NEW Rise of Skywalker Vanity Fair Article includes picture of Williams conducting

Disco Stu

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

HOLY SHIT!!!

That is ... not TFA... well, that's a deleted scene from TFA but with an entirely new background composited in! And it matches the shot and clothing of Leia as seen in the TROS trailer!!!

JW is already recording TROS?!

!!!!

Yeah, the photo itself may be specifically lit or regraded, but it was taken at a recording session. Which means something is/was being recorded.

Someone zoom in and mock the sheet up!

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

They still needed to be scoring the film to do such a thing!

Precisely. The shot itself may be "staged" but clearly it was a real session.

And yeah for the last two, to keep musicians from leaking stuff they only had the movie playing at John's private screen on the conductor's stand.

Photo analysis coming! Hold tight people!

Also, it's conceivable this might be a trailer session? Unlikely, but possible. Either way, it's a new shot from the film that's never been seen before. I will prove that isn't from TFA.

Wow!

Spoiler

And they unveiled the Knights of Ren! And Luke with R2?! There's heaps of new shit revealed in that article!!

Just now, TownerFan said:

Picture was likely taken last month during the sessions for the Anne-Sophie Mutter album. The Leia frame on the screen seems photoshopped in.

That would be diabolical!

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

That would be diabolical!

No, it's just publicity :)

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Do we know what room that is? Sony?

yes, it's Sony Scoring Stage.

1 minute ago, TownerFan said:

No, it's just publicity :)

This would be not only diabolical but weird as heck.  A picture of a scoring session hardly seems absolutely necessary for the article.  Why go through the trouble of faking one?

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That would definitely support the photo-shopped Mutter session theory.

It also appears to have no session numbers in the title. So whatever they're recording wouldn't have been for any particular scene for the new film.

It's entirely possible they could have just done a session of classic SW repertoire for a publicity session (photos/interview/DVD commentary/etc etc).

There is something really phony about the John Williams image.  There are only four violins (two first and two seconds), four violas, at least three cellos.  All the players are dressed in black which is just odd unless they were "directed".  I wonder if this is just a photo shoot and not from a session.  No time code in the stills...

star-wars-feature-vf-2019-summer-embed-11.jpg

39 minutes ago, crumbs said:

In a rather staggering coincidence, the podium in shot is the exact same podium from the TFA featurette! Please marvel at my forensic masterwork:

JWfan is a family forum, not one of your swing joints. 

30 minutes ago, karelm said:

There is something really phony about the John Williams image.  There are only four violins (two first and two seconds), four violas, at least three cellos.  All the players are dressed in black which is just odd unless they were "directed".  I wonder if this is just a photo shoot and not from a session.

Hmm... yeah.. that’s interesting. Plus he actually hasn’t gotten into the studio yet to record TROS. I bet you’re right, they staged this for Annie Liebowitz. 

So my current working theory is that they’re making a tribute video to Leia/Fisher.  For it he is re-recording Leia’s Theme and they want to make sure the timing fits certain edits in the tribute video so it’s being recorded to picture. 

So many people with their minds in the gutter... tsk tsk.

Seems the going theory is these were taken during the Sophie-Mutter sessions. What is clear is that's an unreleased VFX shot of Leia from TROS. Note the same costume and CGI hair extension as the trailer shots.

KHekceu.jpg

Don't know if it the photo was Photoshopped in though; washing out the version in the projector is attention to detail I doubt they'd bother faking. However, I'm guessing that projector screen usually faces forward, right? Which means the projector would be mounted opposite the screen above the composer. That means it couldn't project the perfectly aligned image as seen in this photo unless the projector was moved to the adjacent side of the recording studio... so... ?

Annie Liebovitz isn't in the business of wholesale faking entire photos for the sake of... something (??)

It's a real picture of real musicians at a real scoring stage. Is the image of Leia on the projection screen touched up? Probably. Maybe. 

But the idea there'd be a whole bunch of trouble undertaken to specifically to fake a recording session for one of 15 Vanity Fair images for a purpose nobody here's even investigated the utility of...

I lurked before I came here (obviously) and I think it's worth mentioning that the collective's track record for spotting bullshit is shockingly low. You guys seem to most reliably believe in things that can't possibly true, and immediately and consistently dismiss legitimate information when it's openly and straightforwardly presented. 

John Williams is conducting something for musicians who are playing something in a studio where something's being recorded. There is a picture of Leia on the screen and on the monitor, and the sheet music pretty obviously says "Leia's Theme" on it. I don't know why there has to be anything more to it than that. Certainly don't understand why the veracity of what this very obviously is needs to be immediately questioned. 

Enjoy this stuff while you can, yunno? 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

So my current working theory is that they’re making a tribute video to Leia/Fisher.  For it he is re-recording Leia’s Theme and they want to make sure the timing fits certain edits in the tribute video so it’s being recorded to picture. 

With four violins, four violas, a bunch of horns and trombones?

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

Seriously though, nice work, I think that definitively proves this is a photo from the TFA recording sessions, and they photoshopped Leia from the TROS teaser onto the screen. 

It's definitely the same podium but there's significantly more markings in the 'newer' photo than the TFA one. If anything, that indicates this new photo was taken quite recently.

I checked the metadata of the photo but sadly it's been scrubbed (they often have an embedded 'date taken', which would've answered our questions).

3 minutes ago, Larry O said:

You guys seem to most reliably believe in things that can't possibly true, and immediately and consistently dismiss legitimate information when it's openly and straightforwardly presented.

Please cite examples?