Men in Black: International (Danny Elfman & Chris Bacon)

Anyone else a fan of Danny Elfman's classic MIB scores? I was concerned he wouldn't be back to score the spinoff since it has a new director; I'm glad I was wrong!

I got the score early, and so far (like 3 tracks in) I like what I'm hearing! Some nice references to the original scores here and there with a "modern" twist.

Elfman just did an interview on the process. It sounds like he did the bulk of the work while Chris Bacon mostly handled additional music and possibly some adaptations. There's a lot of synth parts in the score, so that could have been Bacon as well. The score sounds very Elfman-y though, so if Bacon did more work than I'd think, he did a good job sounding like Elfman.

Elfman's MIB scores are fine.  I'm a big Elfman fan, but for some reason the first one never stuck with me besides the opening titles.  I think each successive MIB score has been better than the previous, though, so I'm still looking forward to this.

Listened to the first half hour, this is lots of fun! I've missed this sound from Elfman. Hints of Willy Wonka but that trademark off-kilter MIB style in full effect.

I've never seen the third one either. The second one was terrible compared to the first one so I didn't bother

The second movie was awful, agreed - the third movie was the best of the three.

They concluded that story in pt 3 -- this one is a new story with mostly new characters, so it's kind of like a reboot, even though it's in the same universe.  Kind of like if James Bond ended, but they started a new series called "009" where the only returning characters were M and Q.

I’d rather have Tommy Lee Jones! I found Brolin’s impersonation unflattering, and as much as I love Jemaine Clement, his role was terrible. The writing and dialogue just weren’t there. 

I may have seen bits of #2, don't really remember. I really enjoyed #3.

Musically, I like some bits of the first and third scores. Don't remember a thing from the second. I'm ready to give the new one a go, particularly if Elfman appears to have enjoyed doing it.

I liked the third one because it ditched some of the tryhard coolness factor and had emotional stakes for whatever letter Will Smith was.  It also came after MIB2 so it impressed me by comparison, I guess!

Bacon wrote a fair bit of music for Goosebumps, and helped with Avengers, but the rest of his contributions have otherwise been relatively minor. He wrote two cues for Alice Through the Looking Glass and Mr Peabody (minor cues which didn't make either score album) and he has one cue credit for The Grinch's album. For Dumbo, he arranged a handful of Elfman's cues. At least this is what the cue sheets suggest.

To be fair to Elfman, he at least credits those who help him out. There's an A-List composer whose ghostwriters have ghostwriters and they often get no credit whatsoever (not Hans, by the way). Sven Faulconer has been uncredited for his work for JNH on many occasions. Christopher Young often gets help on higher profile projects (six additional composers for Priest, but no mention of them in the album credits).

This is the nature of the business these days. Powell only has a single credit on a handful of cues for The Hidden World.

On 6/7/2019 at 9:46 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

Why do they need to make another one?  Men in Black 3 was the perfect conclusion

Truthfully, the first one should have been the only one. 

22 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I’d rather have Tommy Lee Jones! I found Brolin’s impersonation unflattering, and as much as I love Jemaine Clement, his role was terrible. The writing and dialogue just weren’t there. 

To me his impersonation was the only highlight of 3. 

1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

To be fair to Elfman, he at least credits those who help him out. There's an A-List composer whose ghostwriters have ghostwriters and they often get no credit whatsoever (not Hans, by the way).

Scandalous! I’m really curious who this A-lister is. Can you offer any hints? (I’m guessing you don’t want to come right out with his name.)

Someone made a comment about Giacchino having an entire team of ghostwriters on here once. Might have just been a joke but I've wondered how he composes so many scores in a single year (granted, he's taken a break lately, but he was churning them out constantly a few years back).

8 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Desplat certainly has ghostwriters. Bear McCreary too.

Giacchino has a team but they’re typically credited; and as we recently learned, he ghostwrites for others!

And you don't have a problem with this, right?

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I love how you're trying to turn something political even though it isn't. And you're not allowed to do so anymore anyway.

It's not political. It's controversial.