The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

I thought it checked every time you launched the app.  Once the check is done it doesn't bother to continually check as you're playing of course

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I thought it checked every time you launched the app.  Once the check is done it doesn't bother to continually check as you're playing of course

It does check every time you open if you're on WiFi, but if you're not on WiFi it just has to have been opened while on WiFi in the past 7 days.

Gotcha, makes sense.

So if you're gonna go on a plane ride, quickly launch each app before leaving the house basically.

Thanks guys! 

It was for plane and car journeys I was curious so that all sound manageable. 

Things have moved on since the days of my gameboy pocket 😂

Another one converted!

I beat Murder by Numbers a couple weeks ago, and was able to tear myself from Panel de Pon a couple days ago to pick up the classic Flashback for sale on the eShop ($1 USD). Cryptic, somewhat awkward controls...it's a classic adventure all right!

Luigi’s Mansion 3 looks like a lot of fun but I might leave that until Halloween

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Another one converted!

I would never have bought a console I don’t think... but console games in a handheld format? Gimmie. 

The Switch will most likely not be able to run native PS5 and Xbox Series X games from the AAA developers.

It will continue to thrive with Nintendo’s first party and indies. 

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

So with the PS5 coming out you you guys are gonna get even worse downgrades of the latest games?

You wanted this thread so you could separate yourself from this conversation, or so I thought!

As a direct answer to your question, not all of us are binary minded when it comes to this stuff. There's no chip in my Switch that will sense if I purchase a PlayStation and blow it up.

10 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

You wanted this thread so you could separate yourself from this conversation, or so I thought!

As a direct answer to your question, not all of us are binary minded when it comes to this stuff. There's no chip in my Switch that will sense if I purchase a PlayStation and blow it up.

I will buy a PlayStation 5 whenever they release a slim model. Haven’t bought a launch model since PS2

well the PS4 Pro turned out to be bigger the the launch PS4 and made the PS4 slim useless

but I'm not buying  a launch PS5 .Waiting for the SKU revision that's cooler, quieter and doesn't crash

You're so rude to others who come to this place to share our love of our mutual interests.  Don't understand why you can't be nicer to people, what you gain from being this way

Neither did Nintendo ever need adaptions of other consoles' games, nor is its consumer base clamoring for them. 

Whenever a new console is announced, people's minds immediately go to "What Zelda will we get? What Mario will we get? What Pokemon will we get?" and not "oh please give us PS4 game X!" 

Nintendo has monstrously successful franchises that can reinvent themselves creatively countless times over. 

I’m of the opinion that the more people play video games, the better.  It’s a big market with room for everyone.  If you value knowing you’re playing on best possible hardware, those options exist for you.  If the Nintendo ethos appeals to you, the Switch exists for you. If you just wanna play Fortnite on your phone, you can do that.  It’s just a leisure activity!  Nothing, and I mean nothing, about the RPGs that KM plays appeals to me in any possible way, but you don’t see me popping up in the thread just to say “why do you enjoy this boring garbage?”  You do you, man.

I agree with Disco Stu. 

It's wonderful that we can all look for different things in the wonderful hobby that is video gaming.  I don't really understand looking down on someone for having different preferences than you do, and understand even less what you think posting as such accomplishes. 

On 5/29/2020 at 4:43 PM, Jay said:

You're so rude to others who come to this place to share our love of our mutual interests.  Don't understand why you can't be nicer to people, what you gain from being this way

I think your taking it way out of proportion. I expect you guys to only be slightly irritated that I mock the switch for being underpowered  and not flat out pissed off and thinking I'm mean .

Most  of my games aren't really any better. Most JRPG's haven' t got past the PS3 era yet graphics wise and I played 2 PS2 games in a row now

So you purposely chose to make a post that you know would irritate people.  Thank you for confirming.

Sort of the "console war fanboy thing" like all the comment threads on all the gaming sites

All my post in the gaming threads  about the Switch were meant to be sarcastic. I'm not sure why you feel personally attacked by what I think of a piece of hardware.

It's not the first time you react this way, but I sort of forget you feel that personal about it from time to time , so sorry

On 5/30/2020 at 12:26 PM, Disco Stu said:

Nothing, and I mean nothing, about the RPGs that KM plays appeals to me in any possible way, but you don’t see me popping up in the thread just to say “why do you enjoy this boring garbage?”  You do you, man.

Some of it is a very niche videogame market and most people would indeed  find it boring garbage. I don't even recommend most of the games I play to my friends

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

All my post in the gaming threads  about the Switch were meant to be sarcastic. 

You might have intended it to be sarcastasic, but I don't think anybody here ever interpreted them that way, as you've surely seen by the reactions to your posts of this manner over the years?

Sarcasm can be difficult to interpret when it is just written text on a screen and you can't hear the intonation of the voice.

Anyone, glad to hear you don't mean any ill-will.  Cheers!

I wasn't . This was just playful barbing on my part. Like when we mocked the Hornershriners in relation to JW. Still love Horner.

My true source of irritation for Nintendo started when I was forced to play a masterpiece like Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii  that literally made it unplayable and they didn't make the Switch as powerful as I'd like when I really eager to buy one when they announced it.  Then I started bugging you guys. But I've never actually used a Switch so I don't really know. I played Nintendo back in the N64 days and then it was the most advanced console

I'll change targets to the casual fake gamers that play  FIFA, Call of Duty and Fortnite ;)

And I'm very careful in every other thread not to hurt anyone's feelings or do personal attacks

43 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Started playing Super Mario Odyssey last night. So much fun. 

It's incredible.

My one tip: learn the cappy jump.  It seems like a 'super pro' move, but it's really not.  It's just like a beefed up long jump, because once you bounce off the hat, you can do another jump/dive to go even further (can only jump on hat once though) Once you get it down, it's an incredibly helpful trick.  Makes the game feel even more freestyle to get moons your own way.

good video on it (super short video)

Jay and Mstrox in the SD card thread remained me of something. The lack of Bluetooth headphone support is the only negative thing I would have to say about the the Switch Lite. Other than that I think it’s a stellar device and one I am glad I purchased. 

I have a 128gb SD card in UT by the way 😜

923A6680-5EF9-453E-815F-FD010E7C935F.jpeg

Weirdly, I've never plugged a pair of headphones into any Nintendo handheld, ever.  Over the hundreds, thousands of hours I've put into GBC, DS, 3DS, Switch, I've never once played with headphones.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Weirdly, I've never plugged a pair of headphones into any Nintendo handheld, ever.  Over the hundreds, thousands of hours I've put into GBC, DS, 3DS, Switch, I've never once played with headphones.

If I go back to using public transport I would have to use headphones.

I should stress that this is the smallest of nitpicks for me. I’ll just throw a pair of wired headphones in the case and it’ll be grand. It’s more of a “nice to have” than an essential. 

Yeah the only period in my life when I was regularly using public transport, it wasn't conducive to playing video games.  There's nothing quite as dispiriting as being packed into an Orange Line train on the DC Metro like sardines at 7:30am on a weekday.  I'd have probably brought my DS or 3DS along back then if the trains weren't always standing room only.

Yea I keep a pair of earbuds in my Switch case.  I almost always play Switch with headphones on, often cause I'm playing while my wife is sleeping.  Sometimes even when I'm playing on the TV, I have headphones plugged into my AV receiver.  You can really get immersed in a game with all the lights off and headphones on!

Tetris 99 arrived. A physical copy of the game and a year’s sub to switch online for less than the cost of actual membership! Good deal.