The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

You think they'll make a Skyward Sword HD just because they made a Wind Waker HD and a Twilight Princess HD?

You're thinking of Twilight Princess, which we knew was coming way before Nintendo announced it because of a database leak.  It's out now.

Also its kinda funny youi're waiting for that one of all games, its generally considered the worst in the series.  Also the Wii version required the Wii Motion Plus controller; You'd have to buy one of those too unless you think they're rewriting it to work with the Wii U Pro Controller / Wii U tablet controller

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You're thinking of Twilight Princess, which we knew was coming way before Nintendo announced it because of a database leak.  It's out now.

Also its kinda funny youi're waiting for that one of all games, its generally considered the worst in the series. 

Eh? Jason, you really do talk some nonsense in this thread, please stop it. Neither of these statements are true. Stick to factual score talk. Please don't tell me what I'm "thinking", it's annoying; especially given I probably know more about Nintendo products than you do. 

Anyway, this took me seconds to find: http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/skyward-sword-officially-listed-for-wii-u

FYI I have actually played about half of Skyward Sword, I spoke about it in this thread at the time. It was absolutely sublime. Unfortunately I had to return the console to the person I'd loaned it from. 

I seem to remember the prologue being long, but I just got on with it. Muscle memory for what seems like the norm for many extended tutorial openers these days took over. 

13 hours ago, Quintus said:

Eh? Jason, you really do talk some nonsense in this thread, please stop it. Neither of these statements are true.

Wrong.

Stick to factual score talk.

What is "factual score talk"?

I probably know more about Nintendo products than you do. 

Not a chance.

An article about a rumor of a port of the Wii version of Skyward Sword coming to the Wii U E-Shop?  That goes to disprove your point; Why would they finally be porting the Wii version now if an HD remaster was in the works?  I guess you read that article (twice now) and somehow thought it was about an an actual HD remake of Skyward Sword, and not just a straight port to the E-Shop.  (Incidentally, none of the 3 games from that "leak" have been released on the E-Shop yet, so I guess it wasn't true anyway).

I listen every single week to a podcast that covers all Nintendo news and rumors, and there's been no mention of a Skyward Sword HD remake for Wii U.  Now, of course since Zelda 19 just got delayed to 2017, they could decide to start an HD remaster now to fill the void.  It would be interesting reworking that game to work with the WIi U controllers, though!  It was built from the ground up to work only with the Wii Motion Plus controller - are those even sold any more?  It would require more re-working than Wind Waker and Twilight Princess did to get working on the WIi U.  I'm not saying it won't be done, but it doesn't seem likely to me.  It's kind of turning into the bastard stepchild of the main series like Zelda 2 once was, with its reliance on motion controls (not a big thing any more in 2016) and endless tutorials.

(And I'm sure you know this, but if you wanted to play Skyward Sword in its original form, the Wii U plays all Wii discs with all Wii remotes)

FYI I have actually played about half of Skyward Sword, I spoke about it in this thread at the time. It was absolutely sublime. Unfortunately I had to return the console to the person I'd loaned it from. 

Cool, I'm glad you like it; I think all Zelda games are great.  However, I am not wrong when I saw its considered among the worst;  Now I didn't mean to imply its down there with the Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks games, nor those goofy spinoffs like Link's Crossbow Training or Hyrule Warriors or those team-up games like Four Swords Adventure or Tri-Force Heroes, and I don't like comparing their 3D games to their 2D ones (LTTP, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Season, Minish Cap, LBW).  It IS considered by Zelda fans to be the weakest of the main console 3D games, so in other words lesser than  Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess.  That doesn't mean its bad, just 5th place in that run of great flagship Zelda games.  That's all.

'Winning' on the internet doesn't matter to me, Stefan. If I were on PC I might have replied more comprehensively, but there's absolutely no chance in phone view and with this site's quotation hassles. 

Talk like what?  Telling the truth?

He thought an HD remake of Skyward Sword is in the works, and used an article mentioning a straight port was coming to the E-Shop as his proof.  What more needs to be said?

Mistakes happen.  There's no need to blame the board software over it.  If he really wanted to, he could just quote my post, and type his replies in Bold or a different color if he can't break out various portions of my post into separate blocks.  But he doesn't want to do that, because he was wrong and knows it, and he's covering over that by blaming the board software instead of having to admit it.  But it's not a big deal, really.  As I said mistakes happen, I've certainly made plenty of my own.

It's certainly possible they will now that Zelda 19 is delayed until March 2017.  Nintendo has an entire fiscal year between now and then with no AAA Wii U titles that we know about, and it seems like it's the final year of major new 3DS titles as well

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've only played the first two Uncharteds so far, but I'm with Not Mr. Big, if that is his real name.

I'm doing my first ever playthrough of A Link to the Past, which is pretty shameful.  I've played all the Zelda games released since then, handheld or otherwise.  After this, the only Zelda game I won't have played is Adventure of Link.

LTTP is a masterpiece, introduced so many elements that have persisted through all the sequels

I recently played Link's Awakening for the first time and was amazed at how god-damn good it was, it incorporates a lot of elements of LTTP but is in an entirely new setting with an entirely new villain and was just brilliant the whole way through.  The only problem is has is the limitation of a 2-button control; You spend half the game in the item menu choosing which item to map to each button.  A new port that allowed you to use 6 buttons would be so worth it.

Likewise, I recently began playing A Link Between Worlds (haven't finished yet) and it is surprisingly good;  It's set in the same world as LTTP, though there are differences throughout, and a different item set.  It's really great so far, a very worthwhile followup to LTTP.

12 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Still the one I enjoyed most, probably. I say the same about Super Mario World. 

The Snes days! 

The SNES, man. What a frickin system. 

The SNES is my favorite video game console of all time, with many of my favorite games of all time being made for it

For me, Indy will always be first, because of nostalgia. I don’t deny that, and frankly, I don’t care, The Last Crusade is top5 for me. Both the movie and the score, it’s basically my childhood, I saw it when I was five. I only discovered Uncharted when I was already an adult, and the Tomb Raider series is just recently adopted to the more cinematic style pulp action-adventure genre (the CORE games were not there yet technically and they were more focused on platforming, exploring without almost any cinematic quality), so even if the Uncarted series is (or any other in the future will be) better than Indiana Jones, I’m still Team Indy :D

My (or more correctly, my paren'ts :D) first computer system was an IMB 286 PC, we skipped the Commodore era end went straight for the big guns, with Windows 3.1!!!

Are we still talking about this? The Indiana Jones trilogy blows the Uncharted (and Tomb Raider) series away. Obviously. (even if it was apples and oranges in the first place)

Which is why I as a gamer still miss the Indiana Jones films.  The Uncharted games, while competent and occasionally very fun aren't enough to fill the void that a good Indy film would. (not that it has to be filled or anything)

Better scores too (even Crystal Skull (one of Williams' worst blockbuster scores) blows them away)

My original remark was throwaway, but if you want to get into it the Uncharted games do scratch the same adventurous itch for me, particularly with this last game. I'd rather have the search for a macguffin through this sort of interactive experience than watch a shitty effort like Indiana Jones 4 which I am literally detached from in every sense. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've barely been on the internet at all since I bought a house on Thursday.   Anyone got a link to a nice summary of all E3 news so far?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I've barely been on the internet at all since I bought a house on Thursday.   Anyone got a link to a nice summary of all E3 news so far?

I love my Wii U!

And it will be on the NX too, which I would think will have the same specs as Project Scorpio and Playstation Neo.

56 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Nintendo's entire history says otherwise. They've always been a generation behind in hardware, though I hope you're right. 

That only started with the Wii. The GameCube was ahead of the competition at the time. The problem was the disc space, just as the 64's problem was its adherence to cartridges when the industry was going toward discs. After the colossal success of the NES and SNES, Nintendo suffered from hubris that has lingered ever since. 

21 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

How was the GameCube more advanced than the PS2 or Xbox?

It was graphically more powerful.