The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

• 1 month later...

There is a Zelda topic ? So cool !!! I was never a Nintendo-fanatic so I missed this saga in my younger years. But when I got the Gamecube way back when I got a bit addicted to Link and his adventures.

I only played Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on that console, hard to pick a favourite as each one is bloody brilliant. The dungeons in each one are absolute marvels of design, puzzling, and combat and for me THE reason any gamer should try them out. And the music is delightful, shows that tunes don't need to be performed by 100 piece orchestra's to be impressive. They work very well in the context of the game world and situations.

Zelda CGI trailer from 2007, shows what studio created to pitch a Zelda movie to Nintendo. Looks like a lot of fun, like i mentioned in another thread, I would love a CGI "pixar perfect" Zelda movie!

That looks absolutely weak.

And I don't mean the CGI.

• 1 month later...

Playing Twilight Princess again, but with the sound off and LOTR music playing- so I can "appreciate the visual staging aspect" so to speak ;)

Playing Twilight Princess again, but with the sound off and LOTR music playing- so I can "appreciate the visual staging aspect" so to speak ;)

Can't you at least turn only the music off, that way you keep the cutesy sound effects and dialogue. Which should be utterly hilarious combined with LOTR. :biglaugh:

GREAT game that one. A reason why I'll never part with my GC (don't have the WII and don't need it).

Can't you at least turn only the music off, that way you keep the cutesy sound effects and dialogue. Which should be utterly hilarious combined with LOTR.

It actually turned out the opposite, with the action music playing during the peaceful moments, and the Rivendell/Hobbit/Peaceful stuff for the action/"dark" stuff.

And I would turn off the music and keep the dialogue if it were possible.

I was playing the Wii version BTW ;)

• 1 month later...

Whoot! (though an HD console remake with a live orchestral score (with synth for the non-orchestral stuff, and live instruments for the more ensemble (guitars, harmonica's etc.) stuff) would be even better!)

I think this solidifies that there won't be a future remake of the Nintendo 64 era games for a long while, since they are now both going to be on the 3DS platform.

And with Windwaker from the Gamecube era already being remade in HD for the Wii U, I guess next up would be Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword.

I don't expect the first three games, or any of the games that debuted on handhelds, will ever get remade.

(because he wanted to keep the MIDI sound for nostalgia's sake, or some bullshit like that)

he said it was because he did a lot of tricks to get it to sound the way it did.

because the end credits cue he did record with an orchestra was bloody awesome.

You mean Mahito Yokota.

It's a shame that Kondo didn't want to record cues with an orchestra for the Ocarina Of Time remake (because he wanted to keep the MIDI sound for nostalgia's sake, or some bullshit like that), because the end credits cue he did record with an orchestra was bloody awesome.

It's the problem with most older videogame music. I can never fully appreciate the Final Fantasy music because there's no orchestral recordings of the actual scores

There are some videogame soundtracks that I still love to pieces, even though they were too obscure to justify orchestral recordings. Solar Winds is a prime example, but that's because I played the game so much the music ingrained itself in me.

The way I see it, the MIDI synthesizers of the various computer systems implemented over the decades can be considered as their own instruments. Are the notes there, is there an interesting or stimulating melody, does the piece trigger something in you emotionally? That's what I consider more important than whether real human beings blew air through pipes to create the sound, or a human being sat down at a keyboard and told the computer what tones to produce. Yes, it's very, very difficult to tell a computer to sustain or shorten specific notes in order to create a "musical" flow that doesn't conform to the strict tempo of a metronome, or manipulate the dynamics levels to get the audience's attention. You'll have that.

No, at least in TIE fighter, the DOS version is missing the second expansion, enemies of the Empire (Thrawn kiicks zaarin's butt) because it was a bonus from the part of the collector's edition. So you couldnt fly the missile boat in 1994 graphics.

I still don't understand. It seems you're saying that the second expansion was never released for the original DOS version? Then how is it missing here?

I'm pretty sure I've played the gunboat in the DOS version though.

to me a MIDI is not a real instrument

Of course not. It's a protocol, not an instrument. Many instruments use it though.

• 1 month later...

I was hoping to get a Wii U for Christmas but I didn't. Now the question is do I buy one for myself?

Sadly the version that comes bundled with New Super Mario Bros. Wii U & New Super Luigi Bros. Wii U + Bonus content has skyrocketed from $300 to $400 on Amazon....

Amazon doesn't sell Wii U's so those prices are probably from third party sellers. Best to look elsewhere, the console is cheap.

@Mr Big

Yeah the hack is really annoying. I don't understand what these people get out of bringing down a gaming network on Christmas. It's like Watch Dogs in real life, all these hacker groups fighting each other lol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

uuh the Wii remote +numchuk just sucks

I went and bought myself a classic controller...now my game works like other consoles .The graphics on Xenoblade are actually better than a few PS3 titles I've played

On the Wii I plan to play Xenoblade Chronicles, Monster Hunter 3 , The Last Story and Pandora's Tower

This should hold me for the lack of RPG's on the PS4 right now

uuh the Wii remote +numchuk just sucks

I went and bought myself a classic controller...now my game works like other consoles .The graphics on Xenoblade are actually better than a few PS3 titles I've played

On the Wii I plan to play Xenoblade Chronicles, Monster Hunter 3 , The Last Story and Pandora's Tower

This should hold me for the lack of RPG's on the PS4 right now

You bought a Wii for 4 games?

Bloodborne and The Witcher 3, man!

The Wii sadly didn't aim for HD resolutions when it shipped 9 years ago; its biggest downside. Nintendo has never really considered visual fidelity to be much of a priority. Still, 480p on a smaller screen can look nice in certain titles where the artwork is strong.

Isn't Skyward Sword supposed to be a crap Zelda game? I don't know I've never played it (don't have the Wii) but I haven't heard much good about it.

I'd want to check it out as I love Zelda on gamecube.

Isn't Skyward Sword supposed to be a crap Zelda game?

Lol wut?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword/critic-reviews

It is the most formally inventive Zelda in a long time. But it's the game's carefree attitude, quick tempo and warm heart that do the most to make it feel new...Skyward Sword will surely be the greatest adventure money can buy. -- Eurogamer

Damn, now I want to try it out. :yes:

So if I buy a Wii and a classic controller will I be able to play Skyward Sword the old-school way?

And is it backwards compatible with all the GC games I still have?

All the "main" Zelda games are great

Still waiting for you to play Link's Awakening. ;)

I actually started that the other month! I have the DX cartridge, and played it on my tv through my Gamecube Gameboy Player, in color, and with the Gamecube controller. It was great, but I haven't had time to resume. I might start over again this weekend.