Any others here remember Star Wars before it was first a thing?

karelm

Do any others here remember a time before Star Wars?  Like laughing at the Han Solo line "great, kid...don't get cocky" because it was so original?  We had no idea that Darth Vader was Luke's father or what would become of our favorite heroes and villains?  How do you feel about the series and mythology now?  Is it what you hoped and wished it would become?

Don't get cocky was funny because it sounded naughty.

It's a trap was a joke before it was a meme with no context.

I used to theorize that the blobs around the ships which were corrected in the Special Edition were force fields similar to the shields seen on Star Trek. You can imagine my surprise when George Lucas himself said in 1997 that they used to jokingly refer to the blob underneath Luke's car as the force field.

6 hours ago, El Jefe said:

As chilling and shocking as the moment was, it went downhill the moment Vader told Luke he was his father.

I wasn't alive then, but it's difficult for others who grew up with these facts embedded in their childhood to view the series objectively. The genius of Star Wars isn't contingent upon this plot twist. I completely agree with you. In fact it's important to regard how even Star Wars V could've been written differently after the success of its original. It could've set up even more success for episode IV.

9 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

Don't get cocky was funny because it sounded naughty.

It's a trap was a joke before it was a meme with no context.

I used to theorize that the blobs around the ships which were corrected in the Special Edition were force fields similar to the shields seen on Star Trek. You can imagine my surprise when George Lucas himself said in 1997 that they used to jokingly refer to the blob underneath Luke's car as the force field.

I've never seen that kind of technology. 

No, I don't think so. I only discovered it in the mid 80s or so, well after all three films had premiered and had their impact.

These days, it's part of my film DNA or "spine", if you will. Big fan, of course, although I don't quite get the obsession about every single detail I see at places like this.

The double album was on sale in the UK from July, 1977, which was when I bought it. There was also a news item at about the same time, on ITN. I then began to see merchandise, and also posters for the film on the London Underground, around November time. By the time it opened in the UK, just after Christmas, I'd heard the OST for JW's next score, and I declared STAR WARS to be dead. I've never looked back.

When it opened in Antwerp, it instantly became my favorite movie. Thanks to Star Wars, we got Alien and Blade Runner, which then became my favorite movies. 

3 hours ago, Richard said:

The double album was on sale in the UK from July, 1977, which was when I bought it. 

Love the double vinyl. It's still the only version of Star Wars that I treasure.

I wasn't born until 1979 so didn't really get into Star Wars until I was in middle school in the early 90s

I take the parts I like from it, and don't fret about anything else that I may not like.  I simply just don't care about it enough.

Star Wars has hit a level of toxicity (albeit online --- you'd probably struggle finding one of these toxic fans in person, but they do exist) that has simply become embarrassing.  What happened with the treatment of Kelly Marie Tran was disgusting and should remind you that these people are out there.

I separate myself from it as much as possible.  With so many different directors/writers and years it's gone through, it's bound to be different.  It will never satisfy everyone.  It's not like there is some holy grail source material (do these fans forget this?)

But I like where it's at, cause again, I pick and choose.

3 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Anyone else remember the days when people talked about other things besides Star Wars?

No

I remember when Star Wars stopped being a thing - in the late 80's.  The Marvel comics run was finished, Kenner stopped selling the toys, George Lucas had vanished from the public eye as a filmmaker, and the notion of a prequel trilogy was a "pie in the sky", "never-gonna-happen" kinda thing....

24 minutes ago, elvisjones said:

I remember when Star Wars stopped being a thing - in the late 80's.  The Marvel comics run was finished, Kenner stopped selling the toys, George Lucas had vanished from the public eye as a filmmaker, and the notion of a prequel trilogy was a "pie in the sky", "never-gonna-happen" kinda thing....

That was the time I got into it. So it was kinda weird when this Saturday afternoon popcorn space series I enjoyed on videocasette and the ride at Disney was suddenly having its second wind. Gradually more merchandise (I got my original Kenner dolls as hand-me-downs or from flea markets and comic book stores), the movies back out in theaters in THX with digital effects, the prequels etc.

Kids today won't understand that because they've always had Star Wars crap everywhere. There was a time when the only SW paraphernalia you might be able to find in a store were copies of the movies. I can't even get groceries without a bunch of Star Wars junk collapsing off the checkout stand next to the hot sheets.

I remember being shocked as a kid to see « episode V » at the beginning of ESB, asking all my friend « did you saw the three first ones, you??? ».

I had the Robot factory and Hoth play set, my friend next to my house had the Cantina set, and the one in front of me, the « deceiving » Death Star set. I always wondered if all our parents talked about it before buying them!

I remember getting the skiff from Return of the Jedi from the flea market for my vintage Kenner dolls. I found out later on that it was actually from a Play Doh set and not meant for the dolls. Of course, none of my vintage dolls had their old accessories so I used to stick colored Q tip sticks up the arms of the Jedi for their lightsabers. I also painted them with Sharpies to correct paint wear. I even cut capes from this vinyl-like material so they'd have their robes.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Star Trek is a lot better anyway!

Star Trek owes almost everything to Star Wars. "Star Wars was the impetus to [re]starting up the franchise of Star Trek for years to come".

17 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

A decent in-universe way to explain the crappy blue/green screen cutouts. :lol:

No, I wasn’t around when the OT was released. But I liked Star Wars before it was cool. :P

But SW was always around, I guess. I watched our taped version of A New Hope on VHS non stop, and I remember buying the NES game.

I bought these expensive books/magazines that were called The Technical Journal. I remember there were three issues, and I had ‘em all, and I was amazed by them. I had to specially import them. Nowadays you can buy them (or their contemporary counterparts) at the Supermarket.

I bought the Star Wars Anthology 4 CD box in the mid 90s, before the SE’s were released - I think that sometime after that, Star Wars mania really kicked into gear, and SW became everyman’s pop culture.

I was born in the year of Jaws, discovered Star Wars at the age of 5, just after the release of ESB I guess. Saw ROTJ when it came out on the big screen when I was 8 years old. Star Wars -and the music of John Williams- has always been part of my life and it will be until the day I die. 

Like a lot of us, I guess, I discovered JW through Star Wars. Then I realized I knew - and loved - a lot of his music such as E.T., Superman and Jurassic Park.

I never looked back! :)

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

Like a lot of us, I guess, I discovered JW through Star Wars. Then I realized I knew - and loved - a lot of his music such as E.T., Superman and Jurassic Park.

I never looked back! :)

Yes.  That’s just about how I discovered him.  I got curious on who did SW then I discovered it was the same guy who did Jaws, Indiana Jones, Schindler’s List, and the rest!

I don’t remember the OT during its original run in theaters but I recall the building excitement among my friends in late 1996 for the special editions that were coming to the big screen, one per month, starting January ‘97. 

We we were so excited to see Star Wars “the way Lucas really wanted it” (such kool-aid drinkers, we). More stormtroopers! A busier Mos Eisley! Greedo shoots first! More x-wings taking off! And so on. We treated every new thing as a revelation (again, tasty kool-aid it was). 

Obviously I think much differently about the SE today, but I don’t regret enjoying the experience the way I did back then.

18 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

Sound is extremely important. And it's very important to the overall enjoyment of the film that it be big.

Says the advocate for Trinitron!

Sony-KV-1214-4-525-WP.jpg