The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

I started a new file of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker last night and, man, that really is one of the most charming and criminally underplayed games of this generation.  Good times!

CT3.jpg

Fun Nintendo quiz:

Can you name the last five video games to be released in (the main canon of) each of the following Nintendo franchises?

http://www.sporcle.com/games/teedslaststand/last-five-nintendo

I got 27/30 because I'm a loser.

Hot off the presses NX rumor:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

I'm buying this thing no matter what, but sounds like it could be cool.  Can't wait for the official unveiling.

According to that article it will be September.  But despite Eurogamer writing that article like it's indisputable fact, it's all rumors and hearsay so I'm taking the whole thing with a grain of salt.

I want Nintendo to succeed but I'm not holding my breath for them to deliver a console on par with Sony and Microsoft. However, Pokemon GO has their stocks at their most valuable since the Famicom was originally released, and the upcoming NES Classic console they're releasing in November are steps in the right direction for the company. They really just need to go third party and ditch the hardware.

I will never not want to play the new Mario, Zelda, DK, Metroid, etc. on release day and I always want to play their weird new idea that may or may not stick (from Splatoon to Box Boy).  Basically I'll go wherever Nintendo is releasing games.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

They'll be fine!

They aren't invincible. They need to break back into the games industry in some successful way. Wii U sold worse than the Sega DreamCast for crying out loud!

I personally feel like they should bring back the GameBoy and ditch the whole 3D touch screen stuff from the DS line. Make a powerful dedicated handheld.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I will never not want to play the new Mario, Zelda, DK, Metroid, etc. on release day and I always want to play their weird new idea that may or may not stick (from Splatoon to Box Boy).  Basically I'll go wherever Nintendo is releasing games.

Box Boy isn't a Nintendo-designed game, they simply published a game made by HAL Labratory (and its sequel, which I haven't played yet)

Do you like Splatoon?

4 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

They aren't invincible. They need to break back into the games industry in some successful way. Wii U sold worse than the Sega DreamCast for crying out loud!

Nintendo has so much money, they could have 3 systems fail in a row and still be fine.  It's ridiculous how much money they have.

I personally feel like they should bring back the GameBoy and ditch the whole 3D touch screen stuff from the DS line.

Have you actually played the 3DS?  The touch screen elements are rarely used by recent  games.  It's one of the best systems of all time.

I love Splatoon's controls, the core gameplay idea, and the visuals but I'm not a big online competitive player so I wish the single player experience was meatier.  Maybe for the sequel on NX!

I consider HAL essentially a part of Nintendo (if not legally) since they're behind Kirby and Smash.  Heck, Satoru Iwata (may he rest in peace) was handpicked to be Yamauchi's successor while he was President of HAL.  Also, I'm playing Boxboxboy (what a name) off and on this month and enjoying it quite a bit.  It's more Boxboy basically!

I meant to exclude any gimmicks and just go for a straight handheld device from the start. The PlayStation Vita did the same thing with it's rear touch pad, which all games after launch don't incorporate.

Wow I have no idea how that slipped under my radar during the Vita's launch!

Can't believe some exec approved such an ad, but apparently they did worse with a Vita commercial using masturbation innuendo with a sexy female doctor, which immediately got pulled due to backlash.

Though it honestly is the same thing that Activision did for MW2 back in the day. I remember seeing an abridged version of this on TV!

Not me!

The whole Pokemon thing is completely after my time.  I've never played a second of any of the games ever, never seen the show, etc.

None of my friends were into it either.  Marcy's brother though, is a big fan.

I was 11 when the Pokemon craze hit in '98.  Prime age.  I got really into Blue on the Game Boy.  But after '99 I've never once cared about Pokemon again.  Just not my thing.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

It annoyed me it wasn't backwards compatible with PSP discs

Well those UMDs weren't really future proof. They switched over to SD cards, which makes more sense. What Sony didn't realize, however, is that the PSP's massive success was because it could so easily be hacked and jailbroken to emulate almost any game. They made the Vita so full proof that once you sign in it's forever tied to that account. Cannot sell it.

The thing is, I really really want to play the Final Fantasy IV remake they made for the PSP, and would buy the physical game and a PS Vita if I could play it on that, but I can't, and I'm not gonna buy an original PSP just to play it. 

Apparently you can buy it digitally and play on a PS3 or PS4, but I'm a physical media guy, so it's annoying.

Get over it is all I can say, as a fellow physical media guy. The games industry is gradually moving towards digital only. It's honestly better since there's no difference in quality as opposed to other media like music and movies. You're preventing yourself from experiencing a lot of great games if you steer towards physical only. 

I'm glad Jay's not a PC gamer. Physical media has really been dead on it for years. Steam sales, GOG, Humble Bundles, and emulators saw to that. Then again, once anything is installed on your hard drive, why would you want to pop in a disk or disc? 

I think Pokemon came out when I'd just started going to bars and clubs, so no, I have no experience of it whatsoever. 

The last big toy craze during my childhood was soda branded (Coke, Pepsi, Fanta, Sprite etc) yo-yos and the skilful tricks kids could pull off with them. They were huge for a little while. 

I also remember something called 'Pogs', but again I was a bit old for that. 

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Star Trek Is Better Than Everything!

George Takei plays Pokemon Go

CoiEvYkUMAA4uap.jpg

Pokemon GO LIVE!

Posted by George Takei on Donnerstag, 28. Juli 2016

On 7/28/2016 at 11:49 PM, WojinPA said:

I'm glad Jay's not a PC gamer. Physical media has really been dead on it for years. Steam sales, GOG, Humble Bundles, and emulators saw to that. Then again, once anything is installed on your hard drive, why would you want to pop in a disk or disc? 

I haven't bought a physical PC game since Escape From Monkey Island.

I've bought many physical games but they've all been older games, like the Diablo 2 and Starcraft box sets at Walmart, or used copies of Star Trek Borg and Blade Runner. I don't specifically remember my last physical copy of a new game. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just 100%ed a Super Mario World file for the millionth time.  My personal favorite detail of the palette swap is how the piranha flowers get replaced with jack o'lanterns.