recent interview with him.

Might seem a long bow to draw but maybe the music department have no interest in giving him a nomination because they're campaigning for him to receive a special lifetime award in recognition of his completion of the 9 SW saga scores, hence not worrying about the score's likely ineligibility?

We can dream!

Seems odd otherwise because the music wing has to know this is one of the most important/anticipated scores of the year, and as close to a shoe-in nomination (by April) as there is.

Fortunately the music department has taste and determines the nominations, so maybe they've come to the same conclusion? JW's been nominated at least 20 times since his last win to no avail.

From memory, 2008 (KOTCS) is the only time since Schindler's List where JW hasn't been nominated in a year he composed a film score.

50 minutes ago, crumbs said:

they're campaigning for him to receive a special lifetime award in recognition of his completion of the 9 SW saga scores

I would hope so! No-one else in the core creative/production team on this series stuck with it as Williams had. It went through multiple writers, directors and producers, through editors and cinematographers - even a distribution company. But only one composer.

I could think of other candidates worthy of such an award, but Williams is most certainly deserving of it.

I am. Its a similar body of work, in terms of volume. But that much more intricate and internally unified.

But like I said, Williams - in his own right - deserves such an award and than some.

Good research there! Yes, we can assume the nomination is banked at this point. That would make the SW ST only the second trilogy of scores JW has been nominated for each entry, after the original trilogy.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Good research there! Yes, we can assume the nomination is banked at this point. That would make the SW ST only the second trilogy of scores JW has been nominated for each entry, after the original trilogy.

That damned Crystal Skull had to go and break his Indy trilogy streak. 

58 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

Why do you say that?

Only 2 sequel scores have ever won the Best Score Oscar - LOTR 3 and Godfather 2. What's the common attribute between them? Both also won Best Picture.

So unless Star Wars 9 is a best picture favorite or something, its score is not going to win the best score Oscar.

Indeed. It will get nominated, but it never had a chance of winning.

Lincoln was probably the closest chance he had in the last 10 years.

4 minutes ago, KK said:

Indeed. It will get nominated, but it never had a chance of winning.

Lincoln was probably the closest chance he had in the last 10 years.

I think more than Lincoln he had a real shot with TFA. I think but for that preposterous Morricone stunt that they pulled off, Williams would have won.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I doubt JW will ever get another regular Oscar. Too many of those eligible to vote are too young to appreciate his style. They rather want Hanz and his clones.

Most have seen too many winters. Or too few!

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think more than Lincoln he had a real shot with TFA. I think but for that preposterous Morricone stunt that they pulled off, Williams would have won.

It’s relative, though, Danna and Morricone both felt like shoo-ins. Memoirs was really the last time I think we could safely say he was mere votes away.

I think there’s a world where he wins for this but it would have to be pretty unanimous that it’s the best of the three, for starters. Everybody already takes it for granted that the music will be really good and make them cry, which would get him the nomination. That’s already a high bar and it’s the bare minimum that people expect from him. The fact that everyone will know it’s his last Star Wars (many will think it’s his last score, period) is a double-edged sword because on one hand people will be predisposed to loving it, anyway, but it also sets up certain expectations...the music has actually not been one of the major talking points of these new movies and I think he would have to steal a lion’s share of attention from Billy Dee, The Emperor and God knows what else people will be ranting and raving about with this thing. There’s gotta be a major groundswell of “It’s time to give John Williams another damn Oscar” talk and instant multi-million DisneyVevo hits to indicate that people are really feeling it on this one.

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It will be nominated.

Here are the relevant sections of the rules - 

The submission consists of only the paperwork and the list of cues. That will be ready by Nov 15. Even if it's not ready, you can submit the paperwork and submit the list of cues by Dec 1.

An FYC album is NOT a requirement, it is only optional and studios put these out to further a score's chances. The music branch academy members are primarily encouraged to judge the music as heard in the film.

So yeah, it will be nominated. But it almost certainly will not win.

Think you're missing the main point of the article. In order for it to be nominated, Disney has to show the movie to Academy music branch members BEFORE they vote for the short list, they're certainly not going to send out screeners (for obvious piracy concerns) and it seems a bit of stretch to think that they will hold screenings just for that group early enough (prior to the movie's world premiere) to qualify, TFA did not screen to anybody until the Monday before release and TLJ not until Saturday before release, and if you look at the date when the short list was announced last year, it seems highly questionable that voting members have seen the movie by that time. But who knows, maybe they will find a way around all that, but the concerns are definitely more than justified.

1 hour ago, DJan said:

Think you're missing the main point of the article. In order for it to be nominated, Disney has to show the movie to Academy music branch members BEFORE they vote for the short list, they're certainly not going to send out screeners (for obvious piracy concerns) and it seems a bit of stretch to think that they will hold screenings just for that group early enough (prior to the movie's world premiere) to qualify, TFA did not screen to anybody until the Monday before release and TLJ not until Saturday before release, and if you look at the date when the short list was announced last year, it seems highly questionable that voting members have seen the movie by that time. But who knows, maybe they will find a way around all that, but the concerns are definitely more than justified.

There is NO requirement to send the movie to the academy. The rules I posted are verbatim from the academy's website.

It is honestly not even required to see a movie to vote for it. The Academy works on an honor system. Plenty of people vote for things they haven't seen.

You don't even NEED to send screeners to Academy members. It is all very discretionary. All you are describing is part of the Oscar campaign. An Oscar campaign is different from an Oscar submission. You can very well submit a movie to the Academy and NOT do a campaign. About 300 movies yearly submit to the academy and only about 80 or so mount campaigns because it is expensive.

So again - campaigns and submissions are different. Williams could submit the paperwork and be done with it. Nov 15 is the paperwork submission deadline. The voting begins much later! And trust me, before voting begins, Disney will make sure that the academy members have seen the film.

8 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

There is NO requirement to send the movie to the academy. The rules I posted are verbatim from the academy's website.

It is honestly not even required to see a movie to vote for it. The Academy works on an honor system. Plenty of people vote for things they haven't seen.

You don't even NEED to send screeners to Academy members. It is all very discretionary. All you are describing is part of the Oscar campaign. An Oscar campaign is different from an Oscar submission. You can very well submit a movie to the Academy and NOT do a campaign. About 300 movies yearly submit to the academy and only about 80 or so mount campaigns because it is expensive.

So again - campaigns and submissions are different. Williams could submit the paperwork and be done with it. Nov 15 is the paperwork submission deadline. The voting begins much later! And trust me, before voting begins, Disney will make sure that the academy members have seen the film.

It IS a requirement for Academy members to have a chance to see the movie prior to voting, it even says so in the rules and wouldn't make any sense otherwise. No one has said anything about the need for a campaign, I would actually argue that Disney's priority will be to protect the film as long as possible (and not screen it early) over a chance for a nomination in a crafts category. I guess we will have to see what happens, but it seems clear that the score either won't qualify or that Disney will have to make very special and unusual arrangements to make this happen.

1 hour ago, DJan said:

1 hour ago, DJan said:

It IS a requirement for Academy members to have a chance to see the movie prior to voting, it even says so in the rules and wouldn't make any sense otherwise. No one has said anything about the need for a campaign, I would actually argue that Disney's priority will be to protect the film as long as possible (and not screen it early) over a chance for a nomination in a crafts category. I guess we will have to see what happens, but it seems clear that the score either won't qualify or that Disney will have to make very special and unusual arrangements to make this happen.

You are conflating the two deadlines. The submission deadline for the paperwork is Nov 15. The voting for the nominations begins Jan 2 and ends Jan 7. 

I can absolutely assure that you do NOT have to see a movie to vote for it. That is unenforceable. The nomination voting form has 5 blanks where you have to enter the names of the movies you are voting for. There is absolutely no verification that you have seen a movie or not. How on earth will the academy verify for 8000 members spread around the globe as to whether they have seen a film or not? That's absurd.

1 minute ago, TheUlyssesian said:

You are conflating the two deadlines. The submission deadline for the paperwork is Nov 15. The voting for the nominations begins Jan 2 and ends Jan 7. 

I can absolutely assure that you do NOT have to see a movie to vote for it. That is unenforceable. The nomination voting form has 5 blanks where you have to enter the names of the movies you are voting for. There is absolutely no verification that you have seen a movie or not. How on earth will the academy verify for 8000 members spread around the globe as to whether they have seen a film or not? That's absurd.

Seems like you're missing the point. Voting for the short list is happening in early December and it needs to be happen then because of the actual nomination phase in January you're talking about. In order for the score to get shortlisted, Disney need to give voting Academy music branch members very early access to the film, which is all that article and myself are questioning. Of course, the Academy can't control if a member is voting on something they haven't seen, but if they can't possibly hear a score in context of the movie, there is no way for it to get shortlisted in December and ultimately nominated in January. 

9 hours ago, DJan said:

Seems like you're missing the point. Voting for the short list is happening in early December and it needs to be happen then because of the actual nomination phase in January you're talking about. In order for the score to get shortlisted, Disney need to give voting Academy music branch members very early access to the film, which is all that article and myself are questioning. Of course, the Academy can't control if a member is voting on something they haven't seen, but if they can't possibly hear a score in context of the movie, there is no way for it to get shortlisted in December and ultimately nominated in January. 

There's no way Disney will screen the film a month earlier just to grant an eventual Best Score nomination. Aside from the likely fact JJ will tinker with the film until the last minute (and like what happened for VII, he could ask JW to rescore scenes very late in the game), the Mouse and Bad Robot won't risk any kind of leak, especially considering what's at stake here.

Of course they could be already working to have the film premiered before their usual timing (TFA and TLJ premiered around 10-8 days before theatrical release), but let's be honest: box office is much more important than awards for a film like this.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It probably won't be eligible because it'll be a copy of his other score... wait, if they were enforcing that rule, he would never be nominated!

Uh oh, you've only gone and said it. You're on your own now, pal!

I don’t think a win is impossible, depending on the competition and quality of the score. If Disney decides to make a big deal of it, the fact that this is his last SW score and he hasn’t won in 26 years could be compelling narratives for voters.

And his age as well. I mean, it worked for Morricone. Granted, he also had the “bridesmaid but never a bride” thing going for him.