MONSIGNOR - 2019 Intrada Edition features expanded film score

5 hours ago, hornist said:

Oh, it sounds so weird(in a lovely way) and on youtube it says Miklos Rozsa. I was confused😂

It is so hardcore, people think it is Rozsa!  But, it is unmistakably JW, even if quite a bit different.  I do love it.

On 6/4/2019 at 5:49 AM, bollemanneke said:

Meh. Give me a shout when I can buy Hook and/or Far and Away.

If recent (2015 - present) patterns tell us anything, it's that non-marquee, single disc scores (Stanley & Iris, Cowboys, Monsignor, SPR) are released earlier in the year and the "tentpole", multi-disc releases (Home Alone, Jaws, JP, ET, CEOTK, Dracula, SL, HP) usually come out September - November time frame, Superman being the exception.  

Hook would definitely fall under the latter category, both in score quality and demand.  Far & Away is a great score but not exactly a great movie.  I'm not as familiar with F&A but I believe an expanded release would be a 2-disc set?  That might qualify it for a release later in the year.  Same goes with Amistad possibly now that I think of it.  A perfect contender for a single-disc, non-marquee release would be Always, I highly doubt we would see an expansion of that during Black Friday season! LOL

Taking my detective hat off now, always fun to speculate! :)

You're right, I thought A.I. was 2014 but it was in 2015..   :) Releases like 1941, EOTS, & A.I. certainly paved the way for the future releases and established the pattern we've seen since then.

11 hours ago, Incanus said:

And that theme is used elsewhere in the score as well in orchestral guise.

Santoni's Compassion ,which is actually my favorite track after Gloria

I never had any issues with the SQ on my Intraday (or the LP to CD mastered boot I had before that) so I'm sure this new remaster will sound revelatory.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Gloria is a bit over the top imo

I too always found it overtly bombastic, especially the first half. The piece gets a lot better when the secondary thematic idea (the “Et in terra pax ominibus” section) kicks in, with some wonderful contrapuntal writing later on. Overall, it’s a quite heavy handed composition, though.

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

“Gloria” is my least favorite cue on the OST.  Just the exact opposite of my taste.  “The Meeting in Sicily”/Esplanade Overture is my favorite for sure.

From what I remember, exactly my view as well.

The gloria still makes me afraid. It’s fucking drama!  I don’t remember the scene it was written for, maybe when Christopher Reeves’ character have his first erection.🤔

I remember taping Gloria with a Cassette recorder when the movie played on TV. I was obsessed in  finding the Monsignor LP which I never found (along with the Poltergeist LP)

8 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I remember taping Gloria with a Cassette recorder when the movie played on TV. I was obsessed in  finding the Monsignor LP which I never found (along with the Poltergeist LP)

I can understand taping music from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, NBC News, SeaQuest DSV and of course Star Trek on your Talkboy like I did, but this??

What are y'all hearing that I'm not.

I even remember the TV commercial for the movie in 1982 had those loud chords at the end of Gloria that kind of sound like parts of E.T. . I instantly knew it was JW and wanted that music

JW was nominater for a Razzie Award for this score

Did Williams really write the Gloria completely for the movie, or did he have the piece in mind beforehand?  Because I kind of find it hard to believe that the film inspired him to write it.

I have a soft spot for Gloria. The opening especially is so big and over-the-top it is simply...well...glorious. It is almost a cry for God to take notice. I haven't seen the film so I don't know if it actually serves some dramatic purpose in the context of the mass scene it underscores.

32 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I haven't seen the film so I don't know if it actually serves some dramatic purpose in the context of the mass scene it underscores.

Well, in the film I hear it only as source music and nothing more...

Although from what I remember some motifs from it are used later in a dramatic context.

12 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Well, in the film I hear it only as source music and nothing more...

Although from what I remember some motifs from it are used later in a dramatic context.

Indeed the musical ideas are subtly hinted at in the religioso writing in Audience with the Holy Father and very clearly elaborated on in Santoni's Compassion.

And it is interesting that the opening of the piece is so loud and melodramatic if it is just regular diegetic source music. A curious choice from Williams unless temp tracked or dictated by the director. 

On 6/5/2019 at 7:29 PM, King Mark said:

Santoni's Compassion ,which is actually my favorite track after Gloria

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

I have a soft spot for Gloria. The opening especially is so big and over-the-top it is simply...well...glorious. It is almost a cry for God to take notice. I haven't seen the film so I don't know if it actually serves some dramatic purpose in the context of the mass scene it underscores.

I think it’s cool how we all seem to have different favorites from this one.

My favorite track is At The Forum.

"Gloria" is a great piece, as is the whole score (for a lacklustre film), but surprisingly -- given its subject matter -- it doesn't really contain the 'religious/pastoral sound' of JW that I love so much. Perhaps it would have been too overt.

58 minutes ago, Thor said:

it doesn't really contain the 'religious/pastoral sound' of JW that I love so much. Perhaps it would have been too overt.

Perhaps that's covered by the few minutes that were missing from the OST. ;)

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

This is how a Gloria movement shall be done.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:11 PM, Thor said:

Meh. No interest. The 2007 Intrada album is perfect just the way it is. But perhaps it's getting hard to come by, so I'm open to a reissue for new fans.

No interest in improved sound?

I like Gloria from a technical perspective, kind of like Exultate Justi, and I enjoy listening to it, it’s massive choir, the religious statement. But it was never a favorite of mine.

But it’s good, joyful, classic Williams! It’s an impressive composition!

50 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Perhaps that's covered by the few minutes that were missing from the OST. ;)

This is how a Gloria movement shall be done.

Yeah that Vivaldi piece is ace.

20 hours ago, Bespin said:

The gloria still makes me afraid. It’s fucking drama!  I don’t remember the scene it was written for, maybe when Christopher Reeves’ character have his first erection.🤔

You and your bloody erections! :lol:

The music accompanies a scene in the Vatican where Chris Reeve is having some sort of ordination. The weird "miss hit" in the brass section, underscores the moment when he locks eyes with former lover, Bujold.