Gordy Haab & Stephen Barton's STAR WARS JEDI: FALLEN ORDER (2019)

crumbs

3 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Why is the album $30 on 7digital? :eh:

Is it on 7digital for you? I thought I found it on 7digital but it turns out I was on an Australian website called Zdigital (in which the album was $30 in AU dollars).

I checked the real 7digital just now and the album isn't on there, at least on my browser.

Sorry, I was looking at the NZ version of the site. Also didn't take into account the fact that it's not USD. That being said, if the album is 3+ hours long it makes sense it would be a little more expensive than your average soundtrack. But no, you're right; it's not on the American one yet. Sorry to get your hopes up!

Depends on what country they think you are connected from, of course

They aren't allowed to sell it to you if it's Thursday from where your IP is located

6 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Sorry, I was looking at the NZ version of the site. Also didn't take into account the fact that it's not USD. That being said, if the album is 3+ hours long it makes sense it would be a little more expensive than your average soundtrack. But no, you're right; it's not on the American one yet. Sorry to get your hopes up!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Depends on what country they think you are connected from, of course

They aren't allowed to sell it to you if it's Thursday from where your IP is located

If it's indeed on the NZ version of 7digital, then that does at least mean that it will be on the US version sometime tonight. So at least I'll be able to buy a legitimate copy in lossless! :)

$30 in NZ dollars would translate to $20 USD, which I agree is a fair price for over 3 hours of music. In fact, that's the price I assumed it would be.

In the Facebook comments Gordy is hinting at a Collector's Edition of the soundtrack, with even more music. But it's not clear if it's just a joke in response to a question about the "other 3 hours" of music.

1 hour ago, Laserschwert said:

In the Facebook comments Gordy is hinting at a Collector's Edition of the soundtrack, with even more music. But it's not clear if it's just a joke in response to a question about the "other 3 hours" of music.

Yeah that's just a joke. He makes a lot of jokes like that on his page.

Glad you posted that. For some reason if you search for "Jedi Fallen Order", "Star Wars", or "Gordy Haab", this album does not show up at all. It seems you have to specifically search "Stephen Barton" for it to appear in the search results. :P

31 minutes ago, TheAvengerButton said:

Yeah, I kept searching for it and finally found it through a suggested link from another page on site. Thought I'd save people the trouble and just post the link.

Luckily the searching seems to work now, it just didn't at first for whatever reason. 

Picked it up on iTunes - haven’t played the game of heard any of it, so I’m looking forward to it.  $12 for 3+ hours of music is a good deal, and I’m happy to support this release in hopes of getting more like it.

It's far from complete, and tracks that contained Williams material are missing entirely (including the spectacular finale).

The amount of crossfading/tracks sandwiched together is rather frustrating. Some cutscene music that had lots of volume changes and dodgy edits in the gamerip are presented properly here however, so these are the biggest win. As far as audio quality, both the OST and gamerip are about equal.

I suspect a combination of elements of this PLUS shorter/separated tracks from the gamerip would produce an optimal album.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I doubt it, wasn't the game rip like 8 hours long?

Although it's highly likely there was repetition in those raw files.

I'm sure the 22 minute credits aren't on there either since its just a compilation of a bunch of other cues.

1 hour ago, GiacchinoCues said:

It's far from complete, and tracks that contained Williams material are missing entirely (including the spectacular finale).

The amount of crossfading/tracks sandwiched together is rather frustrating. Some cutscene music that had lots of volume changes and dodgy edits in the gamerip are presented properly here however, so these are the biggest win. As far as audio quality, both the OST and gamerip are about equal.

I suspect a combination of elements of this PLUS shorter/separated tracks from the gamerip would produce an optimal album.

Lucky we have all the game files then, but it would be a nightmare to collate and catalog everything. From memory the game files weren't exactly neatly named, making it a nightmare to sort into some form of chronology.

Not surprised the Williams material is missing. I suspect that would've been far more difficult to license for a digital release (the legalities become complicated when another composer's work is involved).

Keen to understand the opinion of others here:

The Shyyyo Bird flight music (you all know the cue I'm referring to). It's about 1:20 long, yet here, it's sandwiched amongst another 11 minutes of music with no clean beginning or ending. Are you really satisfied listening to another 11 minutes just to get to that part? This seems like horribly amatuer album production.

59 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Lucky we have all the game files then, but it would be a nightmare to collate and catalog everything. From memory the game files weren't exactly neatly named, making it a nightmare to sort into some form of chronology.

Not surprised the Williams material is missing. I suspect that would've been far more difficult to license for a digital release (the legalities become complicated when another composer's work is involved).

That was pretty much handled.

23 minutes ago, GiacchinoCues said:

The Shyyyo Bird flight music (you all know the cue I'm referring to). It's about 1:20 long, yet here, it's sandwiched amongst another 11 minutes of music with no clean beginning or ending. Are you really satisfied listening to another 11 minutes just to get to that part? This seems like horribly amatuer album production.

If it flows well, I would rather take that then a bunch of short cues looped thrice.

40 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I must have missed the memo. Did someone do a spread sheet? 

Someone made a whole game soundtrack  using a text file  they found that identified a huge portion of cues.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

I doubt it, wasn't the game rip like 8 hours long?

There's about 4 hours of original music in the game files. Keep in mind that most of that is made up by very quiet / ethereal ambience cues. So basically all of the important stuff is on the album.

6 hours ago, GiacchinoCues said:

Finished listening.

There's a lot of cool action music in here.  But you just kind of get numb to it after a while, as there's so much of it, and not much interesting stuff moving a story along in between; In other words, there's no drama or narrative here, it's just a collection of tunes.  A nice short 45 minute collection of some of the great tunes here would probably be ideal for me at this point, after getting to know that maybe I'd want more.

One of the theme in here heavily reminds me of something, I think its Silvestri's Avengers theme

So yea, good action music, but what makes John Williams action music good is that it's supporting a bigger story, and when the action tracks come up amongst the great storytelling he always does, it elevates everything to a higher level.  There's nothing compositionally bad or uninteresting about the music here, it's just... here.  I'm not compelled to revisit it.

There's one theme in there, (the one in Cere's Guitar or Ilum or whatever is on this album) that reminds me of John Barry or something.

6 hours ago, GiacchinoCues said:

As far as audio quality, both the OST and gamerip are about equal.

The gamerip is lossy, the frequency soft cuts off at about 22.05khz, while the official album is lossless (depending on where you bought it).

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The gamerip is lossy, the frequency soft cuts off at about 22.05khz, while the official album is lossless (depending on where you bought it).

Pretty sure he meant the recording, mixing and mastering (cut off aside)

1 minute ago, Spider-Fal said:

Pretty sure he meant the recording, mixing and mastering (cut off aside)

He said "audio quality" which one would assume is referencing the audio quality. :P

But yeah the mixing and mastering itself is identical.

The album is definetly too big, and too tiresome to listen, but it has some wonderful highlights. 

The track Eno Cordova's theme has been a favorite of mine ever since I played the game a few months ago (it plays on the main menu).

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The track Eno Cordova's theme has been a favorite of mine ever since I played the game a few months ago (it plays on the main menu).

Feels slightly RC to me, but it's pretty good.

I tried listening on Youtube, and frankly, wasn't surprised that I was completely bored by this stuff.  I have never been a fan of these kinds of scores.  All action, no heart, and no memorable themes that jump out at me.

1 hour ago, Dr. Know said:

I tried listening on Youtube, and frankly, wasn't surprised that I was completely bored by this stuff.  I have never been a fan of these kinds of scores.  All action, no heart, and no memorable themes that jump out at me.

They must have been too busy jumping at me lol.

There's some wonderful music on this album and some of it makes me yearn for Williams' Prequel era writing, but there's the catch - every second my mind is pulled every which way 'Ah that's like this from Phantom Menace' or 'Yeah, that's definitely something from Revenge of the Sith' that it makes me want to go and listen to an actual Williams score!

Does anyone know if this will ever receive a CD release? I know that's a rarity these days, but if I'm not mistaken most of the AAA games have a CD release included in a collector's edition or something. It's just strange this never got the same treatment. Perhaps the timing of the release of Fallen Order so close to Rise of Skywalker fudged the music side of things with the copyrighted music etc...

The only major cue that's remaims unavailable with good/clean/consistent sound quality is the final fight with you-know-who. It's not on the OST since it contains Williams material, and the game rip has a ton of volume adjustments which are impossible to fix.

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

Can someone clarify what JW music was used in the game?

Specific cues:

Jango's Escape

Anakin's Dark Deeds

Anakin's Betrayal

Themes:

The Force

The Imperial March

The Rebel Fanfare (droid sound effect)

2 hours ago, artus_grayboot said:

Just found out today that this was out. I am incredibly stoked! Manakin does this mean that you have to take down some of the JFO stuff you've had on your YT?

I did take it down originally since I uploaded the official album. But I decided to put my original edits back up since there is still some missing music in it (and in some places my editing is slightly better IMO).

Speaking of the final boss cue, fixing the volume isn't actually that difficult, and I've done it for a number of cues already. I'll see what I can do for that cue since I haven't done it yet.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention yet is how some material from Battlefront 2 gets adapted and expanded on in Fallen Order.

For example, the purge trooper combat cue expands on "Snoke And The Dreadnought" from BF2.

And what eventually turns into the Merrin theme is in the BF2 cue "Prologue And The Escape".

There's another tiny reference from BF2 cue "The Betrayal" but I can't remember exactly which Fallen Order cue it ends up in.

Gordy does that a lot. There's a section in the Republic theme from TOR that ends up on the first Battlefront, as well as stuff he wrote for Kinect Star Wars that ended up in several different places. I'm not going to call it laziness.I think these are thematic links in his mind to certain ideas, kind of like something Johnny would do. But I think it's different if it's literally just a straight transcription from one soundtrack to another, as seems to be the case a lot of the time.

I'm not attributing it to laziness either - he's often having to write many, many short cues, so why not expand on ideas when you have the opportunity to? However I wonder if the parts crop up because of a specific character/location etc. or just because they are good musical ideas?

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

And what about when they reference other composers?

I mean, the beginning of Fight and Flight sounds similar to The Intersection Scene from War of the Worlds.

Which also sounds almost identical to a cue Gordy wrote for SWTOR, which is also based on WotW.