So Steven Spielberg is writing a new TV show

Jay

He's probably writing the main ideas down on a napkin, then his ghosties flesh them out for him.

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I don’t see any reason to doubt it since it’s a direct quote from Katzenberg and he went out of his way to specify he was actually writing it.

It's called marketing.

The exec added that Spielberg only wanted Quibi subscribers to be able to watch it at midnight. He said that his business partner Meg Whitman came up with an idea – tagged as Spielberg’s After Dark presentation – to put a clock within the Quibi player to mean that viewers will only have a limited amount of time to watch the show.

That sounds...annoying...

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Yeah, that's the "new AMAZING STORIES" we've been hearing about for a while. Looking forward to it!

Ah, OK. This kinda sounded like an AMAZING STORIES-type project, so I assumed that was it. Interesting regardless. Spielberg doesn't often write stuff anymore.

I seem to recall he only ever wrote treatments.

That's not the same as writing a script, which I don't recall he's ever done. At least, not on his own.

Lots of great directors don't write: its a completely different skillset. Clint Eastwood couldn't write a script to save his own life, for instance. Sir Ridley Scott never wrote a script or a treatment, for that matter, either.

Not sure if he's ever written scripts -- with all the technicalities that that entails -- or just stories in a more literary form, but that's beside the point, really. I'm just loving the fact that he's writing stories to be filmed in the first place. 

Although I consider THE DIG the greatest computer game of all time, I always wish Spielberg -- having (co-)written the story -- had turned it into a film instead. I know there were cost issues at the time, but he could have waited a few years.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

He's credited for the screenplay for A.I.

What's the difference between a script and screenplay?

I believe they are interchangeable terms. Of course, in the case of A.I., it was adapted material rather than fully original.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

in the case of A.I., it was adapted material rather than fully original.

Almost all of Spielberg's filmography is one of filming adapted screenplays.

Its one of many things he picked-up on from Kubrick and Lean.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

What does that even mean?

I was being sarcastic. TV has never been a wildly successful area for the wunderkind.

In name only on both of those shows. BoB was acclaimed but seen by few. 

ER owes more to its cast than a name value producer. 

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I seem to recall it was ghost-written by a whole lot of other people.

Every Hollywood script is ghost-written by a bunch of people. Every single script, even Oscar-winning ones, get a pass from this writer or dialog punch from that writer, or a character work run through with this other writer.

Unless your name is Woody Allen or Tarantino, your script will have contributions by multiple other people. Just the fact of Hollywood. 

Now crediting is a whole other issue and is more complex. Complicated WGA rules govern who gets credit and when and for what and there are contracts and legalese and what not. 

So who's credited on screen does not at all indicate who wrote it.

7 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

BoB was acclaimed but seen by few. 

First episode had 10 million voters. Then, two days later, 9/11 happened and HBO stopped promoting the show. The show ended with 5 million viewers.

24 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Anyway, what is 'quibi'?

From the article I linked to (I guess you didn't read it all)

Quibi will launch in the U.S. on April 6, 2020 and will cost $4.99 per month. It is set to spend $1B on content with the core-demo around 25-35. It will air videos in 7-10-minute chunks.

• 7 months later...

Quibi has a youtube channel now with commercials for some of their shows, nothing for "After Dark" yet though

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR4sKQm7_z8IrZ79O7v10ng/videos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spielberg's_After_Dark

On 6/10/2019 at 11:42 AM, JoeinAR said:

I was being sarcastic. TV has never been a wildly successful area for the wunderkind.

Indeed, Spielberg somehow has put his name on some pretty dreadful shows, specially over the last decade. Falling Skies, Terra Nova, Under the Dome, various horrible sci-fi shows that got axed after one or two seasons...

Steven Spielberg.PNG

Which ones?

Granted, I myself never watched most of them, but I've watched the entire first seasons of Falling Skies and Terra Nova, and these shows are horrendous, although some people say FS got better later.