MONSIGNOR - 2019 Intrada Edition features expanded film score

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

The film mix sounds so much better than the OST tracks (like Dracula), so make sure you all grab this eventually

I must admit that Matessino's remaster of Dracula OST removed a lot of background noise... Yet my LP restoration of it had its charms...

13 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I must admit that Matessino remaster of Dracula OST removed a lot of background noise... Yet my LP restoration of it had its charms...

I think your LP restoration was a huge improvement in that it was natural sounding, with much more high frequencies than the CD version of the OST. What was your contribution to your restoration apart from the digitisation of the LP?

Well someone offered me the WAVs made from a fresh clean LP... Then I used my magic to respectfully digitally remove the most obvious clicks (as they occurs, yes even on new LPs sometimes) and removing just a little of the background noise made by the "friction" of the playing. I didn't change anything in the E.Q... maybe I added a bit, again, just a bit of "stereo widening", because in my experience, the stereo narrowness of LPs is an irritant.

I digitally restored many hard-to-find old JW vinyls, thanks to some contributors on this forum! I don't pretend to make miracles, but I think my restorations remains respectfull of the original works... And everytime I adjusted the recordings to the right speed...well according to my poor ears...

Of course, this score was a pretext to place the "Esplanade Overture"... And the Ave Maria served as a "christmas" piece (we have known quieter Ave Maria before!) for some Boston Pops concerts in the 80s.

13 hours ago, Bespin said:

I must admit that Matessino's remaster of Dracula OST removed a lot of background noise... Yet my LP restoration of it had its charms...

For a short period of time, you were owner and creator of the best digital version of this magnificent score.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got this,too. Great soundtrack in both versions! Question: I read the film score is not completely chronological, does anybody known the real chronological order, especially where to place „Love Theme“?

Meanwhile I assembled a playlist using the film score and adding after End Title 3 tracks: The Meeting in Sicily, At the Forum and Theme from Monsignor, thus forming a kind of extended end credit suite. Now I am only pondering where to put "Love Theme", but I must say since this track does not offer much new, I tend to discard it anyway from my playlist. 

I removed all the OST tracks except Meeting in Sicily and At the Forum, and placed them at the end.

Listening to the whole c.d. you have too many duplicate tracks and all the OST tracks have inferior sound quality anyways.

On 12/16/2020 at 2:14 AM, King Mark said:

I removed all the OST tracks except Meeting in Sicily and At the Forum, and placed them at the end.

Listening to the whole c.d. you have too many duplicate tracks and all the OST tracks have inferior sound quality anyways.

Well, this is mostly what I described in the post above except for one track. But of course it is also a solution to start with "Theme". In this case you have repetition with the first 2 tracks, in my order repetition with the last 2 tracks, pick your poison. I thought about elimninating "Theme" altogether, but it is just too good a composition for that. What I eliminated meanwhile is "Love Theme", since it offers nothing extra. To follow Gloria with Book Shop is much better in my opinion.

How is there a film version of the Theme suite if it isn't used in the film? Am I missing something? Is it just to fill out the film mix with a version that gels?

Does the film start with the Main Title?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

This lovely little score combines smaller scale more European sensibilities with big standout highlights, of course allowing room for classic JWey Film Scorey material too. I love the OST, the exclusive pieces are my favourite tracks on the set, it all sounds real good too! If the samples interest you at least somewhat, bite now!

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

This evening I had a John Williams shuffle play list running on my computer and recognized this beautiful track for the first time.

Still much to discover.

Yes that is one of the best tracks on the soundtrack.