So Ridley Scott is directing a Gladiator sequel...

Muad'Dib

I wouldn’t call Martin Phipps an unknown, but yes, Harry not scoring Napoleon is telling.

I don’t think he or Zimmer will score Gladiator 2, though I think “Now We Are Free” will at least be reprised.

Marc Streitenfeld recently did Raised By Wolves, with Ridley producing. So that relationship isn’t entirely dead. 

I could see Zimmer getting a co-composing credit with some other collaborator handling the brunt of the film. 

I'd be fine with Streitenfeld as I'm one of three people on the planet that likes The Grey, Robin Hood and Prometheus. Although I'm curious as to why HGW had to come in and do the theme for the latter - was Scott not happy with what Streitenfeld was producing?

No one's going to do a proper successor to Zimmer's score so I'd rather they just went with someone new and made a totally new score.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd be fine with Streitenfeld as I'm one of three people on the planet that likes The Grey, Robin Hood and Prometheus.

I also like Robin Hood. It's a fun OST to listen to. The other two not so much, but still decent.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd be fine with Streitenfeld as I'm one of three people on the planet that likes The Grey, Robin Hood and Prometheus. Although I'm curious as to why HGW had to come in and do the theme for the latter - was Scott not happy with what Streitenfeld was producing?

No one's going to do a proper successor to Zimmer's score so I'd rather they just went with someone new and made a totally new score.

I think the score is too iconic for them to abandon that sound, even if they go with someone outside RCP. 

14 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I think the score is too iconic for them to abandon that sound, even if they go with someone outside RCP. 

I don't think anyone outside of Zimmer can duplicate that sound. Zimmer's masculinity and scoring methods are very unique to me. It is just not assigning Balfe to it or something. But I think there is a way to do a great score without that sound. 

Gladiator is one of the greatest scores in the history of cinema for sure, but there is no way Zimmer will be scoring all the future additions to the franchise. It is inevitable that someone else do the scoring. I just hope whoever is responsible will do a better job than Beltrami with Ben Hur. That was a huge step down from the original.

19 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I wouldn’t call Martin Phipps an unknown, but yes, Harry not scoring Napoleon is telling.

I don’t think he or Zimmer will score Gladiator 2, though I think “Now We Are Free” will at least be reprised.

Marc Streitenfeld recently did Raised By Wolves, with Ridley producing. So that relationship isn’t entirely dead. 

I could see Zimmer getting a co-composing credit with some other collaborator handling the brunt of the film. 

Martin Phipps is a very capable composer. But I don't see him trying to duplicate the Zimmer sound, which is fine with me. My only issue with Phipps is that he rarely writes anything that has lasting impressions.  

8 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Gladiator is one of the greatest scores in the history of cinema for sure

Wait is this really a statement a large amount of people believe?

I just looked Phipps up and I realised he does The Crown and some other TV. I agree that he's not an 'unknown', but if like me you don't watch any of the TV he's done, he's not a name that's very recognisable.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wait is this really a statement a large amount of people believe?

It's an all time favourite for me and I wouldn't say that, no. I don't think the general public would recognise anything from it, not even Now We Are Free. And lots of people don't like Zimmer's approach to the action scenes.

11 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

It's an all time favourite for me and I wouldn't say that, no. I don't think the general public would recognise anything from it, not even Now We Are Free. And lots of people don't like Zimmer's approach to the action scenes.

I am not sure if the general public would recognize anything from Gladiator, but Jay's original question was a "large amount of people." I don't think think it is a stretch to say a lot of people think Gladiator is one of the best scores ever.

Thousands of Classic FM listeners and Radio Times readers chose Gladiator as the #3 best score of all time.

Daily Mail polled 52,000 listeners and Gladiator was ranked 5th. 

The AFI named the score one of the 250 best of all time. 

Also, in terms of recognition, Gladiator sold 4 million copies and Now We Are Free is one of the most watched film music video on YouTube with 193 million views.  I am also pretty sure more people today recognize Gladiator than Ben Hur or North by Northwest. So I am not sure what this all means. 

As for Zimmer's approach to the action scenes, I only heard complains from academic circles or film music diehards. 

I think Gladiator was popular in an outsized way and hugely influential towards where scores went going forward for better or for worse (I am usually a Zimmer fan, but still…).  I recall hearing Normies playing Gladiator in 2000 and 2001 in the wild, which is pretty bonkers for a film score.  I think it was largely eclipsed by Pirates a few years later though.

It was stylistically influential certainly, but I'd say it's probably been overtaken in public consciousness, as you say, in a way that SW/Indy, etc, haven't been.

I could be misjudging things and if I played Now We Are Free, most people would know where it was from. Of course there was the 'More Music From' album, and you don't get that if you haven't sold an absolute ton of the OST.

Gladiator’s music is played by bands at American football matches every year, it’s an immensely broadly popular score and it would be madness to not follow up on that score as much as possible. I doubt it’ll be Phipps because this score is quite outside his wheelhouse. I think HGW is still possible (Ridley has gone to other composers and then back to HGW more than once by now), or perhaps someone else. I would be interested in Daniel Pemberton using Zimmer’s themes!

Ive  not heard it played at a football game.  But i here williams, shore, gia, hear a.log of bond.

And lots of jerry goldsmith's works 

I forgot i do hear pirates

But thats the only HZ i know 

Her voice works well in some cues and less so in others. I've never been a massive fan of 'Sorrow', for example, but 'Elysium' is sublime. The film ending to The Battle doesn't feature her and I prefer that too.

• 1 month later...

On paper this movie looks really cool and the actors that have been cast are great. The movie just doesn’t need to exist though as Gladiator is a perfect film. It’s weird, I will definitively see it but I also don’t want it to be made haha

1 hour ago, Mr. Who said:

On paper this movie looks really cool and the actors that have been cast are great. The movie just doesn’t need to exist though as Gladiator is a perfect film. It’s weird, I will definitively see it but I also don’t want it to be made haha

Yeah I get why you feel that way. Since the movie didn't end on a cliffhanger, and they couldn't figure out what to do with a sequel for 20 years, maybe that is a sign a movie doesn't need a sequel. And since they ARE making a sequel now, it means they have an irresistible idea right? One would hope.

The whole dynamic between two brothers that are meant to rule as co-emperors could be an interesting one (they've cast both Geta and Caracalla, so I assume that's where they're going with it), but the movie title just sounds really, really dumb when the title character is nowhere to be seen. Or they will also make Lucius fight as a Gladiator, which would be a bit silly.

Like Finding Dory, this is clearly a project that began with its title 

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Commodus wasn't killed in the arena, by a gladiator.

Clearly you didn’t watch ‘til the end.

Next you’re going to tell me Hitler wasn’t killed in a theatre fire.

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

he was killed in a bathroom by an slave or something like that? i don't remember it. or am i mixing up monarchs here.

my ancestors are weirdos.

He was killed in the baths by a wrestler. 

His death was followed by the year of five emperors… so yeah you can tell that shit hit the fan.

I imagine this film will be set 20 years post the original anyway so things should have calmed down by then.

The first Gladiator ended with the ridiculous notion that Rome would somehow revert back to being a Republic. But now Geta and Caracalla are in the sequel. So I would guess it didn't actually happen and Maximus died just for his personal vengeance and little else?

They played so loosely with History in the first film, they will undoubtedly do it again with this one

7 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It's entertainment, not a lesson in history.

And I have no problem with that. But by the cast alone you can tell Maximus' achievements have been undone in this film

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 3:21 AM, Romão said:

The whole dynamic between two brothers that are meant to rule as co-emperors could be an interesting one (they've cast both Geta and Caracalla, so I assume that's where they're going with it), but the movie title just sounds really, really dumb when the title character is nowhere to be seen. Or they will also make Lucius fight as a Gladiator, which would be a bit silly.

Like Finding Dory, this is clearly a project that began with its title 

I’m fairly certain and hopeful the final title isn’t going to be Gladiator 2.