MONSIGNOR - 2019 Intrada Edition features expanded film score

Roger Fiegelson:

"This is a reissue of an earlier Intrada release that was originally just a straight LP issue. Not only do we have a much better master of that LP program, but we have the complete program as well. The mix is a little different on the complete program so we're presenting both on this new release. Film dates from the early '80s."

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8163&sid=b88b39aceea62e9dbfa4a3874a31f7b4

Doug’s Corner:

"Also coming in this week are not one but two more CDs, one premiering yet more scary soundtrack music from one of our favorite veterans of the genre, as well as an expansion of a masterful 80’s title scored by a true master. Artwork, contents and sound samples will be available here tomorrow (June 3) eve. See you then!"

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.60330/.f

Sure hope it is indeed Monsignor!

Thanks to the posters (specifically TacktheCobbler) at FSM for the heads up.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=135529&forumID=1&archive=0

Meh. No interest. The 2007 Intrada album is perfect just the way it is. But perhaps it's getting hard to come by, so I'm open to a reissue for new fans.

My only gripe is why can't the album descriptions be written in paragraphs rather than one huge block of close-together text?? Pet hate! A guy used to send me emails five times as long all as one block of text. Reading it was a nightmare!

Happy for the unreleased Williams! 

text.jpg

Ordered as well! My JW collection’s gaps are slowly yet surely being plugged. 

This is the third JW release of 2019, which  is pretty decent (a new release every couple months), yet it still seems like 2019 has been something of a drought so far after being spoiled for JW releases in 2018. 

I was actually counting the Dudamel

and Hooten CDs as the first two releases. I forgot about Superman and GE! So we’re already up to four (and a half) releases for the year... I suppose I have nothing to gripe about after all. 

Rich, emotional John Williams classic gets expanded CD! 20th Century Fox presents, Frank Perry directs from Jack Alain Leger’s novel, Christopher Reeve, Genevieve Bujold, Fernando Rey, Adolfo Celi, Tomas Milian star. Newly ordained priest (Reeve) heads off to WWII service, witnesses violent death, ultimately lands position in Vatican post where he becomes embroiled in black market activities involving U.S. military and Mafia. Amidst moral challenges, priest meets and falls in love with young postulant (Bujold), adding to crisis of conscience. John Williams, deep in fertile period that included Raiders Of The Lost Ark, E.T.and Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi, anchors with beautifully expressive main theme spotlighting radiant trumpet of Maurice Murphy, celebrated soloist with London Symphony Orchestra who, interestingly, began his gem-filled career performing for Williams with LSO on initial Star Wars film in 1977. Williams created a multifaceted score combining not only the afore-mentioned expressive trumpet theme but also sequences ranging from deeply reflective to dramatically intense. Spotlight this time goes to magnificent 5-minute “Gloria”, scored for orchestra with organ and full chorus, heard in the film in celebratory sequence in Rome’s Cathedral of St. John and Paul. Intrada premiered the original 1982 Casablanca label LP program on a long out-of-print CD many years ago. That 1982 presentation contained much of the score in a unique mix made especially for the album, produced by Lionel Newman. Included were several sequences recorded expressly for the record, while two other cues heard in the actual film were dropped. Now, courtesy of 20th Century Fox and Universal Music Group, producer Michael Matessino works from the 1” 8-channel scoring session masters as well as the first-generation 1982 two-track album master, assembles the complete film soundtrack including the premiere release of the remaining two unreleased cues plus several minutes of additional unreleased soundtrack versions of sequences dropped in favor of special album takes on the 1982 LP. Maxing out this special Intrada CD is a fully re-mastered presentation of the 1982 Casablanca LP program in the best audio ever made available! Listeners can enjoy at last the complete soundtrack in the original film versions, mixed in stereo from the session elements AND the 1982 album with its unique mixes, all in one beautifully packaged release! Matessino provides informative liner notes, Kay Marshall designs the package. Eric Tomlinson records at EMI Abbey Road, John Williams composes, conducts the London Symphony Orchestra. Intrada Special Collection CD available while quantities and interest remain!

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.11896/.f?sc=13&category=-113

Monsignor_isc430_600a.jpg

Monsignor_isc430_600c2.jpg

great, but where's that  supposedly amazing unused "travel music" that Jay was talking about and mike wanted to release

PS:Ordered with Superman 3 c.d. from SAE .Might have to wait a few weeks before they get Superman back in stock though .Cost me 100$ cdn for these 2 releases

Even if I had saved 25% on the LLL sale if they had Superman in stock I'd have to repay shipping for this release so I guess nothing lost

At least the sound quality is improved. And isn't the new music on the film program around 3 minutes more because the the cues unique to the OST are not repeated. Anyways the Liner Notes would explain it correctly. 

The last issue came out when in 2007?

4 hours ago, King Mark said:

great, but where's that  supposedly amazing unused "travel music" that Jay was talking about and mike wanted to release

??? 

First I've heard of this.

well, only about 2 minutes of unreleased music, but I hope the sound quality upgrade is worth it

They should have included Esplanade Overture

well, I remember complaining endlessly  when the previous release was just a straight re-issue of the LP so I'm happy  

Now if they had only done Spacecamp , Witches of Eastwick and Accidental Tourist properly

13 hours ago, Thor said:

Meh. No interest. The 2007 Intrada album is perfect just the way it is. But perhaps it's getting hard to come by, so I'm open to a reissue for new fans.

It includes the original album, remastered and in an entirely separate presentation to the complete score.  There is nothing to complain about here.

Yes, as I said -- good for those who missed out on the 2007 release, and who can't find it for a decent price these days.

7 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

It includes the original album, remastered and in an entirely separate presentation to the complete score.  There is nothing to complain about here.

Its Thor. 

Well almost needless to say it but I ordered this. Interesting to hear if the film score actually differs audibly from the album mixes and to hear the little bits of the previously unreleased music.:)

Per MM over at the Intrada board...

In for the Matessino essay, alone....

Sorry to disappoint, but we had Jeff Eldridge update his notes for the new release and I just added the "tech talk" section.

Mike M.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=81419#p81419

I just realized I've never seen Jeff Eldridge's face. Even he's been a 'name' I've known about for more than two decades.