Jump to content
Fargo

Alan Menken's ALADDIN (2019)

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

If they ever do The Little Mermaid he can be Ursula:

 

They almost did it already, it was to star Chloe Grace Moretz with music by Lin-Manuel Miranda, but she later backed out and everything got delayed.  It's starting filming next year now

 

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/the-little-mermaid/246655/the-little-mermaid-movie-casts-chloe-grace-moretz-as-lead

 

https://ew.com/article/2016/08/16/little-mermaid-lin-manuel-miranda-alan-menken/

 

https://www.her.ie/entertainment/heres-why-chloe-grace-moretz-dropped-out-of-little-mermaid-live-action-remake-311718

 

https://thedisinsider.com/2019/04/15/brand-new-production-details-for-disneys-live-action-the-little-mermaid-revealed/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait for the reveal that in the remake, Triton and Sebastian will now be a gay couple, and we'll get lots of articles and tumblr posts about how "woke" and "totally progressive" Disney is. Then the movie comes out and the promised gayness only amounts to "exchanging eye contact for two seconds".

Or we'll get interviews with the (white male) director about how the movie is now much more feminist, as now Ariel doesn't make mistakes, she does everything perfect and everyone else is wrong, so GIRL POWER.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you've ever been to a Disney theme park, you'll know that females of all ages adore the character of Ariel. When she appears in anything, it's like Beatlemania. This is a character that all she really did was swoon over some guy she'd never even met and bargained away everything she had just to be with him. Obviously NOT a good role model, but most people really don't care. I feel that is very telling in these woke Trumpian times. It's like a Freudian slip by women.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

If you've ever been to a Disney theme park, you'll know that females of all ages adore the character of Ariel. When she appears in anything, it's like Beatlemania. This is a character that all she really did was swoon over some guy she'd never even met and bargained away everything she had just to be with him. Obviously NOT a good role model, but most people really don't care. I feel that is very telling in these woke Trumpian times. It's like a Freudian slip by women.

 

You know they are going to change the plot. No way will Disney have a female lead give up everything for a man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So does Menken actually write the original score these films? I’ve read various rumours that there are composers who just adapt his songs into a score. I think James Horner may have mentioned something about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I can't wait for the reveal that in the remake, Triton and Sebastian will now be a gay couple, and we'll get lots of articles and tumblr posts about how "woke" and "totally progressive" Disney is. Then the movie comes out and the promised gayness only amounts to "exchanging eye contact for two seconds".

Or we'll get interviews with the (white male) director about how the movie is now much more feminist, as now Ariel doesn't make mistakes, she does everything perfect and everyone else is wrong, so GIRL POWER.

 

 

I miss movies where characters were flawed and struggled to overcome insurmountable odds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alex said:

So does Menken actually write the original score these films? I’ve read various rumours that there are composers who just adapt his songs into a score. I think James Horner may have mentioned something about it.

 

I don't know. I think he does it himself. But it would be a load off my shoulders if others did it, as I wouldn't really want his name associated with these terrible adaptations.

 

The movie should be premiering all over the place this weekend. I'm curious to see if some of you share my disgust of the film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is just about every post in this thread a whiney question?

 

:|

 

Anyway, saw this today and honestly I really enjoyed it. Thought the leads were terrific, Will Smith's Genie was fun and likeable and I had no major issues at all with the film. I got my money's worth and I'm satisfied. I love the original and think this honours that one while bringing it into the live action domain for today's audiences.

 

Honestly I think internet culture has turned everyone into a bunch of whinging moan-asses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 12:47 PM, JTWfan77 said:

Anyway, saw this today and honestly I really enjoyed it. Thought the leads were terrific, Will Smith's Genie was fun and likeable and I had no major issues at all with the film. I got my money's worth and I'm satisfied. I love the original and think this honors that one while bringing it into the live action domain for today's audiences.

 

Honestly I think internet culture has turned everyone into a bunch of whinging moan-asses.

 

I just came back from seeing the film after much debate; having grown up with the original animated classic, I had doubts about this (it was the first film I ever saw, actually, at two years old). I enjoyed both Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella and Jon Favereau's The Jungle Book (I stayed well clear from seeing those two Wonderland abominations, the Maleficent abomination, Beauty and the Beast 2017 crap and Dumbo 2019 crap, as I knew those films were not worth seeing). I actually watched the original the night before for the heck of it. This is basically my sentiments. It had quite a few flaws, mostly technical, like the pacing in the beginning (it felt like it went by too quickly), some moments in "One Jump Ahead" that looked like the footage was sped up slightly to match the pace of the song, some visuals felt underwhelming (Cave of Wonders especially, "A Whole New World"), and I felt at times that Marwan Kenzari's portrayal of Jafar was underwhelming. The film was ultimately better than I thought it would be. Naomi Scott (particularly) and Will Smith were great in their respective roles. I liked the new elements in the story. “Speechless” is a really good song, and Naomi Scott nailed it with her singing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

 

It had some flaws, mostly technical, like the pacing in the beginning (and I felt at times that Marwan Kenzari's portrayal of Jafar was underwhelming)

 

The trailers don’t do him any favors. But he doesn’t come across menacing at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel with Jafar the filmmakers deliberately tried to avoid making him into a moustache twirling camp villain (which works for the broader animated version but would have been silly for live action). I had no issue with that. This film focuses more on Jasmine and Aladdin's story and less on the Aladdin vs Jafar aspect. I didn't even miss the 

Spoiler

Snake Jafar climax 

of the original.

 

Loved the score and was quite happy with the new renditions of the old songs within the film. The end credit Whole New World however is beyond atrocious.

 

Have to say I honestly didn't think of Robin Williams when watching Smith's Genie, he makes the role his own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trailers don’t really do the film favors. As far as music goes, the only thing I hated and the film could have done without was the end credit version of “Friend Like Me” with Will Smith and DJ Khaled. I also was not a fan of Zayn Malik and Zhavua Ward’s take on “A Whole New World.” Everything else was okay. Alan Menken’s score was good, and I liked “A Whole New World.” Will Smith’s takes of “Friend Like Me” and “Prince Ali” were entertaining within the film and I had fun with that. I felt “One Jump Ahead” could have been better. “Speechless” was a great new song, though I was a little disappointed in the way Part 2 of the song was utilized in the film. I believe the technical flaws I mentioned come down to the director. I don’t think Guy Richie was the right director for this project. I need to really dive into reflection and go into more detail to give my final rating of this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 3:29 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Btw, why isn't Will Smith blue on the poster? Did they run out of paint?

 

last ned.jpeg

Because if blackface is racist, so is blueface. 

 

The poster makes Jafar be Aladdin's crotch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really surprised by all the negativity in this thread. I was grinning ear to ear the entire film. Really great fun.

 

As for the score, I love Middle Eastern music, so I thought the entire thing was an extraordinarily well done example of fusion with that genre. Menken really impressed me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

 

On 5/26/2019 at 2:26 PM, JohnnyD said:

I just came back from seeing the film after much debate; having grown up with the original animated classic, I had doubts about this (it was the first film I ever saw, actually, at two years old). I enjoyed both Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella and Jon Favereau's The Jungle Book (I stayed well clear from seeing those two Wonderland abominations, the Maleficent abomination, Beauty and the Beast 2017 crap and Dumbo 2019 crap, as I knew those films were not worth seeing). I actually watched the original the night before for the heck of it. This is basically my sentiments. It had quite a few flaws, mostly technical, like the pacing in the beginning (it felt like it went by too quickly), some moments in "One Jump Ahead" that looked like the footage was sped up slightly to match the pace of the song, some visuals felt underwhelming (Cave of Wonders especially, "A Whole New World"), and I felt at times that Marwan Kenzari's portrayal of Jafar was underwhelming. The film was ultimately better than I thought it would be, and my expectations for this ranged from mild to low. Mena Massoud felt flat at times with his acting. Naomi Scott (particularly) and Will Smith were great in their respective roles. I liked the new elements in the story and the film. “Speechless” is a really good song, and Naomi Scott nailed it with her singing. The trailers don’t really do the film favors. As far as music goes, the only thing I hated and the film could have done without was the end credit version of “Friend Like Me” with Will Smith and DJ Khaled. I also was not a fan of Zayn Malik and Zhavua Ward’s take on “A Whole New World.” Everything else was okay. Alan Menken’s score was good, and I liked “A Whole New World.” Will Smith’s takes of “Friend Like Me” and “Prince Ali” were entertaining within the film and I had fun with that. I felt “One Jump Ahead” could have been better; it was okay. “Speechless” was a great new song, though I was a little disappointed in the way Part 2 of the song was utilized in the film. I believe the technical flaws I mentioned come down to the director. I don’t think Guy Richie was the right director for this project. I need to really dive into reflection and go into more detail to give my final rating of this.

 

I thought about it for a while, and here is my final assessment, and this includes the positives mentioned above. With Aladdin 2019, I felt the positives did not necessarily outweigh the negatives. It is a mixed bag. First of all, again, Guy Ritchie was the wrong choice for this film. "One Jump Ahead" featured a few blatantly obvious shots where the footage was slightly sped up to match the tempo of the song. It felt awkward. "A Whole New World" should have had more overwhelming visuals. Speaking of which, some of the visuals were underwhelming, and some of the CGI was not convincing. When it came to the monkey, there were a lot of instances and shots where the CGI monkey was obviously CGI. Could they not utilize an actual trained monkey? The instance of slow-motion when Aladdin is thrown into the water felt unnecessary and unintentionally made me chuckle because of the way it looked. The way the Cave of Wonders is depicted is disappointing, especially compared to the original. I get that this is a live action medium, and they are trying to be more realistic, but you are dealing with a story that deals with a magic lamp and a genie; come on. The portrayal of Jafar was very underwhelming and ultimately disappointing; there was only one or two instances I can remember where he seemed legitimately threatening (his introduction where he killed that guy by kicking him down the well, and when he nearly killed the sultan, but his line delivery was just not convincing). The reprise of "Speechless" was very weak; it was in Jasmine's mind. The film literally stopped so she could have this big musical number. I liked the speech she made after the song, but it would have been more powerful if the song was happening in the actual moment instead of being in the character's mind. Ultimately, I like that there are elements in this that make it kind of stand apart from the original and compliment it, but I am conflicted about this movie even existing. I did forget to mention that there was a dance sequence in the film that was choreographed well and was also very hilarious with the comedy aspect of the sequence. Again, though, the positives don't outweigh the negatives. Honestly, when you think "Aladdin", does this film come immediately to mind, or is your first thought directed toward the original 1994 animated classic?

 

My final rating for this film is a 5 out of 10. It is not a horrible film, but it is not great. It was better than I thought it would be, but that is not saying much. I thought Cinderella and The Jungle Book were a lot better; I could watch the original animated classics along with the live action adaptations, as they seemed to compliment the originals while adding new details that add to the story being told in a worthy way. Ultimately, why does this film exist apart from making money, which it is making a ton of for unjustified reasons? Overall, when it comes to Aladdin, or ANY of the Walt Disney animated classics, just stick with the original.

 

Completely pointless and unwarranted. Enough is enough! NO MORE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...