The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Yes. I was able to stably use my left hand to aim the right POV joystick and right hand on A to ice rune break the defenses, since the prince was steering. Pretty fun. 

I watch almost all the conferences (I usually skip EA and Microsoft) even though I mostly play Nintendo games.  Just kinda fun to follow along at home.

It's started!

What is this, a new mech fighting game in the Breath of the Wild engine?

Daemon X Machina.... ok.  Not my thing

Xenoblade II DLC, still gotta play this game.  Love the score.  DLC coming September

Reggie!  Talking about Pokemon

LOL  another live action commercial.  Where's Karen?

It's for a new Mario Party game?

LOL they are playing while camping

Super Mario Party coming October

Fire Emblem 16, called Fire Emblem Three Houses.  Looks like all new characters, not a remake

Graphics are really nice!  Reminds me somewhat of Octopath Traveler

Spring 2019

Fortnite is next, the latest worst kept secret

Available today, which had also leaked early

Overcooked 2 coming, still gotta play the first.

Then they showed some other retro-styled indie game I missed, now it's Hollow Knight, which looks great!

Wow, new Octopath Traveler demo coming June 14th!  The first demo was great

Montage of games now, Starlink, Minecraft, Sushi Striker, Mario + Rabbids DLC, Just Dance, Dragon Ball Fighterz, Splatoon 2 DLC, Captain Toad Treaser Tracker port, Crash Bandicoot trilogy, Ninjala, FIFA18, Wasteland 2, Paladins, Fallout Shelter, Dark Souls remastered, SNK Heroines, Wolfenstein II, TWEWY, Mega Man 11, Mario Tennis Aces, some other stuff

Shinya Takahasi is speaking now!  Introducing   Masahiro Sakurai to talk about Smash!

Showing a video of some of the fighters that will be in Smash 5

Huh.  It seems it contains EVERY fighter that's been in EVERY prior Smash game.... 64 characters at least?  Good lord!

called "Super Smash Bros Ultimate".  So is it more like a compilation of 1-4 more than a true 5th game?

Good lord.  I've never played a Smash game before other than sampling an early one for a short while but it sure looks like they put a LOT of thought and care and balance into this thing.  This is one deep game.

Says not to expect too many new challengers, but you know over the next few years they'll keep adding more via DLC.  Getting a trailer now for a new character, starts with Samus. Mario, and Luigi walking through a sci-fi corridor and.....it's Ridley.  I think that leaked early too didn't it?

Game comes out December 7

And that's the whole Direct!  Treehouse time now.

Oof its live so we have to hear everything twice once in english and once in japanese but they are talking to Sakurai about Smash 5

Not a lot in that presentation for me.  Smash is ok, but not among my favorite Nintendo series.  Fire Emblem isn't my thing either.

What would have sold me more on Smash was showing a single player mode(s) that is much much more robust than what was in the 3DS/Wii U versions, which were huge disappointments for me.

Too much Smash talk, not enough other games

No Metroid Prime 4, no Animal Crossing, no new footage of Yoshi (which is supposed to be coming out this year), no Odyssey DLC, no Pikmin 4, no Mother 3

If anything it's just a further sign that E3 is not the be-all, end-all presentation for Nintendo like it is for other companies.  They like to pepper their announcements throughout the year.  I'm ok with it.

Apparently Fortnite can be downloaded right now and is free

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

If anything it's just a further sign that E3 is not the be-all, end-all presentation for Nintendo like it is for other companies.  They like to pepper their announcements throughout the year.  I'm ok with it.

Yea, you're right

Bill Trinen on their approach to E3 this year:

More than a logo?

Bill: [Laughs] Last year was the first year for Switch at E3, so we took a bit of a departure from our usual approach to E3, which is to focus on more near-term stuff. Last year, because it was the first year for the hardware, we looked at things that were maybe a little further out. This year, you can see pretty clearly, we’re back to focusing on the near-term. We’ll have more to share with Metroid Prime 4 when we have something we think is going to wow people.

https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-2018/2018/06/12/nintendo-on-metroid-prime-4s-e3-2018-absence

Yea everything they showed was either coming out in 2018, at at the very latest "spring" 2019

It definitely would've been nice to see an Animal Crossing, since New Leaf came out like 5 years ago.  But I'm also super deep in Stardew Valley right now, so I'm ok with waiting a while longer.  Wouldn't want to have my "chore" games too close together.

Should I keep watching treehouse live, or go eat lunch?  If it's only going to be about Smash 5, I don't care.  But last year after the main Direct was over, they announced Samus Returns in the treehouse presentation... hhmmmm

Well I'm glad I went outside and ate lunch in the glorious weather.  All they've been showing is Smash 5 and Pokemon stuff.  Oh well.

Hopefully it won't be too long until we get Yoshi news

4 minutes ago, Wojism said:

I learned last night, don't boat to Eventide Island at 12:30 am if you only have 10 hearts and 30 korok seeds in your pocket. 

I got there with 4 hearts and before I knew about the maracas dude...I tried, I really did. That area is actually my favorite in the game, I love how the game's basic mechanics are so robust and thorough that they can pull that off. I wish they had more of that, but at least the Trial of the Sword uses a similar premise.

Eventide Island! I landed there fairly early and couldn't beat it.  Kept meaning to return later after beating some more Beasts and having some more hearts, but never did!

HUGE news for Nintendo/platformer history nerds like myself.  The original 1981 arcade Donkey Kong game is being officially re-released for the first time EVER on Switch today.  The only way to play it before now outside of an arcade machine was pirated MAME emulation.  Previous re-releases of the game by Nintendo have always been of the mid-80s NES port.

The NES port is three screens, the arcade is four.  The third cement factory screen was removed from the port for memory reasons presumably.  The screen resolution and aspect ratio is different as well.  Other than those obvious differences I’m not sure.  Experts could say.

This is definitely an archival release and not for everyone.  I still have fun with the original Donkey Kong.  Fun pick-up-and-play high score attack gameplay.  But yeah it’s an almost 40 year old game and therefore nothing more than a novelty for most.

Its place in gaming history is gargantuan of course as the first game designed by Miyamoto, Nintendo’s first arcade hit, and widely agreed to be the first true platformer.

And it's the game the great documentary "King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters" is all about! 

Nintendo is also doing an Arcade Archive release for Sky Skipper, a 1981 game that flopped in Japan and therefore never made it to American or European arcades.

It wasn’t designed by Miyamoto but he did do the illustration for the physical cabinet:

C53E769F-EC42-4932-BA57-0DB6FA9DBA0A.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing a bunch of Mario Kart 8 DX online the past few weeks.  I've never played much MK online ever, for some reason, but I've been having a lot of fun.  The perfect way to de-stress.  My experience points are still only a measly 1400, because I'm really not very good.  Basically as long as I don't care too much about winning, it's a nice way to get in some kart racing that's so much less boring than racing single-player against computer racers.

I haven't played an MK game against online players since Mario Kart Wii.  I always had more fun playing MK games when friends were over and we could all play against each other in the same room.  I kinda liked the single player mode on Mario Kart 7 on 3DS to unwind for like one circuit before bed

• 2 weeks later...

Identical!  Well, the microphone stuff (which was pretty minimal to begin with) is gone (blowing into it).  I haven't gotten to the new levels, but I know there's only like 4 of them.

It's definitely a double-dip, but hey, my Wii U is packed away for the foreseeable future and I'm enjoying the heck out of replaying it.

Oh, is it only 4 new levels?  I thought it was more than that.  They also took out the SM3DW levels, from what I understand.

It's such a fun game.  And I love the character and overall art direction that comes out of that studio.  So glad 3D Mario is those artists' hands.

Check out those sweet dragons

10206.png

I know some people complain about Wii U games being ported to the Switch, but I feel EXACTLY the opposite.  That system had such a strong library, I'm glad all the hits are getting re-released on a system people actually own

Wal*Mart has Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle for $30 today

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mario-Rabbids-Kingdom-Battle-Ubisoft-Nintendo-Switch-887256028299/55885487

I do wonder if a future version is coming with the DLC included, though.

Amazon just emailed me that I should have Octopath on this Friday.  So basically a week delay.  I don't mind since I haven't beaten Steamworld Dig yet