The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

On 22/01/2016 at 6:59 PM, E.T. and Elliot said:

I can kick the shit out of the Super Star Wars games, but Indiana Jones on SNES is impossible.

I was hoping for a fun challenge on Super Star Wars, but it keeps kicking my arse!

Anyhoo, I received my Super Famicom. Haven't had time to try it yet. But it looks almost identical to my PAL SNES.

• 4 weeks later...

I plan on playing through the series this year (well, it will take me more than a year at the rate I play).  So far I've done LTTP and am on the7th dungeon of Link's Awakening and will probably do Link Between Worlds next.  Not sure if I'll then move onto the 3D games or if I'll check of Oracle of Ages/Seasons or Minish Cap for the first time.

Hello! Here is a new environment piece I have been working on for the past two months. Continuing with the Zelda: Ocarina of Time theme, I decided to make Zora's Domain. This is simply fan art and a way to put the past year's worth of learning into one piece. Ocarina of Time is probably my favorite game, so I find it fun to re-imagine the environments as places that could possibly exist.

michaeleurekart.wordpress.com/

Some assets were used from Epic's demos, and some foliage came from the Tropical Forest asset pack on the Unreal Marketplace. The rest was created by myself. Special thanks to Aren Voorhees for his almost daily feedback :D

Music: Zora's Domain, from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Sound Effects from : soundjay.com/
Software used: Unreal Engine 4, Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, Xnormals, Quixel Suite

And another one:

• 1 month later...

@king mark you should get a 3DS (specifically a New 3DS XL). It's a fantastic system with a huge library of great games. I think you'll like having it more than you think you will.

That's a false statement!  They've announced they are continuing production of the Wii U for the forseeable future (at least two more quarters) and the NX is coming out for Christmas at the earliest.  Additionally, its a console, not a handheld, and is extremely unlikely it will play any 3DS games.  Finally, if you actually watched the video I posted, it showcases all the JRPGs that are coming out for that system throughout 2016, again none of which will be playable on the NX.  I wholeheartedly stand by my original recommendation - the 3DS isn't going away any time soon, and is likely to continue to see its library expand throughout 2017.

Even if 3DS does go away this year, whatever the NX is, it's unlikely it will be backwards compatible and the 3DS has one of the great Nintendo game libraries of all time.  Buy it!

I didn't say that the 3DS is going away, and actually I read somewhere that they ARE ceasing production on the Wii U. I also didn't say the NX would come out this year, just that it would be announced soon. Add to the rumors that it will be a console/handheld hybrid, I don't see the harm in waiting a few extra months before dropping an investment into a new gaming device.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

I read somewhere that they ARE ceasing production on the Wii U. 

I know; that was a false rumor that was debunked the next day by Nintendo.

• 3 weeks later...

Huge news from Nintendo today

-The NX is launching March 2017

-The Legend of Zelda 19 is delayed to 2017, but will launch on both Wii U and NX

-The Wii U version will have a playable demo at E3 in June, and be the only product they showcase there

Huge news? 

Everyone expected either Xmas 2016 or early next year. Confirmed specs would have been "huge" news - hence why none of the sites I frequent are bothering with this update. 

The Zelda news is big, and the E3 news.  And we have a confirmed date for NX and not just rumors and speculation.

I wonder if it will be as powerful as the Playstation Neo and XBox One 1/2, so 3rd party developers can make their games for 3 systems again.

That was 2 systems ago, on the Wii.  The Wii U controller is a tablet / controller combo that acts as a second screen.  It's cool.

gamepad-front-black.jpg

And if you don't like it, you can just use this guy:

7115A2m702L._SL1500_.jpg (1500×1096)

Which is also great

Nah, it feels and works great.  I'm sure many games use it effectively (I haven't played a lot yet), but its amazing for Mario Maker.

Mario Maker is the killer app that should have been available at launch, along with Splatoon.

12 hours ago, Quintus said:

It needs to be comparably powerful and far less reliant on device gimmickry otherwise it's gonna get absolutely hammered again like the Wii U. 

If it isn't I think this will be Nintendo's last hurrah as a hardware manufacturer, at least home consoles. They've been diminishing for many years now and they can no longer refuse to play by the rest of the industry's rules. 

That's not true.  The Wii was the best-selling console of the 6th Video Game Generation, beating the Playstation 3 and XBox360.  Only the Wii U has been a failure, if you can even call it that.  They still rule the world in handhelds, too.

They made so much money from the Wii era, they can operate at a loss for years and not bat an eye.  They're sitting on huge amounts of capital from that.

If the NX can get all the same third party games as XBOne and PS4, that will be a huge step in the right direction, along with a great swath of 1st party titles; Zelda 19, a new proper Metroid, a new New SMB, a new Mario 3D Land/World, a new Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers 5, Splatoon 2, Mario Maker 2, etc.  And whatever goofy hardware trick they got up their sleeve will hopefully be revolutionary;  I don't think VR will be as big as Quint thinks it will be.  I think it will get roughly the traction 3D TVs did.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's not true.  The Wii was the best-selling console of the 6th Video Game Generation, beating the Playstation 3 and XBox360.  Only the Wii U has been a failure, if you can even call it that.  They still rule the world in handhelds, too.

Actually, I think it is true. You're citing the success of the Wii as if it were still relevant in the 2016 market. It isn't. That system debuted in simpler times. 

As for the Wii U's second screen: it has for all intents and purposes been a total disaster; in the vast majority of games devs simply didn't know what to do with it and it has literally ended up being the most extravagant inventory shortcut/mini map solution ever made. 

But I am hopeful Nintendo have learned from their mistakes (again) and are gearing up to return with a back to basics approach which is less about gimmicks and all about the games. 

The touch screen is essential for Mario Maker and improved WInd Waker and Twilight Princess for sure.  How much experience do you even have playing a Wii U to make the claims you're making?  Or are you just going by what the websites you like to read say?

I follow the industry closely, have been for a long time. Mario Maker is a niche: it does not shift systems, it does not increase the install base in any way shape or form. HD re-releases are nice but they are also flooding the market right now on all platforms. They are an aside to the genuine system sellers such as CoD and FIFA - nobody buys a Nintendo console to play those titles anymore. Zelda is delayed and pure Mario is in the oven. What other big releases will increase install base this Q3? 

Nintendo need EA back in a big way. 

Quint is right. Nintendo can't afford to fuck up yet again. The Wii was so popular because it appealed to the casual market, but without second and third party support, Nintendo can't move consoles. The Wii U is the worst selling console in generations.  Not even the strong first party titles can move units. The NX needs to be more powerful than the PS4 and Xbox One to even compete at this stage. 

They'd probably be better off developing games for Sony and Microsoft and forget about their gimmicky hardware. 

23 hours ago, Jay said:

You're right about handhelds, but it's a shrinking market. Smartphones are the way of the future and Nintendo has at least had the foresight to start supporting mobile platforms. Who knows if they'll do another handheld after 3DS. As far as the Wii goes, it was a huge success... initially. After the first big wave it didn't have the legs to carry out the generation because of lack of third party support, weak hardware compared to the competitors, and a motion control gimmick that was difficult to optimize. Nintendo has been suffering from various bad decisions since the 64 and they've grown exponential and compounded. Like most people I've been a fan of theirs for years and they still consistently make great first party games, which is why I wouldn't have a problem at all if they went to software-only for other consoles ala Sega.