The Phantom Menace is 20 years old.

The only thing I don't really like about BTTF is the ending where the family is now more wealthy, successful and therefore happy. Marty's brother is apparently being shamed at the start of the movie because he works in the service industry and takes public transportation? His family at the start of the movie feels more real. They all lose their charm when history has been altered.

1 minute ago, Ghostbusters II said:

The only thing I don't really like about BTTF is the ending where the family is now more wealthy, successful and therefore happy. Marty's brother is apparently being shamed at the start of the movie because he works in the service industry and takes public transportation? His family at the start of the movie feels more real. They all lose their charm when history has been altered.

I think if they knew they were going to make two sequels, they wouldn't have done that ending the same way.  It was meant as like a funny stinger after the real end of the story.

3 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

That's very '80s, though. It absolutely fits for the time in which it was made. Gale and Zemeckis poked fun at that yuppie-friendly mindset in the sequels (making Biff into Donald Trump) but there are a lot of movies made in that period where the subtext was essentially "if you're not driving this car, living in a house with this many bedrooms, and your wardrobe doesn't include this many polo pastels and sweaters to wrap around your shoulders, you're probably a bad American who deserves whatever they get." 

The Reagan Years were really mean-spirited and superficial as a rule. 

But the decade also gave us Tom Waits' Rain Dogs and Pee-wee's Big Adventure, a movie that is the polar opposite of the worst cultural norms of that time period.

Also, phones and/or computer monitors make for very expensive birdcage liner, and I would hope nobody's actually attempting that as a remedy for their pet's housekeeping routine. 

Birds as housepets has always seemed sorta cruel anyway. The whole point of them is to be in the air somewhere. Not trapped in a cage in a house, forced to poop on confused old people's electronics. 

Untrue. Big Adventure was only possible in that time period.

Lol at the tree hugger attitude. 

Just now, JoeinAR said:

Untrue. Big Adventure was only possible in that time period.

Yes, and I'm saying it represents the best of it.  Big hearted and silly and a celebration of genuine weirdos, unlike most 80s comedies which were typically mean-spirited and based around sexual humiliation and enforcement of "traditional" values at their hearts.

Your memory of the 80s sounds victimized 

There is someone you should talk to.

10 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Pee-Wee predicted the man children of the 2010s.

If the man children of today were more like Pee-wee the world would be a more fun place.  They don't build Rube Goldberg breakfast machines, they just make angry petitions and comments online.

Omg people I just fed you a line on a silver platter. 

1 hour ago, Larry O said:

That's very '80s, though. It absolutely fits for the time in which it was made. Gale and Zemeckis poked fun at that yuppie-friendly mindset in the sequels (making Biff into Donald Trump) but there are a lot of movies made in that period where the subtext was essentially "if you're not driving this car, living in a house with this many bedrooms, and your wardrobe doesn't include this many polo pastels and sweaters to wrap around your shoulders, you're probably a bad American who deserves whatever they get." 

The Reagan Years were really mean-spirited and superficial as a rule. 

Exhibit A: basically every John Hughes movie

1 hour ago, Bayesian said:

Exhibit A: basically every John Hughes movie

I disagree.  Look closer.  Sure, Hughes had a crass side and, as an ad-man, had a keen sense of what the public wanted to see, but, in portraying the characters and the time he did, he took things apart, and focused on the immaterial, love, friendship, relationships and the like.  The rich polo shirt sweater people in Pretty In Pink are shown to be shallow fools.  In The Breakfast Club, Hughes gives us kids who are excluded or trapped by contemporary society.  He did not preach a message of fitting in, nor of standing out, but merely of being.  It is subtle, and all the more brilliant for it.

And still DisneyConcert won't issue a Live-to-Projection concert of TPM, this year...

...or maybe I'm bitching to soon.

I never even knew people complained about the yuppie ending to BTTF until I heard Zemeckis talk about it on the DVD extras. I don't mind it really. This isn't dark and disturbing cinema, it's a simple crowdpleaser where the visual language needs to splash a strong contrast between the down-in-the-dumps situation the family was in at the beginning, to the happier and successful version of themselves in the altered timeline. People need to see very plainly how much of an impact Marty's actions in the past made on the timeline, which made George a more motivated and positive person. And in the visual language, yeah nicer stuff can be a circumstantial result of that.

16 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Its got Huey Lewis in it so it can't be that great

At least he's not taking a piss :D

17 hours ago, Romão said:

TPM was a deeply flawed movie, but what a score. It goes through an immensity of orchestral colors and moods. It's one of the biggest showcases of JW's flair

Very. Well. Said. The OST doesn't do the score justice. Taken in its complete (and I use that word advisedly) form, it's among the very best JW scores, of the 90s.

9 minutes ago, The Original said:

I spent 20 years trying to get us ready for this. We used their technology to strengthen our planet. But it won't be enough.

Yellow card!  No quoting Resurgence.