Alan Menken's ALADDIN (2019)

Fargo

Just found out the soundtrack has been released, streaming it now on Google Music. I have very low expectations for the film, but hopefully the music is good. 

Seems weird it's been released already instead of waiting for Friday like normal. A Google search says the OST release date is the 27th, so idk why it's up for streaming now.

For context on why I think the film will be disappointing:

Ugh.

I really was hoping the live-action Beauty and the Beast would improve on the 1991 original to some capacity (as it's among my least favorite Disney movies), but they somehow made it even worse (beyond making Belle's pop more likable, I guess). 

Oh yes, I would absolutely love to see him do something completely different -- like an urban action movie or something. He's fantastic at what he does, of course, but I'd like to see him try his hands on more genres.

Will Smith singing is absolutely horrible. He really does look really bad and the movie looks like garbage.

And what's shocking - I have seen Alladin on Broadway and it is genuinely a good show. It is entertaining and big and there are so many set-pieces. I thought this should translate to live action big screen pretty easily. Apparently not.

Looks like the completely butchered the film. I actually like the animated original and the score is an absolute classic - not just the songs but the score proper too.

Man, those songs are terrible. I mean the new takes. Of all the Disney remakes to attempt, this is the one that should've been thrown out first. Nobody can ever replace Robin Williams, and Will Smith's showing (just from a few clips) looks like a disgrace to the original. 

Dissapotining that Menken has been reverted to polishing previous original music. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

What?!? BEAUTY AND THE BEAST is one of the best films of the entire 90s!

I know it's me, not the movie's fault. I know it's not a bad movie. My dislike is largely irrational. 

But I'd much rather take the Cocteau film, thanks. 

And Susan Egan is a way better Belle than Paige O'Hara. 

Listened to it and the album sounds horrible.  I know they were going for a modern sound but, damn, there is so much bass at times that it drowns out the lyrics.  Even the score tracks don't escape the waves of bass overkill.  It's just not a pleasant album to listen too.

I've enjoyed these remakes mostly, not loved them but enjoyed them and was really excited for Aladdin, since it is one of my favorite Disney movies.  They've butchered these songs on the album so I don't hold out much hope for the movie, which is really disappointing.

I can't get over the changes to my favorite song, "One Jump Ahead"... The bit at 0:44 for instance would have benefited greatly from NOT having that stupid drum beat and electric guitar underneath it. And, maybe having some of the cast sing actual notes every now and then would have been nice. It just sounds absolutely terrible.

Compare Will Smith's "Friend Like Me" to Robin Williams'. Williams actually manages to sing the pitches of the song, while still remaining incredibly entertaining. Will Smith is not only boring, but he does this rap-esque speak-singing that is unfortunately rampant in so many of these songs as well as in today's music in general. If he wanted to switch things up later in the song that's one thing, but it would have been nice to hear him sing the actual melody properly once, at least for the people who aren't already familiar with the tunes and are trying to get a grasp on how the song goes...

Also not thrilled by how the final track, "Friend Like Me (Finale)" is actually just the orchestral backing of part of the album's earlier Will Smith version. A bit deceptive to not have "(Instrumental)" instead of "(Finale)" next to the title IMO, when we're not actually getting anything new. It would have been nice to get a proper instrumental arrangement of the tune. Sadly, one listen to it and you can instantly tell the melody is missing. (Which makes it even more egregious that Will Smith didn't bother to sing the melody in the song track—without the singer, in some spots there is literally no one playing the tune!)

9 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Wait - GUY RITCHIE made this??!

What in the mother of fuck

Indeed. Most bizarre director casting ever. I mean, I love the guy's early work, but this is just silly.

There must be a scene during the carpet chase where Daniel Craig catches a gun and throws it back at a guy.

I'm a bit of a sap, but I like this version of the Whole New World song.

2 hours ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Yo, rug man! Haven't seen you in a few millennia! Give me some tassel! Yo yo!

It's ass-hot spankable, chief!

Re: Menken

I like Little Shop of Horrors. 

4 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

What's the habit of people sing-talking the lyrics in modern musicals? Started with Les Mis. And then Blunt in Poppins.

And again more it seems the leads are not singing but talking the lyrics with minor inflections.

That bugs me too. Quite a turnoff in Mary Poppins Returns, for one. And Beauty and the Beast, d'oh. Surely Emma Watson was recorded in a cardboard box, no? At least Luke Evans rocked a few lines. 

La La Land had a few more talky songs, but it's very natural and perhaps evocative. Even still, they sing!

I’ll always love Little Mermaid. Rescuers Down Under is ai’ight.

I like certain characters in Disney movies afer that (Zazu, Jafar & Iago), but on the whole, meh. They’re very white slices of white bread Oscar bait pandering.

Is that really Smith singing Arabian Nights in the opening song? Because it sucks. The way he sings "Arayyyyyyy-beeeeee-an" in the opening song was the first warning sign...

As for that clip above? Yikes.

I'm so, so sorry Robin Williams.

While there’s nobody on this Earth who could possibly live up to Robin Williams portrayal as the Genie, I feel should they have cast a real comedian for the live action role.... although I don’t know who....

I just listened to the songs. I think they sound fine - clearly with a rapper playing the Genie, the songs would have a clear rap slant.  I’d rather they try to do something different with these things.

With that said, reviews for the movie are pretty poor and I was burned by watching the Beauty and the Beast remake, so I doubt I’ll watch this one.

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Also isn't the tempo too slow for most of the songs. They seem so sluggish and lethargic.

Compensating for a live action portrayal I guess. Actors are always going to be slower than an animated counterpart.

Just another reason why these live action remakes are a waste of time and energy. 

I know I’m going against the tide here, but I actually LOVE the new score and song adaptations. The contemporary sound is great and a fine complement to the ‘92 version. (I cant get enough of the neat harmonies in One Step Ahead!) And Will Smith does just fine too—wisely, he’s not trying to mimic RW (an impossible, hopeless goal) but instead makes the lyrics his own. He’s not a singer, he’s a rapper, and so he raps. No big deal. 

I think we can appreciate this remake for what it is, especially knowing that the original will always be around to enjoy too.

Now to see if the actual movie is any good...

I thought A Whole New World was actually pretty good, but the rest stink. I mean... really, really stink. Will Smith's songs are completely unlistenable to me. 

Also disappointed there's no Prince Ali (Reprise) by whoever plays Jafar - that's one of my favorite shorter songs from the original movie.

Listened to the whole thing today and it's just, in a few words, fucking awful. 

All the modern drum or synth elements slapped over the top of Menken's orchestrations are going to date the score horribly. It's such an anachronism alongside all the ethnic/middle eastern writing in a period story -- what the hell were they thinking?!

And everything with Smith is horrifically bad, like nails on a chalkboard. All the "Disney-fying" of Williams' characterisations is downright cynical. Way to miss the entire point of Robin's performance, idiots!

And to echo the thoughts above, the whole rap/talking approach to the songs, rather than actually singing in harmony with the melody, is a huge failure. Why even bother having the songs if you're just going to pay them lip service?

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Listened to the whole thing today and it's just, in a few words, fucking awful. 

All the modern drum or synth elements slapped over the top of Menken's orchestrations are going to date the score horribly. It's such an anachronism alongside all the ethnic/middle eastern writing in a period story -- what the hell were they thinking?!

And everything with Smith is horrifically bad, like nails on a chalkboard. All the "Disney-fying" of Williams' characterisations is downright cynical. Way to miss the entire point of Robin's performance, idiots!

And to echo the thoughts above, the whole rap/talking approach rather than actually singing in harmony with the melody is a huge failure. Why even bother having the songs if you're just going to pay lip service to them? 

I’ve always found myself agreeing with your posts and insights... except here. But that’s ok, to each his own! Maybe I’m too easy to please. But I admit I’m a little surprised at the visceral negative reaction here. 

Jafar really deserved a full, complete song instead of a reprise as good as it is.  I believe that was the plan originally for the '92 film but was scrapped.  Or I could be thinking of Aladdin's song...

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

What the, this amazing reprise isn't in the movie?! 

Not sure sure if it's in the movie, but it wasn't on the OST. I have zero plans to see the movie so maybe I'll never know the truth.

2 hours ago, Balahkay said:

Jafar really deserved a full, complete song instead of a reprise as good as it is.  I believe that was the plan originally for the '92 film but was scrapped.  Or I could be thinking of Aladdin's song...

Can confirm.

This seemed like a pretty fair summation of the movie to me. He says Smith is the least of the film's problems, and its failures are ultimately bad direction, questionable design choices, and flat performances from all bar Smith. The sets and costumes looking glossy and clean don't help.

Just found out the kid who's starring as Aladdin in this actually comes from my hometown. He went to a high school about 5 minutes away from my own. 

Film looks awful though.