The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

13 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

When it comes to platformers, I've always been more of a Donkey Kong Country guy. I find every aspect of those games to be more satisfying: the graphics, the music, the universe, the humour... That's not to say the Mario games are not fine games, because they definitely are, but still...

I miss the old Rareware...

The three DK Country games are immaculate. 

The most recent DKC, Tropical Freeze, is pretty great too I think. Obviously not Rareware, but the Retro DKC games are their own different kind of good. They're also much harder than the Rare ones ever were. Fun though!

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The three DK Country games are immaculate. 

Isn't the third one widely considered a step down from the first two?

Speaking of DK, does anyone have any insight on the music for those three SNES games? The other day I saw CDs on sale for each score on eBay, with the seller saying he got them from Nintendo Power. They sold for hundreds of dollars each and the nostalgia in me almost made me purchase them. I thought they only existed as game rips on YouTube. Any other official releases?

26 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I think it got that reputation because the universe feels (even) more kiddie-oriented than the first two, but I personally find it to be just as good as the other two.

Yes! I love DKC3!  The world map especially is a definite step up from the previous, lots of interesting stuff.  And there were some really cool level design idea there.

My personal ranking of the Rare DKCs:

Games which are completely designed around online co-op play do not appeal to me, so Sea of Thieves has never looked like a Rareware return like some people want it to be.

12 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Rare, what a thoroughly disappointing company they turned out to be. Sea of Thieves needs to be fabulous if their dignity is to be restored. 

None of the original staff is even there anymore. They were superb in the 90s. Microsoft bought them and had them do crappy Kinect games for years. Had no respect for the IPs they had in their possession with that developer.

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Happy 25th birthday to the SNES, still my favorite console.

Mine too!

Wow, I somehow never heard of this Illusion of Gaia game before that you posted a screenshot of - I must check it out!

My favourite console was the Gameboy emulator for the PC, those long nights of Pokémon on a big monitor in a small window resting my legs on the table are precious memories :D

Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat were amazing back in the day!  Endless hours played with neighborhood friends after school

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow, I somehow never heard of this Illusion of Gaia game before that you posted a screenshot of - I must check it out!

It's one of my favorite SNES games and is criminally underplayed.  It actually attempts some pretty ambitious things narratively, at least for an SNES action-RPG.

The SNES still has maybe the greatest library of any single console. So many absolute classics on that system from a wide variety of genres. Platformers, RPG's, fighters, racing games, shooters; it had it all. 

It was quite rare for someone over here to own a SNES. The Sega Genesis (called Sega Mega Drive in here) was by far the most popular console. I still have mine up and running

1 hour ago, Romão said:

It was quite rare for someone over here to own a SNES. The Sega Genesis (called Sega Mega Drive in here) was by far the most popular console.

And that's why you guys will always be the poor man's Spain.

We had both NES and Genesis and I agree with the above statements. The Sonic games could not hold a candle to the Mario games. Fortunately some of the better SNES platformers were also on Genesis, like The Lion King. 

Sports games and arcade ports are really the only advantage the Genesis had over SNES, and since those are genres I largely don't care about, I didn't care about Genesis.

I didn't really have any input over the game systems my family bought when I was a child. I enjoyed my Game Boy very much, as I consider its Donkey Kong to be one of the finest platformers ever made. A pity my cartridge's internal memory no longer remembers save progress. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Donkey Kong '94 is awesome! And led to a nice series of spin-off games (Mario Vs DK)

I like the Mario vs DK games but the whole "minis" thing, guiding characters you don't have direct control of, has gotten old at this point.

After this many games in the series, it's time for a shakeup.  I'd love another honest-to-goodness puzzle platformer like '94 and the first MvDK.

Capture.PNG

Agreed, I haven't played all the latest in the minis series, but DK94, Mario vs DK, and March of the Minis are all excellent!

On 8/23/2016 at 1:38 PM, Disco Stu said:

Happy 25th birthday to the SNES, still my favorite console.

13466340373396.gif

ALinkToThePast-Rain.gif

FkiQg6F.gif

tumblr_n4r4h7hhj31rbf68no1_500.gif

The lack of Super Metroid on this list makes me sad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yup I played that one last year and really liked it a lot.  I might try to play the fan-made Metroid 2 color remake before delving into Super Metroid and then replaying Metrorid Fusion.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Gonna try to finish up Link Between Worlds and Chrono Trigger this weekend, maybe start Wind Waker

That is one exemplary lineup. Chrono Trigger is one of those few games that I'd consider to be essentially flawless. 

Perhaps a Holy Trinity then?

I just find it immensely replayable, with memorable music, cool atmosphere, funny in-jokes and dialogue, a fun take on the turn based format.

1. Wind Waker

2. Super Mario Sunshine

3. Metroid Prime

4. Luigi's Mansion

5. Paper Mario

Yes, I like the original Luigi's Mansion much more than most (and I don't particularly like the 3DS sequel) and, no, I'm not a big Smash Bros. fan.

EDIT: Twilight Princess would probably edge Paper Mario out but I've always thought of that as more of a Wii game, since that's where I played it first.