The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

I never had an SNES, so I never played The Lost Levels or the All Stars versions of the other games.  I did eventually play Super Mario World port on the GBA, as well as owning ports of 2 and 3.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm a huge Mario Kart fan and it speaks to the quality of Mario Kart 8 (easily the best of the series) that it took 6 years of it being THE Mario Kart before it felt like it was time for a new one.  I'd love a Mario Kart 9, but I bet it won't happen for years yet when MK8 is still selling like crazy.

I'm not a huge Mario Kart fan and I think 8 is awesome! 

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

27! I've played the All Stars versions of 2 and 3 before, and the enhanced version of Super Mario World where Luigi is actually a different character, but never the original as it's my least favorite of the NES games. The Lost Levels I beat as a kid when it was an unlockable in the Game Boy Color port Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.

Nice, that GBC port of SMB is the only version of it I haven't played.  Well, I think I played it in a store demo or at a friend's house, but I never owned it (I never owned a GBC at all)

It's the principle of the thing!

I think it makes a lot of sense for Nintendo to do so, and with the excellent third party support so far, they don't have nearly as much a burden to bear to keep the thing afloat.

I get the principle thing, but I don't think it's fair to come close to calling the Switch a port machine; They've still made a bunch of huge AAA first party titles for it... but more importantly, I absolutely don't think they've decided to make less of them, or slowed down the progress of ones being worked on, solely because they know they will sell lots of Wii U ports.  I think the Wii U ports are filling in gaps in the schedule between new games, not taking the place of new games being developed.  We're also compared the entirety of Wii U's lifespan vs the first 3 1/2 years of the Switch's, and we don't really know what else Nintendo has in store for us between now and the launch of the Switch's successor other than Metroid Prime 4 and BOTW 2.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm a huge Mario Kart fan and it speaks to the quality of Mario Kart 8 (easily the best of the series) that it took 6 years of it being THE Mario Kart before it felt like it was time for a new one.  I'd love a Mario Kart 9, but I bet it won't happen for years yet when MK8 is still selling like crazy.

MK8 Deluxe is selling too well for Nintendo to release a MK8 now.  MK9 will very likely be a launch title for the Switch's successor.

57 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I never had an SNES, so I never played The Lost Levels or the All Stars versions of the other games.  I did eventually play Super Mario World port on the GBA, as well as owning ports of 2 and 3.

I bought all 4 "Mario Advance" games for my beloved GBA and eventually decided they are all disappointing ports not worth the effort.  I'm glad they now have 4 games in their original form available on the Switch - we still need those SMB3 e-Card levels to be available though!

54 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I'm not a huge Mario Kart fan and I think 8 is awesome! 

I cooled off on the series over the years.  I dug it as a kid and into my 20s, playing with friends, but now that I only play video games by myself, MK doesn't do much for me

What do you guys think Nintendo's big holiday title for the Switch is?

We know about:

• September 18: Super Mario 3D All Stars
  • October 16: Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
  • October 30: Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • February 31: Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

There's gotta be SOMETHING coming in the big Nov/Dec time slot, right!?

For comparison, here's their big Nov/Dec titles from 2012-> 2019

November 2012: New Super Mario Bros U / Nintendo Land

November 2013: Super Mario 3D World / Wii Fit U / December 2013: NES Remix

November 2014: Super Smash Bros for Wii U / December 2014: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

November 2015: Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash / December 2015: Xenoblade Chronicles X

October 2016: Paper Mario Color Splash {this is when Nintendo gave up on Wii U and waited for Switch to launch in March 2017}

December 2017: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

November 2018: Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee/Pikachu / December 2018: Super Smash Bros Ultimate

November 2019: Pokémon: Sword/Shield

So what's 2020's entry in the list? 

Is it a game we already know about that doesn't have a date, like Pokemon Snap, Detective Pikachu, Bravely Default 2, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, or Breath of the Wild 2?

One of the many rumored games that Nintendo hasn't actually mentioned themselves like the Star Fox kart racing game, a Metroid Prime trilogy collection, Skyward Sword HD, or Pikmin 4?

A so-far completely unannounced entry in one of their existing IPs like a new Donkey Kong, Kirby, Kid Icarus, or WarioWare?

A brand new IP?

Maybe here's a better question.  If there was no covid and E3 still happened their year, what would have been their booth design, and big game announcement?  Would it have just been Origami King, Pikmin 3, and Mario 35th stuff, or would it have been a mystery Nov/Dec title still unannounced?

Is it *officially* officially confirmed that the SM64 port in All-Stars retains the same digital camera controls from the original?  Having SM64 with analog camera would be worth 60 bucks all by itself for me.

I had a dream last night where Nintendo revealed for Breath of the Wild 2 that you can go into Link's dreams while he's sleeping, specifically in the rejuvenation chamber. It'd be a kind of Link to the Past mirror world deal, where you would alternate between the two.

I don't want my subconscious to get in trouble, so no one tell Nintendo where they heard this.

OK, but what does everyone think Nintendo's big Holiday title will be?

Or is 3D All Stars / Mario Kart Live / Pikmin 3 Deluxe / Hyrule Warriors 2 / Pokemon DLC their entire Q4 first party lineup?

And do we think their E3 booth would have just been Mario centric, showing off 3D All Stars. 3D World, Mario Kart, and the ways their various other titles would celebrate (the dropped Mario Maker event, the Splatoon event, etc)?

I think because of COVID, this new BOTW Hyrule Warriors is the closest we’re getting to a big holiday release.  I think they expect sales of Animal Crossing and other evergreen back catalog titles to pull them through.

For the record, I couldn’t be less interested in musou games and no amount of Zelda paint job will convince me to try it.

On 9/5/2020 at 7:22 PM, Disco Stu said:

Is it *officially* officially confirmed that the SM64 port in All-Stars retains the same digital camera controls from the original?  Having SM64 with analog camera would be worth 60 bucks all by itself for me.

The clunky digital camera controls are really what make 64 and Sunshine age the most poorly out of all the 3D Marios, well that and 64's graphics (IMO at least).... and I suppose Sunshine's unsatisfying end game

It really doesn't seem like they are updating or fixing hardly anything with these ports, which is a shame; They had an opportunity to fix issues and modernize these games without destroying their original essense.

Here are some more videos which might help shed some light on some differences

Oh, and it seems 3D World is more heavily tweaked than any of the 3D All Stars ports; They've increased the speed the characters move for one

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I think because of COVID, this new BOTW Hyrule Warriors is the closest we’re getting to a big holiday release.  I think they expect sales of Animal Crossing and other evergreen back catalog titles to pull them through.

For the record, I couldn’t be less interested in musou games and no amount of Zelda paint job will convince me to try it.

Agreed

...oh crap, it's a canon prequel to Breath of the Wild, with Zelda team collaboration. Dammit, I'm tempted now.

I finally watched that video last night.  I hadn't realized they basically directly imported the assets from BOTW and it looks exactly like that game, just with completely different gameplay.

I suppose this is what they would consider their big holiday title, especially since it launches on the same day the PS5 does.

Here's hoping for a packed 2021 of 1st party titles!

Looks like you can press Y to spin instead of having the shake the controller in the Switch port of Galaxy

30 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

They still haven't ported Yoshi's Woolly World, a game I love.  Crafted World was a huge disappointment.

Let's see

Wii U games ported to Switch

1. 2012's New Super Mario Bros. U (2019's New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe)
  2. 2013's Lego City Undercover (2017)
  3. 2013's New Super Luigi U (2019's New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe)
  4. 2013's Pikmin 3 (2020's Pikmin 3 Deluxe)
  5. 2013's The Wonderful 101 (2020's The Wonderful 101 Remastered)
  6. 2013's Super Mario 3D World (2021's Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury)
  7. 2014's Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2018)
  8. 2014's Mario Kart 8 (2017's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe)
  9. 2014's Hyrule Warriors (2018's Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)
  10. 2014's Bayonetta 2 (2018)
  11. 2014's Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (2018)
  12. 2015's Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (2020's Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore)
  13. 2016's Pokkén Tournament (2017's Pokkén Tournament DX)
  14. 2017's Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)

Wii U games that got a sequel on Switch with more or less the same engine&graphics instead

1. 2014's Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (2018's Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
  2. 2015's Splatoon (2017's Splatoon 2)
  3. 2015's Super Mario Maker (2019's Super Mario Maker 2)

Wii U games ported to 3DS

1. (2014's Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS)
  2. (2014's Hyrule Warriors - 2016)
  3. (2014's Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 2018)
  4. 2015's Yoshi's Woolly World - 2017
  5. (2015's Super Mario Maker - 2016)

Wii U games that remain unavailable anywhere else

1. 2012's Nintendo Land
  2. 2013's Wii Fit U
  3. 2013's Zelda Wind Waker HD
  4. 2013's NES Remix
  5. 2014's Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
  6. 2015's Mario Party 10
  7. 2015's Xenoblade Chronicles X
  8. 2015's Devil's Third
  9. 2016's Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
  10. 2016's Zelda Twilight Princess HD
  11. 2016's Star Fox Zero & Star Fox Guard
  12. 2016's Paper Mario: Color Splash

I think they should port Woolly World, Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Xenoblade Chronicles X for sure.

Nintendo Land, Wii Fit U, and Mario Party 10 are impossible unless they add Wii U controller support or greatly rework them

Rainbow Curse and Color Splash seem unlikely, but maybe they'll do it?

We got Mario Tennis Aces for Switch so will probably never see Ultra Smash ported

No idea about Devil's Third or Star Fox...

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think they should port Woolly World, Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Xenoblade Chronicles X for sure.

I agree if only because it's silly to leave the Wii U *only* 99% irrelevant.  Just finish the job and put 'er out of 'er misery!

If they port Xenoblade X to Switch, you could then play the entire series on one console; Currently, X is the odd duck out

Woolly World is I feel in the same category as Captain Toad, Donkey Kong, and Kirby, the kind of B stars of their portfolio; Since Donkey Kong and Captain Toad got ported, maybe Woolly World and Rainbow Curse will too?

I doubt they'll port Color Smash just cause it was so poorly received by everyone, and would be unlikely to sell many copies on Switch, I don't think, especially after the lukewarm Oragami King response

Porting Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD seems inevitable; now that we know they had this canon Zelda Musou game up their sleeve, I guess that explains why we haven't seen them yet.

Maybe they'll arrive at the halfway point between Hyrule Warriors 2 and BOTW 2 - unless the are planning on releasing a remaster of Skyward Sword instead

Ok this HAS to be a Mandela Effect. I was such a Nintendo geek in the 90s, especially with the N64, and played at the mall, at home, read three different Nintendo magazines, and looked through the available games for N64 at the video game stores several times a week. Until about 2003.

And today is the first time I have EVER heard about and seen gameplay of "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine" for N64 that was supposedly released in 1999 by THQ. Now, maybe it was a US only game. No! It was supposedly released in 1999 in Germany as "Indiana Jones und der Turm von Babel". 

It did NOT happen! 

Pretty decent graph of all the Switch exclusives so far

erqb5c8ty5m51.jpg

The funny thing is I consider myself to have my ear to the ground for everything Nintendo; I listen to 3 different weekly Nintendo podcasts, for crying out loud.  Yet I had literally never heard of Go Vacation, The Stretchers, or Fitness Boxing before I saw this chart.  Weird.

I didn't indicate what my opinion of it was (I haven't played it - I have no opinion), just the general online reaction, as I heard on podcasts and saw on reddit.  The sales are actually pretty good though, it could be a slow burn multi-million seller

The Sep 26 direct about Hyrule Warriors 2 will be 50 minutes long!  Damn!

Also, here's a wider / differently composited version of the art they used for the cover

No one but me is intrigued by this playable egg-shaped mini guardian?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The Sep 26 direct about Hyrule Warriors 2 will be 50 minutes long!  Damn!

Also, here's a wider / differently composited version of the art they used for the cover

No one but me is intrigued by this playable egg-shaped mini guardian?

People are speculating that it might be Purah

I'm excited for it, too!

@Disco Stu I've been playing Picross S4, and wow! Probably the best Picross game I've played! Color Picross is surprisingly awesome, and the music for the game is actually damn good. 

I'd be excited to try the multiplayer.

Super Mario 3D All Stars leaked early, so people have been posting some info they discovered about it

• Super Mario 64 is emulated; The 8mb shindou rom is literally on the cart, along with a texture packet for the new fonts and a few updated textures (mostly Mario's textures) and that's it.
  • Super Mario Sunshine is also a rom on the cart, emulated; There's a larger update packet though, for the new textures and cutscenes
  • Super Mario Galaxy is recompiled to run directly on the Switch, but the GPU and Audio are emulated ... this was unexpected because the Galaxy port to the Nvidia Shield from a year or 2 ago for China WAS fully emulated...
  • There is no hidden Galaxy 2 anywhere on the cartridge :(
  • Here's how they are handling the transition from analog triggers to digital for Sunshine's FLUDD controls

On 9/3/2020 at 10:14 AM, Jay said:

On 9/4/2020 at 9:45 AM, Disco Stu said:

All that said, obviously I preordered the All-Stars collection on Amazon as soon as I finished watching the Direct

No it's better than those because these emulators are providing a different experience (HD, on the fly texture replacement) rather than trying to recreate the exact original experience like those. 

But yea it's bittersweet when we just got the gigaleak with the uncompressed audio for M64 finally so we know it was archived perfectly, yet we just get the old compressed audio from the 8MB rom in this