Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous (TV)

Jay

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2020 at 1:44 PM, Thor said:

Strange. Because it premieres on Netflix on the 18th of September; just a couple of weeks away. It should have had a few more credits on IMDB etc. by now.

It's very odd. IMDb doesn't even have a cast list, despite Wikipedia and other sources having that list.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 4:23 PM, Jay said:

I wonder who will score this

On 9/1/2020 at 2:33 PM, Jay said:

Still no word on who is scoring this

On 9/3/2020 at 2:31 PM, Edmilson said:

Who is the composer?

On 9/3/2020 at 2:42 PM, Evanus said:

No idea.. don't think it's been announced yet.

On 9/3/2020 at 3:44 PM, Thor said:

Strange. Because it premieres on Netflix on the 18th of September; just a couple of weeks away. It should have had a few more credits on IMDB etc. by now.

On 9/4/2020 at 4:48 PM, TSMefford said:

It's very odd. IMDb doesn't even have a cast list, despite Wikipedia and other sources having that list.

And we have our answer: the composer for this show will be... *drum rolls* 

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/09/12/leo-birenberg-scoring-netflixs-jurassic-world-camp-cretaceous/

30 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

And we have our answer: the composer for this show will be... *drum rolls* 

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/09/12/leo-birenberg-scoring-netflixs-jurassic-world-camp-cretaceous/

Random. Never heard of him. Hope he does well!

Interesting choice! I like what Birenberg did on RED ARMY. And while his and Zach Robinson's work on COBRA KAI was uneven, there are some great highlights. You can check out my review of the latter here: http://celluloidtunes.no/cobra-kai-zach-robinson-leo-birenberg/

I'm just relieved it's not Giacchino or Göransson.

I had kinda hoped Jared Emerson-Johnson would do this, as he's done some fine work for Telltale games, in emulating Silvestri for their BTTF video game, McCreary in the WALKING DEAD game and, most importantly, JURASSIC PARK in that game.

As promised, I watched this whole thing yesterday - while seriously hung over after a video meeting with Maintitles and FSM on Friday - and it's fairly OK for what it is. As Luke says, it's more interesting for the world building than the actual storyline. Funny with those intersections with the JURASSIC WORLD movie along the way, as seen from a distance etc.

The score was also pretty much like I had expected - plenty of references to the Williams (and sadly Giacchino) themes, some original music. But all of it performed by synth samples, I think. Maybe doubled with a few acoustic instruments. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll reserve further judgement untill I've heard it on album.

Being a fan of Jurassic (my avatar and sig speaks for themselves lol), I was mostly happy with this! I do wish this had been a more adult animated show, but then again this was never advertised to have been a dark and serious anime-type thing. ;) But it was a lot of fun! And not SO childish that it was hard to watch at all (unlike the Lego animated shows for Jurassic that are just TOO cute and overly goofy for me to ever watch more than a minute before deciding not to continue). I wouldn't scream that it was perfect like some people in the Jurassic fanbase are saying, but it was better than expected AND has potential to get even more interesting with plot threads it has introduced. Also, for anyone who ever played the Telltale Game for Jurassic Park, there are some interesting similarities with approach that I actually thought were really cool. And the endless easter eggs were of course awesome, haha.

Music was pretty good, too! It's really interesting... the Williams callbacks are WAY more frequent than Giacchino! In fact I BARELY remember any callbacks to his themes, really. Given the color schemes and other choices the show made, it definitely feels like it caters to fans of the original Jurassic Park more than Jurassic World. It just happens to take place in World instead lol. And while it felt largely synthetic, the orchestrations and ideas in this score were really fun, including the original material. There is a scene in a underground river that has a really nice musical moment that is original music. For Williams, well, the best reprise of the main JP "Island" theme happens in the very first episode as they arrive to the camp and... it honestly gave me more chills than how Giacchino used any Williams references in Jurassic World or Fallen Kingdom! Oh and the JP carnivore motif is all over the place! LOL. It's hilarious to me because Giacchino still has not used it at all in the World films, as far as I can recall! It almost reminded me of how Don Davis used it frequently in Jurassic Park 3. I do think it's odd that Giacchino's Indominus Rex theme/motif didn't make an appearance given the dinosaur is in the show... or maybe I just missed it.

I hope there is at least a promo album soon!

On 9/20/2020 at 4:25 AM, Thor said:

I'll reserve further judgement untill I've heard it on album.

Lol that's a bit optimistic. Netflix is all over the place with whether they release their scores or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I for one enjoyed the first season and the direction it went. First couple of episodes I was hesitant but the characters grew on me and it isn't so terribly tame that you don't feel like they aren't in danger. And this trailer for season 2 seems to confirm the continuation of that trend.

Jesus, that looks awful. 

Why are they dragging out a franchise from a generation ago... to a new one that probably has no fucking idea of the value it has to the last. My sentiment is aimed at the recent live-action films too.

Just do something new. I'm sick of this bollocks.

15 minutes ago, LSH said:

Jesus, that looks awful. 

Why are they dragging out a franchise from a generation ago to a new one... that probably has no fucking idea of the value it has to the last. My sentiment is aimed at the recent live-action films too.

Just do something new. I'm sick of this bollocks.

Give the first season a try, it's pretty good!

• 1 month later...

Second season was decent too (it's out now). I personally enjoyed the first season more, but it does actually get a bit darker at least in some ways. Its "villians" in this season were kind of lame and not what I had expected, but they may be saving real good ones for later seasons (according to a Amazong listing of a tie-in book, there will at least be a third season around June or so... which would make sense since originally Dominion was to come out around then and the director even said some elements of the show tie into it somehow).

I still of course am begging to have a live action adult-oriented show, something along the lines of that short "Battle At Big Rock" film we got in 2019, or better. There were (and I guess still are) rumors of that happening, but as with anything Jurassic-related, I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah, honestly given how short both seasons are (8 episodes each), I really think it was split up from one season for two reasons. First, to give more time to render/edit the show. Second, to space out it's audience to have to come back and re-subscribe. It is a wonder why Netflix won't adopt the models of Disney Plus and other streaming services and just release an episode or two a week to spread out subscriptions past one month? But hey, I guess this strategy works, too.

Easily binged in two nights. Quite entertaining and well-made, as the first season. Great locales. It still feels a bit like watching cut scenes in a game, though.

Something about the ending:

Spoiler

Surely, the easiest way off the island now would be to just swim out to the ship that the hunter woman tried to escape on (before it drifts away)? Sure, there are two dinos on it, but I'm sure they could find their way around that. Somehow, however, I doubt this will even be addressed in season 3. They just wanted a finale/demise, and I'm not quite sure they thought of the narrative consequence of leaving the ship there, just outside the dock. It's not like it exploded or sank or anything.

• 1 month later...

It is a good show! I liked the first season better overall, but I am still curious to see more.

Honestly... I just want a live-action show, finally. If that short film they did, Battle At Big Rock, proved anything was that a live-action story in short form works really well for the franchise. If Camp Cretaceous had been live-action, and just a bit less... kiddie... it would have been perfect.

• 1 month later...

This season looks MUCH more interesting/exciting than the last one. While I liked season 2, it was definitely more disjointed than the first one. And the "villains" that came and went in the second half... groan. It just felt like a lot of filler. I'm excited that we get to visit "old park" ruins from the looks of this trailer, which was something touched upon in the first Jurassic World. It may not even be the Visitor Center they are in, but some other old building. Not 100% sure, but still pretty exciting. Maybe Hammond DID have a bungalow/lodge like in the novel that we never saw? That would be exciting.

This new hybrid dinosaur though... even from the mere glimpses we have now... just does nothing for me. It just looks like it will be somewhere between the Indominus Rex and the Indoraptor. *snore* Come on. Give me something freaky, like a Apato-Raptor... a long-necked raptor that makes the sounds of babies as its stumpy hands try to grab you... yeah... ;)

However... that attempt to get off the island on the raft... didn't these kids see Cast Away? ;) Of course it wasn't going to work unless they had a last-minute flap-up of a broken porta-potty with wings painted on it!

• 11 months later...

It's a good show! Not particularly extraordinary but it's good and it's got a fair share of suspensful moments that are very rare in these type of shows.

2 hours ago, ManofDestiny said:

They cancel The Dark Crystal and do 5 seasons for this?

Sad.

My guess is that with Dark Crystal it was too expensive and had a tougher time finding its audience, whereas with Camp Cretaceous is much easier: a current franchise aimed mostly at pre-teens and such. 

But yeah, such a shame as Dark Crystal was so friggin' excellent. On the other hand, we have one (almost) impeccable untarnished season for the ages.