Just lucked out on a bunch of RARE original John Williams soundtracks on vinyl- including "Diamond Head"!!

radioflyer

I love Diamond Head very much.

That's the first big movie project of Williams released as an album, although the theme is from another composer.

I always found it odd that Missouri Breaks got a soundtrack release back then but The Cowboys did not.  The Cowboys was more successful and the music is better and more marketable.  The Missouri Breaks was a dumpster fire of a production behind the scenes, wasn't it?

The early 70s was a bad time to be a JW fan. A lot of scores went unreleased. Why they didn't release THE COWBOYS at the time (outside the "promo" LP), I don't know. Maybe those of you who own the expanded release can check the liner notes. I'm sure it's in there.

1 hour ago, MrScratch said:

I always found it odd that Missouri Breaks got a soundtrack release back then but The Cowboys did not.  The Cowboys was more successful and the music is better and more marketable.  The Missouri Breaks was a dumpster fire of a production behind the scenes, wasn't it?

Could be because The Missouri Breaks was 1976, after Williams really hit it big with Jaws, so his name was more marketable than in 1972.

18 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

Could be because The Missouri Breaks was 1976, after Williams really hit it big with Jaws, so his name was more marketable than in 1972.

But he had quite a lot of soundtracks released in the 60s. More, overall, than the early 70s, for some reason.

1 minute ago, Ghostbusters II said:

I like the Earthquake sounds on the Earthquake OST. Adds a ton of charm to the album.

Ugh. Personally hate it when they add sound effects to soundtracks. With EARTHQUAKE, I can just remove the track from my playlist (if memory serves), but I remember those old Kunzel/Cincinatti Pops albums, they were actually ingrained in the tracks themselves.

Off topic, but the Terminator recording on The Big Picture album is fantastic (being a hybrid electronic/orchestral reimagining) and the opening sfx that eventually morphs into the percussion line of the theme itself really adds to the fun of that piece.

Oh, and the Earthquake opening sfx before the Main Title on that LP (and the VS CD that I own) are a great bit of 70s cheese.

Just a pity that the opening track of Dracula lacked sfx of wolf howls followed by creaking coffin hinges :)

4 hours ago, MrScratch said:

I absolutely love the music though. John Williams in dusty country mode is cool AF.