The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

17 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'd love to play it and one I will. 

What does that mean?

I've got a Switch and this game arriving from Amazon tomorrow.  My favorite way to play from the reviews I've read and videos I've watched will be as a cartographer simulator essentially :P. I want to explore every nook and cranny and set icons on the map and shit.  Great fun timekiller.

You were able to get an Amazon preorder?  That's awesome, I have to drive to a freaking Best Buy to get mine

I have TWO preorders.  One from Amazon (neon) and an in-store at Gamestop (grey).  I pretty much have the Gamestop one as a backup in case the Amazon shipment is delayed (still waiting on shipping confirmation now).

I went with the grey

Managed to snag a pre-order for the SE of BOTW from a Wal*Mart near the Best Buy, too.

I really want Snipperclips (I think my wife would actually play it with me) but am sad there's no physical release

I WANT to play this on Switch, but frankly this game was the main reason I bit the bullet and picked up a Wii-U two years ago in the first place.  Since reportedly the game is the same, and since I don't really care much about the graphics, slight lag times, etc, Wii U will do it for me.

Probably will be easier to find, too.

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I enjoy bright colors in hardware design.  It's one reason I fell so hard for the purple Gamecube.

I love my black Gamecube!  Especially with the Gameboy Player attached to the bottom!

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I WANT to play this on Switch, but frankly this game was the main reason I bit the bullet and picked up a Wii-U two years ago in the first place.  Since reportedly the game is the same, and since I don't really care much about the graphics, slight lag times, etc, Wii U will do it for me.

In the long run there will be far, far more copies pressed of the Switch version than the Wii U version.

50 minutes ago, mstrox said:

You are what I like to call a "responsible, rational consumer."  I am most of the time too.  Go a bit crazy when there's new Nintendo hardware.

The smart thing to do with the Switch is definitely wait until the holidays when there's a better bundle and better games available.

But yea, I want that shit now :P

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

yeah, I saw a used Wii U at gamestop for 200$ . I almost felt like picking up the console for Zelda (and Xenoblade Chronicles X)

As much as I'd love to play Zelda tomorrow, I'm not really bothered that I can't, I'm not craving for this or anything like that. Mainly because there's an absolutely insane amount of other great games to play in the meantime, some of which have been backlogged long enough already. So many triple-A titles, so little time. Zelda is but the latest drop in the ocean. 

that's true. I have at least 20 games lined up for this year alone, and probably won't have time to do them all

About halfway through Tales of Berseria now

55 minutes ago, Quintus said:

As much as I'd love to play Zelda tomorrow, I'm not really bothered that I can't, I'm not craving for this or anything like that. Mainly because there's an absolutely insane amount of other great games to play in the meantime, some of which have been backlogged long enough already. So many triple-A titles, so little time. Zelda is but the latest drop in the ocean. 

What are you currently playing? My backlog is extensive and if we want to get technical there are still a bunch of PS3s games I never got around to. But keeping it to the essentials, I have Titanfall 2, Dishonored 2, The Last Guardian, Resident Evil 7, and a slew of other VR games. Plus some remasters of games that I've played in the past but would love to revisit (BioShock collection, Skyrim).

Have you played For Honor? I'm tempted by the postive reviews but have heard the servers are shit and the online community not so great. Thankfully Ghost Recon is garbage, at least in beta form, so I can avoid that. 

Next games I'll be getting are Mass Effect, Persona 5, and Prey. 

Picked up my Switch I had pre-ordered at Best Buy, and saw tons of consoles on a table in the front available for anybody who wanders in and wants to buy one.  Are some areas really reporting low quantities available of this thing?

Then I went to Target and got a Pro Controller and the Special Edition of Zelda; Didn't even have a preorder.

22 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

What are you currently playing? 

I'm trying to speed through Far Cry: Primal, but it's rather gorgeous and chilled out to be too hasty on it. The all too familiar Ubisoft open world grind of its core design is beginning to wear though. Doom is on pause. Started Fallout 4 but got distracted by something else yet again and so will probably have to restart it, again.

ABZU is another one I've played a bit of just recently, it's serene and balletic. When you swim with your first shoal of fish it knocks your socks off in its technical majesty, a stunning musical score on it too. For Honor I'm waiting to see what happens. It's having a lot of issues at the moment so I'm in no hurry to pick up what still could potentially turn out to be a fine new multiplayer alternative, that is if Ubisoft look after it (they would eventually secure a loyal active community with their Rainbow Six reboot, so it could happen).

I played and enjoyed the original game, but Prey 2 I'm put off by since they completely went back to the drawing board and returned with what looks like Bioshock 4 (I know that's ideal for many). I loved the look of the canned Blade Runner-esque version they first shown years ago, but alas some moron at Bethesda decided it wasn't working. I still haven't played Mass Effect 3.

And in unrelated developments, there's more really disappointing information coming out about Switch and Zelda's performance profile when docked:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-face-off

If Nintendo can't further optimise and iron out those serious frame rate drops, I'm afraid it'll be a permanent deal breaker for me. 20fps in 2017 is disgraceful. 

Zelda: Switch Vs Wii, and it's damning. But there is a silver lining for those wanting to play the game without buying the new machine: the two versions are practically identical. 

But holy crap that's a hell of a premium to pay for a 900p difference. I can't see any reason whatsoever to purchase a Switch at the moment. 

I'm really hoping Nintendo can improve performance in this game, because I'll eventually and quite happily play it on the Wii U at a drastically cheaper cost to early adopters of the enormously disappointing Switch machine. 

No, but a future purchase of a second hand one for a good price is a far more attractive prospect to me than the the thought of stumping up £280+game to play it on the underwhelming Switch. 

well. like I said I had the same idea yesterday..but then your stuck with a WiiU afterwards

wii U was 200$ here..plus I guess you also need a pro controller for that too

Here's another comparison video

Why is he topless on Wii U and clothed on Switch?

I never get a console on launch. You gotta let the game library grow and the kinks in the hardware launch often get ironed out after a while. The PS3 for instance didn't really get going until a couple years in.

Their handheld system series like GameBoy and DS got redesigns long after the SNES redesign. And one could argue that the Wii U's backward compatibility with all original Wii games and peripherals make it a redesign too. A redesigned Switch that improves hardware is not an impossibility. 

All of Nintendo's handhelds get an updated version 2 years or so in and the Switch will likely be no different

I am well aware of how they are choosing to market it.

That does not make the fact they will likely refresh it any less likely.

Of course, nothing is set in stone, and anything is possible.

Holiday 2019 may be two calendar years after 2017, but it will be the third holiday season its available at

So I got Zelda for Wii-U, after a lot of finagling bills (three paychecks this month helped).  It's pretty great.  The reviews aren't lying.  I've played for maybe 15 hours of asleep-baby time, and honestly feel like I haven't even cracked into the world yet. 

It's also much, much harder than other recent Zeldas.  You can go anywhere you want at the beginning with three hearts and no weapons, so it's easy to wander into a giant miniboss or a horde of bokoblins and get splattered.  Save frequently to make sure you keep everything you pick up, because if you're just wandering a long distance without triggering cutscenes, autosave doesn't trigger either.

For me, there's some frustration involved in some of the tasks that are unguided.  For instance, early in the game you are given some photographs and you have to find the specific place in Hyrule where they were taken.  The place is MASSIVE.  It took me two hours of random wandering to find the first one, and that first one is a barrier before you continue the story.

I don't regret the decision to go Wii-U on this at all.  I'm having no significant performance difficulties. 

I'm using the tablet.  The tablet's screen is blank during the game - no HUD/menu/map use - although you can switch the whole game to the tablet screen if you have to move or if somebody else wants the TV.

Yes, I was very disappointed that they removed the tablet features when the game became a dual Switch and Wii U launch.  I think the tablet was originally going to have the map on it while you were exploring around on the TV

Honestly, despite the size of the world, I haven't had a lot of need to refer to the map.  You can set waypoints all over (many times without even opening the map), and they'll show as beacons on your HUD map.  Mercifully, quick travel points are introduced in the first hour of the game, and that's really the only time I bother scrolling around the big map (at least at this point)

I could be wrong about what the tablet features were originally going to be; I can't remember now

Having the map constantly on was helpful in the DS Zelda games, since you could constantly take notes.  This map has some customizable stamps, but nothing that will help you remember/solve puzzles later.  There's another feature that will help you log/remember things once you get through the first few hours of the game.

I wonder if a future update to the Switch could allow Wii U tablet controller pairing, and they could sell ports of Wii U games in the virtual console?

I imagine probably not, and they will just port games to the Switch proper using Switch controls like Mario Kart 8.

I actually noticed that Nintendo seems to be trying their best to get all the best Wii U games out there on other systems since so few Wii U consoles were sold.  They seem to have followed 3 different methods for doing this so far:

1> Releasing a port on the 3DS (Smash 4, Mario Maker, Yoshi's Woolly World, Hyrule Warriors)

2> Releasing a port for the Switch (Mario Kart 8, LEGO City Undercover)

3> Releasing a sequel for the Switch (Splatoon)

The question is what they will do with their remaining big Wii U titles - New Super Mario/Luigi U, Mario 3D World, DKC Tropical Freeze, Paper Mario Color Splash, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Pikmin 3, Starfox Zero/Guard (Guard being impossible to play without the Wii U tablet), Bayonetta 1/2Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE....

I can see Tropical Freeze and Xenoblade X getting 3DS versions since DKReturns and Xenoblade 1 did, and fully expect Smash 4 to get a Switch port once their online infrastructure is fully realized (with maybe Smash 5 coming at towards end of the Switch lifecycle, or be a launch game for the Switch 2), but I think the others (the Mario, Starfox, Bayonetta and Pikmin games) could get lost in the ether unfortunately...

thye were able to port Xenoblade Chronicles 1 on the 3 DS because it was a low quality graphics Wii game. Xenoblade X is a Wii U so it's a lot more complex than the first one. If the ported Xenoblade X to the Switch It would help me consider a Switch in the future

Since they are making Xenoblade 2 for the Switch, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a port of Xenoblade X for the Switch that comes out about a year afterwards, maybe?  And if there's a Wii Virtual Console, they'll probably sell Xenoblade 1 for the Switch that way

As I progress further into Horizon, the depth of the gameplay continues to satisfy and be a joy to experiment with. The game is a real challenge if you wander into territory you're not ready for, and of course you can because it's a completely seamless open world. I'll post some screenshots later but at every turn there's a gorgeous vista to get lost in.