The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

I finished dungeon 8 (Turtle Rock) in Link's Awakening, went right to the egg and played all the instruments to crack it open and went inside.  That cutscene was great, loved all the new graphics and animations.  Once inside I had no idea how to solve the maze, and it was getting late, so I saved and quit.

Next time I played, I had a GREAT TIME.  I wandered around the entire world map looking for hidden items and stuff.  I found the book in the library that tells you how to solve the maze and snapped a pic of that.  I found the seashell mansion, which i somehow hadn't found yet, and collected 2 rewards; I thought I had found a lot of shells, but I was way off - I only had 22 out of 50!  One of my rewards was a seashell finder, which is awesome because it makes a noise when you are near a shell, so that's when I really began my wandering.  I found a ton more shells, but also, surprisingly, ended up in a few areas where I couldn't figure out how to get the shell!

I also realized I had some empty item slots in my inventory, and I have no idea what will fill them!  I also picked up some item I don't remember from the original game, a granite slab or something like that?  This was a while ago now, I haven't had a chance to play in a while.  But if I find time tonight, I'll do some more wandering.  I still have 2 missing heart pieces to fill, too!

You get the Boomerang from the trading sequence IIRC, and some bottles from other things

The granite slab is for Dampe's chamber dungeon if I understand you correctly.

Oh I've had the boomerang the whole game, it's like the most OP weapon in the whole game, I love it

I got one bottle early on too that I use to catch fairies, if there are more bottles in the game that's probably my other two slots

Yea I've completely ignored that new dungeon maker mode after I first discovered it, wasn't my jam, but I suppose I should give it another whirl cause you can get 2 heart containers there IIRC

The Mario Maker 2 2.0 update also brings new Zelda sound effects!

In addition to Ground, Underground and Castle changing to the Overworld, Dungeon and Ganon Dungeon themes, more options are available through the sound effects toolbar:

Ding Dong = Item Get

Peaceful = Fairy Fountain

Bonus Music = 8-Bit Horse Race (no, really)

Boss Music = Mini-Boss Music (flashes Aquamentus on screen)

Final Boss Music = Dark Link (Zelda II, flashes Ganon on screen)

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/e6h53w/icymi_additional_zelda_bgmsfx_is_now_available_in/

Well Nintendo had a 20 minute Indies showcase today.  Sadly, no Hollow Knight Silksong appearance at all :(

Can read about the games here if you don't want to watch

https://www.vitalthrills.com/2019/12/10/all-the-games-announced-in-nintendos-indie-world-video/

I played some Bayonetta 1, it was fun!  Everyone says Bayonetta 2 is way better, I'll play it eventually

I hope we finally get to know what Retro's been working on for the past 5 years

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I hope we finally get to know what Retro's been working on for the past 5 years

That would be great!  I don't dare hope for anything wild, like a BOTW2 tease.

New eShop sale:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/12/top_nintendo_switch_games_are_now_up_to_50_percent_off_to_celebrate_the_game_awards_north_america

Sadly none of the titles I mistakenly didn't buy last week grumble

Maybe I'll pick up Gris and Edith Finch

Nintendo related Game Awards announcements/trailers

No More Heroes 3

Bravely Default II (Not a remake of Bravely Second.. .basically it's the third Bravely game, with a goofy title)

That's it!

Nintendo won Best Fighting Game (Smash), Best Strategy Game (Fire Emblem 16), Best Family Game (Luigi's Mansion 3), and Player's Voice (Fire Emblem 16), and lost Game of the Year (Sekiro beat Smash), Art Direction (Control beat Link's Awakening), Best Action Game (DMC5 beat Astral Chain), and Best Action/Adventure Game (Sekiro beat Link's Awakening)

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-game-awards-2019-live-results-world-premieres-reveals-and-big-surprises/

I don't play JRPGs.  I used to try one every now and then and always rediscovered that they're just not my thing.

The only exceptions are the Mario RPGs, where my love of those characters/worlds/art styles can pull me through.  Otherwise, the anime inspired ones are not for me.

Understandable

I love the gameplay and mechanics of 90s 16bit jrpgs, but not the anime look most modern jrpgs have

So I've been playing my Switch in hand-held mode a bit recently, and my hands have felt cramped for the first time.  Dunno if I'm just getting old or what, but I made me remember that off and on I've heard podcasts talk about various grip add-ons that help with this.

Quick googling is showing me there's a variety of options out there.  So, can any JWFanners recommend any particular grip for the Switch?

UPDATE: These look like the most promising 3 options on Amazon, any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FNJJG5V

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CBJBQHG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9HF14X

• 2 weeks later...

My lazy Christmas break project has been to 100% New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe on Switch.  Let me tell you it has been an absolute pleasure, especially towards the end with the Star Road levels and getting all the star coins in the hardest main game levels.  This is a great Mario game and definitely the best of the four in the “New” series.

It makes me really want a new 2D Mario designed by Nintendo from the ground up as a new game.  Maker is cool but just not the same.

Yea it's probably the best of the four. The Wii one was too geared towards multi-player and the single player experience wasn't optimal. The 3DS one was super fun but very simplistic. The first entry for the DS is a classic and had better music but definitely not as refined as later entries. 

I'd love a proper new 2D Mario brimming with exploration rewards like Odyssey, and I'd love it if it had varying art styles from world to world. So many indie developers are making gorgeous looking 2D games these days and Nintendo needs to remind everyone how well they can do it too

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh sorry, that was following up on my post from yesterday.  I decided to start and 100% a file in NSMBU for Switch over Christmas break.

My bad, I never played any of the NSMB games, so I got confused by the world map. (I really shouldn't have, since pretty much all of the 2D Mario's have that world map)

I’m not quite on board with his ranking it #1, but I appreciate the chutzpah of Jeremy Parish, one of the best games writers out there, ranking it the best Mario game a couple years ago.

His reasoning echoes much of what I think of the game.

Of all its myriad sequels, New Super Mario Bros. U does the best job of wrapping everything great about Mario (both new and old) into a single package.

NSMBU ended up being unfairly overlooked by many fans due to the double-whammy of its appearing on the company's least successful console ever and arriving just a few months after the poorly received New Super Mario Bros. 2. It's truly a case of terrible timing if there was one; NSMBU is as broad-ranging as NSMB2 was monomaniacal in its fixation on cash. Mario's first Wii U outing does a little of everything, and it does it brilliantly. The four-player co-op of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the creative level ideas and settings of Super Mario Bros. 3, the secret-packed level designs of Super Mario World, the Game Pad-enabled novice-friendly asymmetric multiplayer of Super Mario Galaxy ... NSMBU had it all. And it introduced new stage themes along with other interesting new elements, like online social sharing through Miiverse (R.I.P.) — a feature that paved the way for Super Mario Maker. And to top it off, these days Nintendo sells the game bundled with its New Super Luigi U expansion, an ultra-challenging play mode that gives you 100 seconds to complete each stage.

Just as Mario himself is rarely the most exciting character in spin-offs like Super Mario Kart, NSMBU isn't the flashiest game in the franchise. Instead, it's a reliable all ’rounder, tirelessly doing everything well. 

https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/11/8/16621744/the-best-mario-games

I started a new odyssey to 100% New Super Luigi U this morning!

It's a fun change of pace (literally, heh).  I like how they designed the levels around the 100 second time limit.  It makes it almost a speed run puzzle of how to get all three star coins and get to the flag pole in the allotted time.

I recently found time to play video games again and finished up the Link's Awakening Remake!

When I left off I had beat the last dungeon and was wandering around the overworld map hunting for more shells before going into the egg to beat the game.  When I finally resumed playing the other night, I briefly considered seashell hunting some more, before changing my mind and just going into the egg.  The final boss was harder than I remembered, though I didn't remember anything specific about him at all so maybe some of it was changed for this version, I dunno.

But WOW, was a satisfying ending this game has!  Not just the relief when you finally beat the last form, but the whole ending cutscene is marvelous.

I doubt I'll go back in and 100% this, just because my backlog is too massive.  But I enjoyed this game immensely.

I do stand by my original impression, though, that this should have been a $40 game, not a $60 one.

I also forgot to mention here that a few weeks ago, I was randomly in a Best Buy and got to tryout a Switch Lite.  Wow, what a REALLY NICE piece of hardware.  It just FEELS solid in the hands, more solid than the OG Switch.  It's a very nice hardware design.

The game I played on it was a demo of New Super Lucky's Tale, which was a pretty cool game!  A very Mario 64 inspired 3D platformer.  Full of bright colors, fun characters, collectibles, environmental elements to interact with, etc.  Definitely a game I'll pick up on sale and add to my backlog, it looks like a winner.

I played the Wii one - it was fun enough, but I wouldn't play another one.  Fighting games have never been my thing, though - we spent most of our time on that one playing through the middling cooperative platformer levels.

I love me my Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid, and Donkey Kong games, but the Smash, Animal Crossing, Mario Party, Mario Sports, and Fire Emblem games have all just never interested me as far as major Nintendo franchises go.  Maybe someday when I have a smaller backlog

I really enjoyed the Smash Ultimate single player, and my daughter loves to play around with the characters in training mode almost like they're virtual dolls.

I will definitely be buying Animal Crossing in March.  I loved and played the heck out of the original on Gamecube, haven't played one since, and now with a 5-and-a-half year old seems like the perfect time to jump back in.

What game should I start next?

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

or

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

or

Luigi’s Mansion 3

????

On 1/19/2020 at 7:35 PM, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Finished the story of Mario Odyssey, now for the after game!

Wha'd you think?

Luigi's Mansion 3 is pretty short, overall, if that's what you're looking for, Jay, but mediocre in the end.