MONSIGNOR - 2019 Intrada Edition features expanded film score

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've never really enjoyed this score very much. Perhaps the additional minute will change my mind. :)

GLORIA is among the greatest single pieces of music that JW has ever written! End of.

I’d be surprised if they dug up an unheard masterpiece with a brand new, unheard melody, or a radically different arrangement/huge expansion of the main themes.

But I’d be pleasantly surprised! :P

The new music is somewhat similar to what was already on the 2007 release, but still nice to have everything included conveniently on one disc.  

Also, props to Intrada, this came in a box with an ample supply of packing peanuts to prevent damage.  No cracked case and no broken teeth! :)

Is there a difference between the 2 Gloria tracks on this c.d.?

A shorter version of this c.d. while being "complete:" would be Film Score Presentation+Meeting in Sicily? Or is there anything else exclusive to the album?

4 hours ago, King Mark said:

Is there a difference between the 2 Gloria tracks on this c.d.?

A shorter version of this c.d. while being "complete:" would be Film Score Presentation+Meeting in Sicily? Or is there anything else exclusive to the album?

At the Forum was also composed for the album I believe.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

How is the sound?

Huge improvement? Moderate? Barely noticeable?

The OST remaster sounds better than the 2007 version, it's warmer and more natural (i.e. less loud).

The film version presentation sounds significantly better, it's a crisp, warm Tomlinson recording that finally shines.

Thanks!

I get confused by the press release when they say stuff like “producer Michael Matessino works from the 1” 8-channel scoring session masters as well as the first-generation 1982 two-track album master” - which is supposedly the better source? I remember having the same problem with Jaws 2:P

Can’t wait to get my hands on my own copy!

25 minutes ago, rough cut said:

On the expanded edition - which of the two sound the best? Film score or soundtrack?

Both sound great to me, although unfortunately I do not have the best home audio equipment.

8 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Thanks!

I get confused by the press release when they say stuff like “producer Michael Matessino works from the 1” 8-channel scoring session masters as well as the first-generation 1982 two-track album master” - which is supposedly the better source? I remember having the same problem with Jaws 2:P

it's all conveniently explained by Mike on the "Tech Talk" section in the liner notes. They're both great sources to work with of course. In my opinion, the film presentation offers a better, more pleasing sonic experience, but we're talking about personal preferences here. One doesn't necessarily supersede the other. I'm glad Mike was able to preserve both presentations and that they're available together on the same album. Couldn't be better than this.

I know I’ve mentioned it (read: bragged about it) in another thread - but I just can’t help my self (sorry!)...

...but I recently got a whole new hi-if set-up - not your standard run-of-the-mill stuff - and it’s a joy just going through my collection! Not to mention these remasters that are recently coming out with so much good material!

Can’t wait to crank up Monsignor!

3 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

One doesn't necessarily supersede the other. I'm glad Mike was able to preserve both presentations and that they're available together on the same album. Couldn't be better than this.

Sounds great - and I agree!

For Monsignor, it's not as simple as trying to figure out which one "sounds better".

The two are completely different mixes.

The film presentation presents a stereo version of the 3-channel mixes they prepared for the film, which never ended up getting a 3-channel release, it was only released in mono.

For the OST LP, they made a completely different mix of the cues they decided to include along with the new concert arrangements recorded.  So that's why this release presents both, and why the film program comes from one element and the OST LP program comes from another.  It wouldn't have made any sense for MM to "rebuild" the OST LP like he often does for releases, it makes more sense to use the OST master they made in 1982 because it was a unique mix not available anywhere else.

4 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Both sound great to me, although unfortunately I do not have the best home audio equipment.

on headphones the Film Presentation sounds a lot better. Has more bass, sounds  warmer and detailed  than the OST which has a more forward midrange and sounds more tinny. . Kind of like Dracula but more of a gap in sound quality with Dracula

OST: Slight improvement over 2007 release

Film Presentation .Large improvement over 2007 release

Matessino just mentioned (at FSM) that like JAWS, ET. and DRACULA they had to source the  MONSIGNOR's 1/4 "  Album master tapes from the UK UMG archives.-as the original tapes may have been lost in the LA warehouse fire.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=51070&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=792#bottom

A question about Gloria on the Film Score section. Is it from the same (better) masters as the rest of the Film Score or also sourced from the album masters? It said both were "pre-eq-ed" earlier in the thread and I was wondering if that meant they were from the same source

20 hours ago, Jay said:

The back cover is on Intrada's website.

Thanks. Yes, I was curious because Jim Titus designed this for me in 2006 -- just a year prior to the Intrada OST -- to use on my LP-to-CD-R album. The front cover is more or less the same as the existing ones, just with the text moved around a bit, but I liked his version of the back cover (obviously without all the credits). Which do you prefer more -- Intrada's/Kay Marshall or Jim's?

media.nl?id=21816&c=ACCT67745&h=584d1e7e

Monsignor_v2_tray.jpg

It looks great at a glance, mainly because the design is more somber, but I am not a fan of the floating heads. Get rid of that element and it’s perfect (maybe use the space for credits?).

I don’t mind the Intrada back cover, nor the cluttered credits, the only thing that seems out of place for me is the quote “Forgive me father, for I have sinned”. The quote seems tacked on and is unnecessary from both a design, as well as a contextual, point of view.

Intrada has been putting a line of dialogue from the film on the back cover of all their score CDs forever. I'm kinda surprised they still bother to do it actually

I thought they were putting the original tagline there, if there is one. Alien has "In space no one can hear you scream", Jaws has the bestselling book thing, etc. Monsignor has this quote on the original poster.

Oh true, I guess it's FSM that used dialogue from the film on their back covers.  I remember Lukas Kendall talking about how he eventually regretted it because it was one more thing to have to check, etc