The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Here's a great essay from Chris Kohler, one of the best games writers, on why Link's Awakening was the perfect followup to Breath of the Wild

https://kotaku.com/the-bite-sized-links-awakening-is-the-perfect-follow-up-1838716920

In this way, it’s the perfect chaser to Breath of the Wild. That game’s impossibly vast map always seemed to reveal more complexity every time you thought you had a handle on its depths. After all that, it’s nice to have all that Zelda goodness squished down into a dense little nugget of joy, one in which the next cool thing is just a few tiles away.

When Nintendo moved from having separate portable and home game platforms to having a single platform that runs every game, it had to figure out how it was going to differentiate what used to be “home” Zeldas and “portable” Zeldas. “Big” and “small” seems to be a good way to split them. With a full sequel to Breath of the Wild in development, hopefully we’ll see more tiny Zeldas as a palate cleanser after what’s sure to be another all-consuming 100-hour epic

Yea I'd love yearly Zelda releases with "small" ones filling in multiple years between "big" ones.  Like it would have been sweet if after BOTW in 2017, we got Link's Awakening remake in 2018, Oracle of Ages/Seasons remakes in 2019, and BOTW 2 in 2020, etc

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oracle of Ages/Seasons remakes in 2019,

After finishing Link's Awakening, I'm itching to dive right into those games, which I never played on GBC.  I bought the 3DS releases but never finished either game.  The remakes need to happen!

Dude - same same same.  I also never played them on GBC, also have already purchased them for 3DS, and also haven't finished them!

Link's Awakening and Phantom Hourglass are the only two handheld games I've played, so I'd have interest in playing the others - especially the Oracle games. Hopefully if they remake them for the Switch, they'll put both of those games together (instead of making fans buy two $60 remakes and enter the code from their previous game or something).  Yes I am aware that there are smoother ways to access save game data than entering codes

I am pretty certain if they did a remake of Oracle of Ages/Seasons, they'd be combined together into one mega-game this time, probably incorporating elements from the dropped third game

And yes A Link Between Worlds is fantastic, one of the best 3DS games there is

I kind of like the DS and 3DS Mario Kart entries, but never stuck with them long enough to get too far, not sure why.  I put a ton of hours into the Wii entry though

I played tons of Mario Kart 64 with my siblings and friends, but haven't done more than dabble in later versions, even though I've owned the DS, 2DS, GameCube, and Wii-U versions.  It's not something I've retained a lot of interest in.

I always start out super interested in them and love unlocking all the tracks and playing them all.... then..... meh.... no huge reason to keep playing.  And I don't want to play online against 13 year olds 100x better than me

Haha, clever idea

And man, I just don't have nostalgia for that era of gaming, at least when it comes to the graphics.  Too janky.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Haha, clever idea

And man, I just don't have nostalgia for that era of gaming, at least when it comes to the graphics.  Too janky.

I have great mountains of nostalgia for the N64 Zelda graphical style.  Maybe not as much other games of that era.

Yea I checked it out at some point.  Maybe farted around for 20 minutes then moved on to something else

Continued my replay, played BOTW for a few hours last night - did a lot of incidental stuff in Zora's Domain, collected lightning arrows, took a couple of ill-fated attempts at slaying the Lynel, and then got 95% of the way through the Zora temple (got to the boss, died a few times, realized it was almost 2am, called it quits).   Probably going to have to teleport out to Zora's Domain or Kakariko tonight to restock my arrows, because it seems like I just don't have nearly enough to take down Waterblight Ganon. 

I've killed several!  My approach is to have a shitload of bomb arrows, eat something to boost my attack, spam the crap out of bullet time, and just shoot them in the face over and over.

Pretty good Radio Free Nintendo this week Stu.  No James Jones whatsoever, just Gui, Greg, and Jon talking Nintendo games for 2 hours.  Would that it could be like this every week

Just now, Jay said:

Pretty good Radio Free Nintendo this week Stu.  No James Jones whatsoever, just Guy, Greg, and Jon talking Nintendo games for 2 hours.  Would that it could be like this every week

Thanks for the heads up I'll actually listen this week.  I've definitely come close to just deleting it from my podcast feed entirely, a sharp turn from 7-5 years ago when an RFN t-shirt was a staple of my shirt rotation.

Lynels always make pretty quick work of me - combat is my weakest attribute in this game, and it doesn't help that I only have four hearts right now (I've been focusing on expanding my stamina this go-round).  One of this Lynel's lightning arrows takes me right out.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like A HAT IN TIME on Switch is getting exclusive DLC that isn't going to be on other consoles

The base game is $30 digitally or $40 physical

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/a-hat-in-time-switch/

• 2 weeks later...

On this week's NXPress Podcast, Patrick gave a mini-review, completely spoiler free because the embargo isn't over yet, but he was extremely extremely positive about the game, basically saying it takes all the best parts of 1 and 2 and adds in a bunch of fantastic new mechanics and is overall just excellent.  Worth a listen!

I also thought it was so bizarre that completely coincidentally both this week's NVC and last week's NWR both spent time talking about Japanese Tanooki statues and their giant balls.  What are the odds

I'm gonna go pick it up in a couple hours, looking forward to it. I played some multiplayer with my brother earlier in the week, which I thought was fun! Growing up with siblings there were so many great games where I'd say, "Aw, if only we could play this together." Luigi's Mansion was definitely one of them we would fantasize about, so it's cool to finally be able to live out those long ago daydreams!

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody here play Mario Kart Tour on Android or IOS? I swear to God, this is so addictive! Collecting characters, karts, points, rubies, coins etc. 

By the way, I'm a huge Nintendo fan, I have played most Mario and Zelda games on all Nintendo handhelds and many consoles. In recent years, I haven't played that much, but I'm still a huge fan! 

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow, I don't even want to look back on how long it's been since I last played, but I finally resumed Link's Awakening (Switch remake) last night, which was that I had just finished the Face shrine I think.

Anyways, I basically did everything you had to do to unlock Eagle Tower, or whatever dungeon #7 is called.  So I had to go through the signpost maze, learn a new song, play it for a skull that turned into a rooster, and fly up into a cave int he mountains to go over a void to get the bird key and used that to unlock the tower and go inside.  Phew!

It was nice to get back to this game, as its still a joy to play and look at.  When those frogs underground did their song and dance, I freaking loved it.  I can't remember what that was like on GB but I'd imagine it's a bit embellished here.  I can't remember if there are any additional secrets I can get with the rooster, probably a heart piece in a cave somewhere?  Anyone gotta hint?

Made my way through Eagle Tower.  I heard a lot of chatter on podcasts about how annoying this dungeon is compared to all the others, but I dunno, I didn't mind it.  I think perhaps I still had a decent memory of going through it on GB for whatever reason so having to move the ball around to break the pillars seemed natural.  The boss was awesome, in terms up setup and graphics and everything, I loved it, but like all the bosses it was so super easy it was over practically before it began.  Seemed like he only took a couple sword thwacks to finish off.  Oh well.

After that I saved Marin and made my way to Turtle Rock and fought that turtle head thing outside to get in.  Took me longer to beat him than it did the eagle!  Saved once I got inside, maybe I'll play tonight?

Does Links’s Awakening still have frame rate issues? Or have they fixed that in a patch yet.

In semi-Nintendo related stuff, I’m starting another play-through of Skyrim on the Switch to try and satisfy my need to buy the $150 Xbox One S and get some new games. I have an urge to play Fallout 4, but Skyrim will have to suffice for now. 

Nintendo will never patch it.

And... It's fine. It's noticeable when you start playing because other AAA games wouldn't have it. But in the end it doesn't really hurt anything 

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

SPIKE!!  POKEY!  Ice coins!  Dash blocks!  A mega OP LINK!  And it arrives in 3 days!!

Dang!  Hope to see someone recreate Zelda II: The Adventure of Link in this game!!!

Last week was the Switch's best sales week ever.  Including launch week!  Wow.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191204005764/en/Nintendo-Switch-Achieves-Week-Sales-U.S.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Over Thanksgiving week (Nov. 24 to Nov. 30), the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite systems sold a combined total of more than 830,000 units in the U.S., according to internal data. This ranks as the single best week of U.S. sales in Nintendo Switch history. These results were bolstered in part by the recently introduced Nintendo Switch Lite system and a variety of Black Friday offers, such as a Nintendo Switch bundle that included a full game download of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe game at no additional charge. Total sales of Nintendo Switch in the Americas have reached 17.5 million units.