Quintus

RIP iTunes

28 minutes ago, mstrox said:

If they lose either the robust smart playlist features or Windows support, I’ll no longer be tethered to Apple devices.  Sounds kind of freeing

I freed myself from the apple infrastructure two years ago! 

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I only use iTunes because of my old iPod classic that is still alive and well. I wonder whether the new software will still support it?

Karol

Absolutely not! They want you to buy a new device instead.

I’m pretty sure you will still be able to use iTunes in the future on both windows and Mac. Right now you can use iTunes 9 if you want. The new music app will only come with the nee macOS which comes out in the end of September.

Apparently the new music app uses the same code as iTunes so it’s probably just about removing the non music parts of iTunes (like podcasts, movies and tv shows). I definitively hope they keep smart playlists and other more advanced features... and i think they will because if they were really dumbing it down, they would have just used the iPad music app code instead of iTunes.

1 hour ago, Mr. Who said:

I’m pretty sure you will still be able to use iTunes in the future on both windows and Mac. Right now you can use iTunes 9 if you want. The new music app will only come with the nee macOS which comes out in the end of September.

Apparently the new music app uses the same code as iTunes so it’s probably just about removing the non music parts of iTunes (like podcasts, movies and tv shows). I definitively hope they keep smart playlists and other more advanced features... and i think they will because if they were really dumbing it down, they would have just used the iPad music app code instead of iTunes.

Yeah they’re just splitting iTunes into its component parts. You’ll have separate music and podcast apps for example. 

I still plan to use ipods for a long time. Will they be supported?

This is fucking horrible, i spent 20 years organizing my itunes library like I want it .So now were at the the point  of making multiple copies of the existing software to make sure your devices run in the future

all my fears about music are coming through

And I don't get it,Apple released a new ipod Touch just last week .Does this mean that's the only ipod that's going to work in the future?

Question:  Is the itunes software package you download self contained and can be installed independently of the Apple website? (without an internet connection)

No. You turn off auto-updating on your computer. If it works now, don't upgrade and take the risk that it won't tomorrow. Download the executable file today and store it so you can install it on any new computer you buy later.

Ok, so I uninstalled itunes and re-installed it with the computer not  connected to the internet so it's not a "web installer" type thing.. So if you download and save the itunes installer your safe for now...at least until Windows 11.

But they just released the ipod Touch 7 , surely they have to keep the music library part of it somehow...how else are you supposed to put the music on the device,

It all seems like down the line they want to prevent you (or make it very hard) from listening to your own files and force a music subscription. I know most people will say good riddance to itunes and listen to whatever Spotify or Apple music tells them to listen to, but to me this is a catastrophy