The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

So they are still breaking the 4th wall with the paper thing then, I know that will probably bother some die hards, hope it's great regardless!

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Just please please please please let the turn-based moves *not* be consumable items like the stickers in Sticker Star or the cards in Color Splash

Well...

Official site:

https://papermario.nintendo.com/

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well...

Official site:

https://papermario.nintendo.com/

I wish I could read Japanese.  It's not immediately visually clear to me that the attack selected is a one-time-use consumable like it is when a card/sticker is selected in the previous two games.  I swear if they lean into that mechanic for a *third* time.....

I don't mind if there's some new gimmick for attacks like that ring thing, as long as I can't literally run out of attacks to use and therefore can't finish the freaking battle, which happened to me many times in the other two.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I wish I could read Japanese.  It's not immediately visually clear to me that the attack selected is a one-time-use consumable like it is when a card/sticker is selected in the previous two games.  I swear if they lean into that mechanic for a *third* time.....

I don't mind if there's some new gimmick for attacks like that ring thing, as long as I can't literally run out of attacks to use and therefore can't finish the freaking battle, which happened to me many times in the other two.

Yeah it was annoying hoping I could buy the right card.

I don't know how they convinced themselves it was an interesting or fun twist on turn-based battles.  It sounded sucky when we first heard about it, and it sucked in practice.

On 5/14/2020 at 7:40 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

New Paper Mario

On 5/14/2020 at 7:41 AM, Jay said:

What about it?

On 5/14/2020 at 7:54 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

Video game

I'm a simple man. I see Mario game and I play it.

The off-brand games are just cheap.

So last Saturday the 16th, I decided to return to Paper Mario: Color Splash ahead of Origami King.  Picking up where I left off on my old save, I beat the game today!  

First thing, it was surprisingly pleasant and nostalgic to return to the Wii U.  That Gamepad is still so comfortable to hold and use, really nice hardware even if the setup is somewhat over complicated.

As for the game, what’s frustrating is that I think it’s a really awesome game outside of the annoying battle system.  The presentation and writing are just top-notch.  The visual presentation is overflowing with charm and humor.  The character designs and animation especially are the game’s best feature.  I had a really great time going through the rest of the game with my almost-6-yo daughter.  It’s hard to recommend but I’m pretty happy that I saw it through to the end.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Salt/pepper thing, grill thing, lemon thing

Yeah, I read that online, the problem for me is the timing to get the right action commands.

I’m considering ordering a Switch but I don’t know. I’d probably want the Crash Bandicoot games, probably Spyro, and shur I probably have to buy Skyrim at this stage. 

what are the new Pokemon games like? I haven’t played once since Ruby. 

Will hopefully have it in the next 24-48 hours. 

I actually ordered Crash Nitro Cart as well. 

Shur look. If I don’t enjoy it I’ll just blame @Disco Stu

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Crash Nitro Cart instead of Mario Kart?  You can't blame me for nothin' makin' choices like that.

I am already aware of the superiority of Crash. 

I’m blaming you if I don’t enjoy the switch as a whole. 

Breath of the Wild is something I’m also tempted by but I’ve never played a Legend of Zelda game before. 

Ah shur, I’ve got three games to keep me going for the time being I guess!

Just now, Bilbo said:

I am already aware of the superiority of Crash. 

This is like someone who says Mac and Me is superior to ET The Extra-Terrestrial.

There's lots of games of every genre on the Switch, and it's super fun to play in a variety of different ways.  Enjoy!

A fun game that often goes on sale in the eShop you might enjoy is Steamworld Dig 2, a great little 12 hour metroidvania with more focus on exploration than combat

Another Xenoblade Chronicles graphics comparison

It'd be great if they give the same treatment to other Wii polygonal games like Skyward Sword, Prime Trilogy, Other M, Galaxy 1 & 2, and The Last Story

Doesn’t look like it’s going to ship in time to get it tomorrow but it’s a long weekend and I have Friday off so loads of time to eventually enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

We joke, but you are 100% depriving yourself not getting Mario Kart 8 IMO.  It's a great game, the best Mario Kart for sure.

33 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

@Bilbo

Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are must haves.  The epitome of adventure on the Switch.

Funds permitting I will definitely try these out. 

I saw some footage of Odyssey and it looked like a hell of a lot of fun!

I did get a shipping confirmation earlier so I *should* receive this tomorrow. All excited now :D:D

Imagine getting Pokemon Sword and Shield over Breath Of The Wild. 

Pokemon S&S is the most disappointing thing since Phantom Menace. 

It fascinates me that Mario Kart 8 is by far the top selling game for Switch, just because it already existed with slightly fewer bells and whistles on the Wii U.

Well I was 1/5!  Still don't have a Switch - although the next Zelda will change that, assuming they haven't moved to another console by then.  Almost got burned on the Wii-U, but thankfully they were gracious enough to release BOTW on both consoles.

4 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

About 5 people bought the Wii U though. 

Just now, mstrox said:

Well I was 1/5!

By complete coincidence, all 5 are on this forum!  The true believers!

It’s crazy how Nintendo turned it around though. I think they sold more switches than Xbox ones in the end. 

Enjoying Pokémon Sword for the most part. Hop is the most annoying character in the history of annoying characters and the Dynamax thing is a bit of a silly gimmick. Could have done without it but I suppose they have to do something to sell us the same game 25 years later... I’m not even too bothered that all the Pokémon aren’t included. 

I just ordered Mario Odyssey and Tetris 99. Tetris 99 comes with a year’s subscription to Switch Online. Am I right in saying I can play all those old 1st party NES and SNES titles for free once that’s activated? 

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

I just ordered Mario Odyssey and Tetris 99. Tetris 99 comes with a year’s subscription to Switch Online. Am I right in saying I can play all those old 1st party NES and SNES titles for free once that’s activated? 

Yes

The Nintendo theme park in Japan looks just incredible from above.  This is what might finally get me to take my family to Orlando, when it opens there.

image.png

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes

Awesome! Can they be played offline?

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Even above adding new titles to the NES/SNES apps, I'd love to see them add apps for the handheld platforms (GB, GBC, GBA).

I’d love to get to replay some of the old Pokemon games

8 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I think if you keep the app open then yes.

I was able to play Super Metroid away without WiFi anyway

13 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Yes, as long as you've opened the NES or SNES app while online sometime in the past 7 days for it to check that you're a subscriber.  I think if it's been more than a week you can't open them.