The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

So.... there's been a leak of 2 terebytes of data from various Nintendo games from the 90s.  Huge titles for the SNES and N64 like Mario 64, Yoshi's Island, Ocarina or time, etc etc.

Tons of awesome stuff is constantly coming out.  The actual source code for a bunch of old games, and tons of assets.  Often these were really early versions of the games, featuring a ton of cool stuff cut from their final versions.

For example, Luigi was originally going to be in Mario 64 and they found the assets:

Tons of other stuff found including dropped levels: https://www.reddit.com/r/sm64leak/comments/hygt5c/what_has_currently_been_found_in_the_sm64_leak/

Dropped giant castle town from Ocarina of Time: https://twitter.com/MrTalida/status/1287402861668773895?s=20

Uncompressed Starfox 64 audio clips: https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/hxtzxl/another_leak_this_includes_sm64_oot_and_mm_among/fz8tmbk/

Tons of amazing SNES stuff here: https://imgur.com/a/tXaabLY

How about those early Link to The Past sprites? That amazing Yoshi's Island overworld?  Mario World Mario with white eyes and a diving helmet?

Or this from a potential SNES remake of Zelda 2? p7gQWOr.gif

So much cool stuff just keeps coming and coming!

https://twitter.com/nb_zeraora/status/1286700597778022401

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle's Creative Director on How It Was ...

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Yep, that's right!  Some time recently, I had some free time to play video games, and my wife was using the TV, which meant the PS4 was out, as was a new Switch game that I wanted to play, or at least start, on the big screen... so I grabbed the Switch, went outside to the hammock, thinking I'd find something to fool around with for a bit.. and for whatever reason (maybe writing about how I abandoned it not long before this).... I just started this up again and... had a great time with it!

I went into World 4 and found myself kinda breezing through it.  I don't know if this is because I spent a bunch of time re-exploring the first 3 worlds to find orbs or they just made 4 easier than 3, but I beat it after not too many sessions of play.  Then I went back after rolling credits and found World 4's secret world, and then kept going and found every single collectible box in the entire game!  The only thing I haven't done now is the Challenges (I did 5 out of the 44 in the game), and I don't want to.  I'm happily done with this game and moving on.

Overall?  A very cool game worth playing for sure (especially since it routinely sells for $15-$25).  The combat is fun and very easy to get a handle on all aspects of, the exploring through the worlds is fun, and the humor and comedy throughout is great.  The Rabbids weren't as annoying as I feared, and Beepo is pretty funny.

The biggest cons are the enemy variety (there's only a handful of different types, then they just re-skin them for each world - super dissapointing) and the music.  The music is not bad per se, it's fine, but there isn't enough of it so it gets very very repetitive as you keep going to new areas but keep hearing the same old tunes.

I hope they make a sequel with lots more enemies, a completely different story, and more variety in weapons and playable characters.

Total playtime: 45 hours

I have been playing through the original 3 Final Fantasy games as they were released in America. I wanted a nostalgia kick and I had always wanted to play them when I was growing up but never had enough access to a SNES to do it. I even remember the commercial for (VI)III.

Final Fantasy II was so easy that it was a slog, despite the great story. The original Final Fantasy is fun despite its age, and beating it is an accomplishment I am proud of. I will definitely check out the harder Japanese version of II at some point, but I am a purist. I need to play what I would have had access to in the early 90s for the nostalgia to work properly. I even insist on using the original controllers for the systems they were designed on. I want all the limitations of its time.

III is epic to say the least. You can see the seeds of all the others in it. Remarkably accomplished for its time. The scores to these games are *chef's kiss.

Same story here; I grew up with FF 1-3 (really 1,4,6) but for whatever reason never actually played Chrono Trigger back in the day

I finally played it 5-10 years ago via the DS port and was blown away by how amazing of a game it is, it lives up to all the hype, it's a gaming masterpiece

It also caused me to fall in love with the score by Yasunori Mitsuda, it's one of the great video game scores of all time and I've been checking out all his other scores ever since

2 hours ago, Jay said:

It also caused me to fall in love with the score by Yasunori Mitsuda, it's one of the great video game scores of all time and I've been checking out all his other scores ever since

I can't wait! That was a main reason why I chose Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger was the music. I have always known Final Fantasy was quality, but I came in at VII so I had some catching up to do. The main titles of III had me captivated and all I did was watch the characters slowly march through the snow.

I cannot wait for Chrono Trigger. Some people think it may be the best videogame score of all time. I have purposefully avoided the music until I play it, then I will listen to every orchestral rendition I can find!

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

The music is absolutely fine as it is.  You don't know orchestra renditions

I have no problem with electronic music. I always obtain and listen to the soundtrack first. Regardless of how many discs, or how many tracks fade out after a while.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I have been playing some more Origami King, beat a rubber band boss, and am exploring a desert with some sort of towers.

BTW it's kinda weird having a Paper Mario with some battles that are not turn based

I really liked Origami King. I only ever played Thousand Year Door which was great, but that was a long time ago. I remember that game having a lot of personality, but was bogged down by soooo muuuchhh dialogggueee. Origami felt a little better in that respect.

The puzzle-based combat is very cool, though it gets a bit frustrating later in the game. By that stage, half the time it’s ridiculously easy and the other half completely impossible to figure out in the time given (even with extra time upgrades). I’d have like to see different grid combinations beyond the boots and hammer. But the boss battles were largely fantastic. Even if I cheated a few times taking screenshots and studying them in my own time before going back into the game.

Yeah, there is a lot of dialogue, probably too much, though it never bothered me, since I loved it all so much, it's  probably my favorite GCN game, definitely my most played.

Anything good?  Too busy to watch.  Apparently there was an Indie showcase last week too I haven't seen  yet, and didn't know about until last weekend's podcasts mentioned it

The rumors were true!

Super Mario 3D World port!!

with a new game called Bowser's Fury included?  Not coming out until FEBRUARY!?!? :(

SMB  35 for the Online service looks fun.  I'll probably play it for half an hour and get annoyed I such at it compared to online kids, like I did with Tetris 99 :lol:

This real life Mario Kart thing seems....... impressive technologically, but how much will anyone really do it?

Mario clothing, nice for people with kids I guess

Super Mario All Stars in the SNES online app!

Mario 64 port for Switch!

Mario Sunshine port!  in 16:9!  How will they handle the lack of analog triggers?

MARIO GALAXY PORT!  Looks HD almost?

Oh snap it's called Super Mario 3D All Stars!  RIP Galaxy 2 fans, damn!

Woah it comes out in 2 weeks!

Thinking about it... the only main series Super Mario games not available on Switch now are Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros Wii from consoles, and Mario Land 1-3, New Super Mario Bros, New SMB 2, and 3D Land from handhelds

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Huh.  Sunshine and Galaxy will run in full 16:9 1080p, but Mario 64 is 4:3 720p, even in TV mode.  I wonder why?

https://nintendoeverything.com/super-mario-3d-all-stars-resolution-detailed/

I am thinking it is because widescreen TV's weren't a big thing at the time of 64, and because it's just a port.

I wasn't talking about the 4:3 vs 16:9 part.  Ignore that part.

I'm wondering why Mario 64 runs in 720p and yet Sunshine and Galaxy run in 1080p

All of these were originally standard definition games.

Mario 64 ran at 320x240 on the N64, Sunshine and Galaxy ran at 640x480 on the GC and Wii

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I wasn't talking about the 4:3 vs 16:9 part.  Ignore that part.

I'm wondering why Mario 64 runs in 720p and yet Sunshine and Galaxy run in 1080p

All of these were originally standard definition

I guess it is probably 720p because of it being 4:3
1 hour ago, Jay said:

Huh.  Sunshine and Galaxy will run in full 16:9 1080p, but Mario 64 is 4:3 720p, even in TV mode.  I wonder why?

https://nintendoeverything.com/super-mario-3d-all-stars-resolution-detailed/

Also, interestingly, Galaxy is "up to" 1080p, where Sunshine just straight up says 1080p without that little "disclaimer"

8 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

I guess it is probably 720p because of it being 4:3

Nah man, that's not the part that matters here.  16:9 content in 720p is 1280x720 ; 4:3 content in 720p is 960x720

16:9 content in 1080p is 1920x1080, 4:3 content is 1440x1080.

Mario 64 could have run at 1440x1080 on Switch (shit, fans have got it running at 60fps 4K on a PC port), but they went with 960x720 for some reason.

Also, interestingly, Galaxy is "up to" 1080p, where Sunshine just straight up says 1080p without that little "disclaimer"

Yea, I dunno why that would be; I guess it means Galaxy switches to 720p on levels that tax its hardware too much

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

From the brief video it didn't look online-focused... probably just some new levels

this is the best case scenario!!! I think I’m the biggest 3D World fan around here?  It’s still my favorite Mario soundtrack of all time.  So I’d be very very excited for more game.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

this is the best case scenario!!! I think I’m the biggest 3D World fan around here?  It’s still my favorite Mario soundtrack of all time.  So I’d be very very excited for more game.

I have been looking forward to this getting announced, always held off on the Wii U version in case this happened

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

As someone who didn't like it, this is enough reason for me to give it a second chance.

I think I've said it before.  It's not the coolest soundtrack for a Mario game, but it's the most *Mario* sounding one.  It's what a Mario game should sound like essentially to me.

I gotta admit I'm way less excited for the 3D Mario collection knowing they're just ports with no improvements to modernize them.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think I've said it before.  It's not the coolest soundtrack for a Mario game, but it's the most *Mario* sounding one.  It's what a Mario game should sound like essentially to me.

I think I ultimately agree with you. I love in the last decade Nintendo has really narrowed down on a live approach that still captures the very unique character of, well, their characters. Origami King is the most recent example of this, for me.

That said, what is the coolest Mario soundtrack to you?

I don't think it's a radical opinion to consider Mario 3D World a great game. It's widely considered one of the best in the series, as far as I know

Was hoping for a follow-up to Odyssey, but knowing Nintendo they probably got halfway through developing a sequel and scrapped it for something better that will be worth the wait.

Still, I'm excited for 3D World, I never had a Wii-U but played it a few times on someone else's console and it was heaps of fun. Excited to play Galaxy again too, though similarly disappointed at no Galaxy 2.

This would've been better if we hadn't heard the rumours so long ago... Kinda ruined the surprise a bit!

Given Nintendo's lead time on sequels, I'd have been surprised if there were another one announced so soon.

Huge first party Nintendo news day yesterday.  Bummer about no BOTW2 news, but good news generally for Switch owners.  I heard that Super Mario 3D All Stars is going to be limited edition - both in print AND digitally.  Probably so they can later break it up into pieces and charge more per game down the line.  It'll be interesting to see how they handle FLUDD stuff in Sunshine with the Switch controls...

None of this stuff will force my hand to buy a Switch at this point.  I don't know what could do it until BOTW2.  (I already plan to "upgrade" to PS4 this winter, a cheap used one after the 5 comes out - for the sake of Arkham Knight, Spider-man, Last of Us 2).  Most of what interests me on the Switch are ports/upgrades of previous games, many of which I already have access to (BOTW, Link's Awakening, Mario Kart, New Mario-U, all these newly announced Mario ports).  Outside of that, I think Mario Odyssey is really the only game on Switch I'm hankering for, and that can wait for me.

I own Galaxy 2 but still haven't played it.  Just time, priorities, parenthood stuff.  But maybe someday I'll pop it into my Wii U.

21 hours ago, Jay said:

I pulled up the path tracking map thing, and good lord!  There sure were some entire areas I'd never gone to!! 

It was really almost like a whole new game for me once I bought the DLC - I found tons of small things (shrines, Koroks, etc.), but also some bigger things (some stables, the oceanside village) late in the game because of that map.  Even just exploring different locales.  I pretty much had not explored any of the top left quadrant of the map, minus the road to the bird people, so it led me to the snowy mountains, and then further south down a river in a canyon (which, if I recall, terminates in some sort of magical hot spring or something like that).

Mario games are the main reason I've stayed a very active Nintendo fan so far into adulthood/parenthood, they're the main reason I keep playing games at all.  But this actually means that yesterday's big Mario Direct felt like it wasn't for me.  I've never really stopped playing and replaying all the old games, and the announcements were really more for people who either (a) are nostalgic for, say, Mario Sunshine but haven't played it in 15 years or (b) are more recent Mario fans that haven't played the classic 3D games.

Every single game announced as coming to Switch yesterday I have replayed in the last 2-3 years.  The one thing that would've gotten me really excited is if the 3D All-Stars weren't just ports but full remakes (or at least somewhat more enhanced ports).  But that didn't happen.

All that said, obviously I preordered the All-Stars collection on Amazon as soon as I finished watching the Direct and I played a half hour of the original All-Stars via Switch Online last night ;) 

I think the Wii U had a stronger library of NIntendo-made titles than the Switch has so far, of course since most of the Wii U ones have been ported to Switch it's somewhat moot, but still worth looking at

Both have BOTW, so that's a wash.  Then, if you take out all third party stuff, and take out all the Switch ports of Wii U titles, and you've got

Wii U Switch
  1-2-Switch
  Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  Arms
  BoxBoy! + BoxGirl!
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker  
  Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze  
  Dr Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch
  Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  Jump Rope Challenge
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse Kirby Star Allies
  Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario Kart 8  
  Nintendo Labo
Mario Party 10 Super Mario Party
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash  
New Super Luigi U  
New Super Mario U  
Paper Mario Color Splash Paper Mario: The Origami King
Pikmin 3  
  Ring Fit Adventure
Splatoon 1 Splatoon 2
Starfox 0 & Guard  
Super Mario Maker 1 Super Mario Maker 2
Super Mario 3D World Super Mario Odyssey
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE  
Xenoblade Chronicles X Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Yoshi's Woolly World Yoshi's Crafted World
Zelda Twilight Princess HD  
Zelda Wind Waker HD  
  Zelda Link's Awakening HD

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Haha, same. I've actually never played the All-Stars version of the original before! 

Wow really?  How old are you, I don't remember.  I remember hearing about Mario All Stars in Nintendo Power, finally getting it, and playing the shit out of Mario 1, Lost Levels, Mario 2, and Mario 3 on it, all over again, even though I had played them all (except for Lost Levels) on NES

The physics for Mario 1 are slightly different than the NES original, not sure about Mario 2 and 3

5 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Yeah, the Switch is primarily a port machine, which I find disappointing. 

But you didn't own a Wii U, right?  So how can it be disappointing to you, since you're getting the entire first party collection of Wii U and Switch titles as premieres for you?

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow really?  How old are you, I don't remember.  I remember hearing about Mario All Stars in Nintendo Power, finally getting it, and playing the shit out of Mario 1, Lost Levels, Mario 2, and Mario 3 on it, all over again, even though I had played them all (except for Lost Levels) on NES

The physics for Mario 1 are slightly different than the NES original, not sure about Mario 2 and 3

27! I've played the All Stars versions of 2 and 3 before, and the enhanced version of Super Mario World where Luigi is actually a different character, but never the original as it's my least favorite of the NES games. The Lost Levels I beat as a kid when it was an unlockable in the Game Boy Color port Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

But you didn't own a Wii U, right?  So how can it be disappointing to you, since you're getting the entire first party collection of Wii U and Switch titles as premieres for you?

It's the principle of the thing!

I think it makes a lot of sense for Nintendo to do so, and with the excellent third party support so far, they don't have nearly as much a burden to bear to keep the thing afloat.

I'm a huge Mario Kart fan and it speaks to the quality of Mario Kart 8 (easily the best of the series) that it took 6 years of it being THE Mario Kart before it felt like it was time for a new one.  I'd love a Mario Kart 9, but I bet it won't happen for years yet when MK8 is still selling like crazy.