Temple of Doom is 35 years old

Ricard

Clearly the 2nd Best Jones film. So much better than the two that would follow. Its definitely the most frantic and scariest of the series. Ford was at his best and the best endtitles of the four. Love the innovative mine car effects. Beautifully shot and different from all the others. It makes me cover my heart. 

Did I mention the great score other than the endtites. John would never be this good again in the series.

20 hours ago, Quintus said:

Lucas was going through a divorce in 1984 so FUCKIN' BLAH BLAH SUUUUUUURE

So??? The film was SHOT in 1983. 

10 hours ago, publicist said:

Gee KK, it's a bit like The Honorable Texas Oilmen Syndicate raising grave concerns about how J. R. Ewing is bastardizing their public image. It's a comic book movie and even the less bright american probably wasn't seduced into thinking he just saw an accurate portrayal of modern India. Your reasoning is probably not wrong per se but it's a teensy bit snobby preaching down to the less enlightened from the elevated position of one's own armchair pulpit.

Yea, yea, you're probably right. I just remember all this stuff hitting a nerve with a younger KK, with his own diasporic baggage. It can be easy to take this stuff seriously sometimes.

I think putting things in context always helps in understanding better some choices. The film was made when Spielberg and Lucas were at the peak of their personal success, they were truly kings of Hollywood and were saying to press things like "I could make a film about the phone book". They likely felt invincible. But success was about to taking a personal toll on their lives. So the "fortune and glory" motif of the film (and how Indy acts throughout) can be seen as a sort of meta-textual analogy of whio Spielberg and Lucas were at that time, in a way. I think the dark and gloomy elements of the film were more consequence of them wanting to be edgier (because, well, they could do whatever they want). But they counterbalanced all that with a much more comedic tone. The film is truly an amusement park ride.

Spielberg and Williams also hardly ever talk about THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS -- which is weird to me, because it's a fine film. They do talk about 1941 in the bonus material of that disc, but well aware of the film's shortcomings.

Spielberg is an opportunist at heart. He would only half-heartedly defend his movies where there is no broad positive consensus. TOD is the odd exception - even Pauline Kael loved it!

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Every film Spielberg i have seen has points of interest or things that tell me something about him.

Just read his biography, I Could Have Done More.

35 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Every film Spielberg i have seen has points of interest or things that tell me something about him.

Absolutely. Even turkeys like 1941 (although I can barely get through it).

I've seen it all, but I'm missing a few of the TV episodes that I've been unable to find, as well as the complete 'kiddie' films he did; only excerpts exist.

14 hours ago, Loert said:

This is my favourite JW score. There is literally never a dull moment in it.

It's a classic fun score, but as a piece of musical storytelling it's lacking in pathos for me to really connect with it too much, especially compared to Last Crusade and the like. My absolute favourites by Williams always tend to lean quite heavily into the more emotional/visceral side of the characters, or subjects. Temple of Doom is just a swashbuckler, which is fine.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm missing a few of the TV episodes that I've been unable to find, as well as the complete 'kiddie' films he did; only excerpts exist.

E.T.? Hook? BFG? Tintin?

Only excerpts were released as extras. Hopefully, they exist in their entirety in Spielberg's archives. FIRELIGHT looks particularly intriguing as a precursor to CE3K.

On 5/26/2019 at 3:20 PM, John said:

Alec Guinness in Lawrence of Arabia is more culturally offensive than anything in Temple of Doom!

Is there something you don’t understand, @The Illustrious Jerry?

I disagree, as I agree with Chen as he states:

On 5/26/2019 at 6:04 PM, Chen G. said:

As Faisal he’s fine. Try more Omar Sharif as Yuri Zhivago or Guiness as the Indian doctor in A Passage to India.

4 hours ago, The Original said:

I haven't seen:

The Sugarland Express

Empire of the Sun

Amistad

Bridge of Spies

Watchable, all of them. You SHOULD see only EOTS and Sugarland Express, really.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Screw that, dude. 1941 is a superb piece of technical filmmaking.

He saw enough of that superb technique in TOD.

It's 2 hours of non-stop screaming, gags and explosions augmented further by JW's over-the-top score. Too much for me. But there are things to like about it -- like the foggy cinematography that gives it a nice, 40s "air".