MONSIGNOR - 2019 Intrada Edition features expanded film score

I've never heard any Monsignor before (save, maybe, a Prague Philharmonic track, if they did one).  I've listened to the OST presentation twice, and really enjoy it!  While my preferences lie with adventure scores, this stands taller than most of Williams' lighter drama and comedy scores.  I'm very happy to have it!

Excited to crack into the slightly longer version on the second half of the disc sometime soon.

On 6/25/2019 at 2:48 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

Maybe...but also unpleasant to listen at times

yeah, I think the Film score version of Gloria is better in that respect.

• 2 weeks later...

Received it today, not from intrada. The cd was sealed but I have a hole in the barcode on the back, am I the only one? The case is fine.

10 hours ago, ciarlese said:

Received it today, not from intrada. The cd was sealed but I have a hole in the barcode on the back, am I the only one? The case is fine.

Then you should definitely make a complaint to the seller.

A hole through the barcode usually means that the item was never meant to be sold through retail and that it was issued without the intent of making any retailer a profit - a promo.

7 hours ago, rough cut said:

A hole through the barcode usually means that the item was never meant to be sold through retail and that it was issued without the intent of making any retailer a profit - a promo.

Keep it! Its a Collectors Item now!

On 7/9/2019 at 11:06 PM, ciarlese said:

I've ordered quite a few LLL albums via Amazon over the years that have punched barcodes (but are still sealed), even relatively recent releases. First time I've heard of an Intrada though.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick comparison spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11L23-36DTED-v4DnPirD2eS--Ely-BmfkxN-jSwqyPc/edit?usp=sharing

Not much info since I couldn't find a cue list, but I assume Mike didn't diverge much from the original names for the film score program. I also won't put myself through the film just to confirm chronology. :P

So far I much prefer the OST program with the fantastic Meeting in Sicily (even if its mood of grand jollity is a bit of a departure from the score itself) and the ending - At the Forum is simply a great piece, and Apollini's Mistake is weak as hell as a penultimate cue. Film also gets a bit repetitive with additional straight main theme statements like You're My Mystery (worth it for that harp finale) and Love Theme.

I think I do prefer the film mix of Gloria - choir is less harsh and the organ gels better with the rest, the sudden entrances are less jarring.

The Vatican is a very nice different bit.

The Book Shop is lovely with its cello (?) opening and continues to be just different enough to really stand out.

End Title has that nice trumpet solo plus strings overtaking it opening, but not a fan of the hurried and at sometimes almost sloppy main theme statement.

I guess I'll whip up some sort of extended OST for my phone.

I, too, preferred the OST treatment.  When I listened to the film version, I read the Wikipedia article on the plot of the movie, so I can kind of follow it, but it doesn't lend itself to a particularly good listening experience.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 3:38 PM, Jay said:

For Monsignor, it's not as simple as trying to figure out which one "sounds better".

The two are completely different mixes.

The film presentation presents a stereo version of the 3-channel mixes they prepared for the film, which never ended up getting a 3-channel release, it was only released in mono.

For the OST LP, they made a completely different mix of the cues they decided to include along with the new concert arrangements recorded.  So that's why this release presents both, and why the film program comes from one element and the OST LP program comes from another.  It wouldn't have made any sense for MM to "rebuild" the OST LP like he often does for releases, it makes more sense to use the OST master they made in 1982 because it was a unique mix not available anywhere else.

I prefer the OST mix.

Do folks like the main theme for this film? I feel like it is almost comically bad and one of the worst in JW's career. It just sounds like an imitation of the Godfather theme but as translated thru JW's musical sensibilities.

• 4 weeks later...

So everybody got this? Am I the only one completely uninterested in this? 

I have the former version, I guess that's the OS album, and if I had to guess, I listened to that one only once in my life... If that. 😂 

I mean, going from the Harry Potter Collection to this... I can't help but feel that the 30 bucks are somehow better spent than on the complete Monsignor

I'm in Tokyo right now on vacation. I found this in the Tower Records store... 

FB_IMG_1567344462716.jpg

Among these....

FB_IMG_1567344856956.jpg

You're in Tokyo? Awesome. Always wanted to go; I have friends who go there periodically and who are always enthustiastic about what the city has to offer in terms of sights and experiences.

And yes, they're pretty damn good on physical media and soundtrack selections. It's always been that way. How much is 4000 Yen in US dollars?

When I was there, almost ten years ago, the CD album selection was indeed good, but the prices weren't competitive at all.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

How much is 4000 Yen in US dollars?

About 38 USD, which you'd know if you cared to google it. ;)

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

So everybody got this? Am I the only one completely uninterested in this? 

I have the former version, I guess that's the OS album, and if I had to guess, I listened to that one only once in my life... If that. 😂 

You're not alone. I don't know the movie and have no interest in checking out, let alone buying, this release. Give me Hook or Far and Away already.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Google, schmoogle.... :)

Yikes, $38! That's a pretty hefty price.

Well, it is, but I'm very glad to pay a few bucks extra just to support this store... 

I'm in Tokyo once every few years, and this is definitely one of my favourite stores! I've bought many soundtracks here. Believe it or not, they currently also have the HP Collection set in stock. Nothing beats buying a much-desired object in a physical store, actually! No waiting for any confirmation emails, no waiting for the product to ship, no waiting for the postman.... In fact, no waiting at all! 😅 

47 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

You're not alone. I don't know the movie and have no interest in checking out, let alone buying, this release. Give me Hook or Far and Away already.

I haven't bought it... Yet. But I'm torn. Just for completeness' sake, I'm tempted to buy this, as long as it's in print! 

13 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

they currently also have the HP Collection set in stock.

Just out of curiosity, what was the price of that at the store?

20 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

No waiting for any confirmation emails, no waiting for the product to ship, no waiting for the postman.... In fact, no waiting at all! 😅 

You only have to wait until you find a CD player to play it! ;)

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just out of curiosity, what was the price of that at the store?

Can't remember exactly, but I think around 15,000 yen. Which is around 128 Euros or 141 USD. I already have this set, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You only have to wait until you find a CD player to play it! ;)

Or a PC or laptop to rip it! 

• 3 months later...

Hey Monsignor fans!  Check out the latest episode of Maurizio Caschetto's great Legacy of John Williams podcast:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/12/11/mike-matessino-podcast-disaster-soundtrack-collection/

Despite being titled after the Disaster Collection, it actually begins, after an introduction, with a nice bit of discussion about the 2019 Intrada release of Monsignor!  The discussion is peppered with nice lengthy selections from the new album as well, so if you were looking to hear more of the album before purchasing, here's your place to do so!

The Monsignor portion of the episode runs from around 6:30 to around 27:30 and in addition to some great clips, you can hear Mike talk about how he discovered that the film was supposed to have a Stereo release but was pushed forward at the minute and only released in mono, leaving the stereo mixes of the score that had been prepared essentially unheard for 35+ years until Mike found them, how the entire album was a completely different mix, and more!  Check it out!

• 8 months later...

Anybody know of a retailer that has this in stock at the moment?  I slept on this and it seems to be in between repressings.

4 hours ago, Hedji said:

Anybody know of a retailer that has this in stock at the moment?  I slept on this and it seems to be in between repressings.

Music Box Records

• 1 month later...

Ummm, what the hell? Monsignor is now listed as SOLD OUT on Intrada's website, with no warning or notice.

image.png

Last week it was listed as temporarily out of stock awaiting a new shipment:

mons.PNG

So it's OOP barely a year post-release?!

Shit news if true; I held off on purchasing in the hope another JW score would land at Intrada. Typical that once WOTW drops, this is no longer available.

So... While quantities and interest remains means that one day they'll just say "Eh, nobody bought this while it was temporarily out of stock for 2 months, nobody must want it, let's just nix it".

Well that's definitely better news for those who haven't purchased this yet.  I wish Intrada would just list how many units they will produce for each release like LLL and VS do.  

These limited releases are a hack.

First, labels create a false sense of emergency to hurry us to buy the new releases (IT'S LIMITED, HURRY UP!), then they always print less copies than the actual limit they set by contract, just to perodically tell us they are "temporarily" out of stock.  And finally, now plenty of sellers on the web buy several copies of these limited releases... especially to sell them at a higher price when they finally go OOP.

Yes really, it's a hack how this niche market has evolved.

People buying multiple copies to sell on for profit are always going to be a problem in any small market where there's a collectible side to things. But I hardly think we can blame the labels for printing up small runs at a time. It's just how it's done. I imagine for both financial and practical storage reasons amongst others. Nothing wrong with it at all. Intrada just updated the site wrong in this case. It now says it'll be reprinted but they can't say when right now. Hardy surprising given the year's events.