The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

I know several podcasters I listen to have been craving a new one of those forever.  Happy for them

I've still never played a pokemon game and probably never will

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I probably rented the original on N64 enough times to have just bought it.  It was a weirdly addictive game.

Yes!  Remember you could go to Blockbuster and print out your Pokemon photos!

I played the hell out of Pokemon Snap. If this has an in-depth photo mode like most contemporary AAA games, it’d be a cool concept to revisit. That trailer makes it look barely any different than the original though, with poor graphics to boot. 

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

If this has an in-depth photo mode like most contemporary AAA games

this is something I just don’t get. I think I used photo mode once, decided it was lame and left it at that but it’s a gimmick that seems to be sticking around. I just don’t get the appeal.

I saw someone once in twitter referring to themself as an “ephotographer” or some such bullshit. 

1 minute ago, Bilbo said:

this is something I just don’t get. I think I used photo mode once, decided it was lame and left it at that but it’s a gimmick that seems to be sticking around. I just don’t get the appeal.

I saw someone once in twitter referring to themself as an “ephotographer” or some such bullshit. 

What’s not to get? It’s there for people who want to use it, and 100% avoidable for those that don’t. PlayStation has a weekly photo mode contest on Instagram that produces some awesome shots from gamers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'll be playing through Donkey Kong Country for the first time since I was a kid

It does seem like they are leaving a lot of money on the table by not doing that, yea

When our hero last actually posted about the games he was playing, he was in the middle of:

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

I sort of fell off that shortly into World 3 (the spooky world), because there were some new bad guys that my old strats weren't working on and I just kinda lost interest.  However, after playing some other stuff on the Switch (more on that in a bit), I came back in and eventually finished World 3 and had a great time with it.  After finishing it and gettingng the new exploration power, I went back through World 1 and World 2 and World 3 looking for all the secrets I could find, and ended up find a ton of stuff, hidden levels, more weapons, etc.  Everything was awesome, and I was set to go into World 4 and finish the game.

But then, I never did.  I ended up playing and finishing another entire game (more on that in a bit) and still haven't quite felt the urge to go in and finish this one off... I think I'm going to play Inside, Captain Toad, or Dragon Quest 11 next instead.

Does that ever happen to anyone else?  Meaning, you start a game, like it a lot, have no real complaints about it, get most of the way through it, but then... just don't finish it?

I actually never finished that either.  Only got through 3 of the 4 gaurdians before Odyssey came out, and then by the time that was done I was onto Celeste and Hollow Knight and whatever else and now I have a HUGE backlog and I dunno when I'll actually finish BOTW....

But holy hell, did I absolutely love every minute of the 80 hours I spent in there...

Beating it actually killed it for me to some extent - like I had a ton more exploring/finding I could do, but once I stopped Giant Monster Ganon, a switch flipped in my brain that was like, "Well, what's the point?"

So during that mini break from Mario + Rabbids, I ended up playing.... a bunch of DEMOS!  Some demos that had recently come out, and some old demos I downloaded but had never played yet.

I played the demos for:

Blasphemous - Nintendo Switch gameplay - YouTube

Blasphemous

Heard a lot about this one on various podcasts; Definitely was intrigued by the retro styling and the fact that it's a tough metroidvania.  Well, the demo did not impress me, unfortunately.  I thought it was TOO hard, mostly because every time you died it sent you too far backwards and you had to re-do too much of the same identical platforming and combat to try again at the part you failed.  This was a bummer coming off Celeste, where you respawn quickly not far from where you died, or Hollow Knight where there is less focus on combat during exploration so it's not a pain to get back to where you were.  The controls also weren't that great, a bit to stiff, especially compared to the glorious fluidity of Hollow Knight.  I may still give this a second chance one day, but only if my backlog is WAY shrunk, as it already has a half dozen metroidvanias on it.

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair review: Not impossible, but ...

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Now THIS was more like it!  I never played the first game, but wasn't that interested in it since I never played Banjo Kazooie back in the day, and most 3D platformers seem to always be not that great anyway if they aren't Mario.  But I heard great things on podcasts about this sequel, and was intrigued that it was a side-scrolling platformer rather than a 3D platformer.  Well, I have to say based on the demo, it is indeed pretty great!  Fun, bright colorful art style, good controls, good exploration, decent combat.  An overworld map to explore with funny NPCs to talk to.  I enjoyed this a lot, and will pick up the full game on sale some day.

The definitive 'Ori and the Blind Forest' hits PC next week | Engadget

Ori and the Blind Forest

HOLY SHIT THIS WAS INCREDIBLE.  I have been wanting to check out this game for a very long time, since I first heard about it when it was an xbox exclusive.  I was very happy to hear about the Switch port ,and was probably going to pick it up even without a demo once it went on sale.  Well I was happy they gave it a demo anyway, and I am glad I played it because this game is RIGHT UP MY ALLEY.  The art style was amazing, the controls were great, the story seems really cool, and exploration was fun, the combat was fun, the music was great.  I can't think of anything about this that wasn't pushing all my buttons.  I turned the demo off long before I reached the end of it (I assume) because I wanted to save the experience for the full game and not have to replay it all again.  It actually recently went on sale so i finally picked it up, and it's near the top of my to-play list.

Moving Out fun but frustrating, Games & Apps News & Top Stories ...\

Moving Out

I didn't like this at all.  I heard so many positive comments on podcasts, but I dunno, maybe it's just not for me.  I didn't feel like I was playing a game, I felt like I was doing chores.  Maybe it's more fun co-op than single player, or maybe the later levels are more fun than the first ones, but this demo completely turned me off from wanting to play any more of this game.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Beating it actually killed it for me to some extent - like I had a ton more exploring/finding I could do, but once I stopped Giant Monster Ganon, a switch flipped in my brain that was like, "Well, what's the point?"

Beating the story is typically the point of no return in open world games for me. I always try to do all the side stuff and miscellaneous activities before I go through and actually beat it, because that finality usually kills any momentum or determination I had in completing menial quests.  Very rarely do I dive back in. 

Sitting back and watching the credits roll after playing a long game can be SO rewarding, it can been odd to go back in and do anything else in the game....

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Beating the story is typically the point of no return in open world games for me. I always try to do all the side stuff and miscellaneous activities before I go through and actually beat it, because that finality usually kills any momentum or determination I had in completing menial quests.  Very rarely do I dive back in. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Sitting back and watching the credits roll after playing a long game can be SO rewarding, it can been odd to go back in and do anything else in the game....

Agreed. As I get older, it's also harder for me to enjoy the feeling of dicking around and doing quests when the urgency of the plot kicks in.

I used to like trying to 100% games I loved, but that was back in the days of getting *96 gates in Super Mario World, getting all the heart containers in a Zelda game, or maybe doing some optional stuff to get the "good" ending in a JRPG like Chrono Trigger

A lot of modern games seem to love stuff in optional stuff, even with systems built in to keep track of them all, etc.  It's great the option is there for those who love it and have time to dedicate to them, but I have so little time for video gaming as it is I'd rather move on to another game on the backlog after rolling credits to spend more time in one I already beat with little reward.

A completely logical mindset. My OCD towards trophies and completion probably keeps me playings games for much longer than necessary. Though some games, like AC Odyssey, take tedious to a whole new level. I gave up on that one a few hours in because the bloat was so excessive. It was required to progress the story, an intentional design decision to boost micro transaction sales. There are literally XP boosts for sale for real world money, because your character needs to be a certain level in order to progress the story.

8 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Do you know if they charge when you pre-order or when they ship?

I don't believe you can pre-order on Limited Run. (I could be wrong though)

It goes live and you just have to be early.  Similar to buying tickets to shows/events.

39 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I don't believe you can pre-order on Limited Run. (I could be wrong though)

It goes live and you just have to be early.  Similar to buying tickets to shows/events.

Star Wars Episode I: Racer on physical cartridge for the Nintendo Switch. Region free. This is an open pre-order for a limited time. Includes full-color interior art and a booklet.

PREORDERS CLOSE ON SUNDAY, AUGUST 9TH AT 11:59PM EASTERN TIME  

PLEASE NOTE: There is no purchase limit on this item.

19 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Star Wars Episode I: Racer on physical cartridge for the Nintendo Switch. Region free. This is an open pre-order for a limited time. Includes full-color interior art and a booklet.

PREORDERS CLOSE ON SUNDAY, AUGUST 9TH AT 11:59PM EASTERN TIME  

PLEASE NOTE: There is no purchase limit on this item.

oh nice!

Anybody here familiar with the Mr Driller franchise? 

I had never heard of it till recently, but this remake of the GameCube entry coming Switch looks pretty fun

So there's a Treehouse Live starting in 2 1/2 hours that will mostly cover Origami King, but it will also show off a so far unannounced WayForward game based on a third party IP.  What could it be?

I've had no time to research the veracity of these claims, but multiple posts on reddit are saying there's gonna be a Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 10AM EST.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Well how about that, the rumors were completely right for a change

Cadence of Hyule actually looks kinda cool, and it's neat it's getting all that new DLC.  Maybe I'll pick up that version with it all included at some point when I have a much smaller Switch backlog

Rogue Company looks pretty neat for those whole like multiplayer online FPSes.  Not for me

Wow this WWE wrestling game looks terrible, the character models are really goofy looking

Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne remastered seems cool.  That's a franchise I've never played but have been curious about.  Unfortunately I have a backlog of about two dozen RPGs I want to play so there's no chance I'll be picking this or SMT5 up

Oh wow, the Japanese version of the direct talks about 14 games instead of just the 4 we got

Wow, I really can't fathom why they didn't showcase Sakuna in the English Direct, since it's coming here Nov 10th.  Look at this gorgeous artwork!

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/sakuna-of-rice-and-ruin-switch/

Switch_Sakuna_01.jpg

Switch_Sakuna_02.jpg

Switch_Sakuna_03.jpg