The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

31 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Diddy’s Kong Quest is essential, but why not the original?! 

Explain:

On 7/7/2020 at 9:45 PM, Spider-Fal said:

On 7/8/2020 at 10:23 AM, Jay said:

Looks like I'll be playing through Donkey Kong Country for the first time since I was a kid

On 7/8/2020 at 12:37 PM, Koray Savas said:

I’ll be going back as well. I just wish they put 2 and 3 on there. 

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The original is already on the SNES app

And he commented on DKC2's absence in that batch.

Edit: Ninja'd!

I finally got to play video games this past weekend for the first time in over a week.  I resumed BOTW and headed towards that large area near Tabantha tower I had never explored, and it was pretty cool!  There was kinds of craters in the ground, like meteors had hit it or something.  I love that 200 hours in this game I can still find new topography.  Anyways I found a shrine hiding until a stone slab I had to life up with octo balloons, and it was a cool wind based shrine that reminded me of a mario game; there was a bunch of rafts on balloons that you could infinitely spawn by hitting a propellor, giant spike blocks to avoid, etc.

Then I re-examined my map and found I DID have a stamp for a spot where my Shrine detector had gone off but I had never explored before, so I went there; It was near Hebra Tower in a snow drift area on Hebra Mountain.  I took me a while to finally find it - it was hidden behind a giant door!  I had to find nearby snowballs and roll them into it again.  This explained why @mstrox was confused a while back when he talked about only finding a shrine behind a giant door in Hebra Mountain, when I was talking about finding one of the leviathan bones behind giant door on Hebra Mountain - it turns out there's TWO GIANT DOORS ON HEBRA MOUNTAIN!  This was a cool shrine where it took me a bit to realize how I had to have a giant stone ball held up by 2 chains to drop on a plunger without swinging to the side

That was my 116th shrine!  I am very pleased to have found 116 out of 120 shrines without looking up any locations.  I dunno if I'll eventually cave to find the last 4 or not, but I decided to do all the DLC next since perhaps doing that will lead me to find some of the last 4 shrines along the way!

Stu, what are your thoughts on Paper Mario Origami King?  You mentioned many times about being excited to play it and avoiding spoilers for it, then never came back and told us what you thought about it

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

Stu, what are your thoughts on Paper Mario Origami King?  You mentioned many times about being excited to play it and avoiding spoilers for it, then never came back and told us what you thought about it

I liked it a LOT.  The battle system could get a little tiresome, but it was certainly not enraging like the Color Splash one, and the game gave me plenty of tools to make battles easier.  Once it became clear I wasn't playing to be challenged by the battles, I felt no guilt at all in using those tools.

The art, the story, the characters were all very charming and fun.  My daughter got really invested in the game as a spectator so that made it even better.  Personally I thought it was the best Paper Mario in years, a good time from start to finish.

Oh I almost forgot to mention that I got pretty addicted to 100% Origami King, especially finding all the hidden Toads in each map area.  It was a surprisingly fun exploration game that rewards you for looking in every nook and cranny.

I haven't really been playing a lot on Switch outside of Picross and revisiting old platformer favorites like I do pretty much all the time.  Unsurprisingly Animal Crossing dropped out of my gaming habit completely, but we had a good time with it for a couple of months and I don't feel I wasted my money.

How many hours did you put into Origami King to get to that 100%?

Yea I wonder if Nintendo is planning any big events to draw people back into Animal Crossing

Do you Switch people typically play around TV, or use it as a handheld?  The desire to play console games on a handheld is a strong urge and a convenience, but I've never felt quite LOST in a video game world doing handheld - so the idea of wandering around with a little tablet playing Breath of the Wild loses some appeal for me.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Tell us more!

Oh now you ask!? What am I, your little slut?

Oh, you know I am. As I was playing through the game, I loved it, and after completing it, I really liked it. I loved the battle system, in contrast to Stu, but I'm way more into puzzle games than he is. At first it's incredibly simple, but damn does the heat pick up after a while. Even with some of the assistance tools, by late game I still struggled with a good amount of the battle puzzles. But as Stu alluded to, this game is basically designed to be unloseable, with the difficulty being as high or easy as you want it to be at any given moment. It's a unique way of video game difficulty, and I was very impressed by this game's approach. Where the battle system really shone for me were the boss battles, which were some of the most fun I've ever played.

Like Stu said, the other aspects of the game are what really make the game pop. The music, surprisingly acoustic, still captures the Paper Mario spirit very well, and the visuals are incredibly vibrant and appealing. Then comes what some might argue is the most important ingredient for Paper Mario: the writing. In short, it's hilarious. Whether it's self-aware self-effacement of a Koopa Troopa, or jabs at commercializing a religious pilgrimage, the jokes come fast and hard. Practically every character has something amusing to say, and I wanted to talk to each one, just to see what that would be.

The larger plot and story is where it didn't come together as well for me. Like many, I love Thousand Year Door and consider it the pinnacle of the series: one of the reasons why was that the plot took you into some really interesting and memorable places, in location and idea. There was a surprising amount of emotional and tonal robustness and depth, that came together to really create a sense of grand adventure.

...and Origami King doesn't have much of that. The plot is a romp, a giant vessel to cram as many gags as possible. And while almost all of them hit, I did find myself wanting for more. There's a very notable--and memorable--exception to this, but it happens relatively early in the game, and bizarrely isn't really followed up on by anything else. From that point on, it becomes a pretty straightforward trek through a standard video game plot, exceptional comedic surprises notwithstanding. The endgame, as a result, left me with a "Well, that's that" feeling.

Overall, this would have been the perfect game I would've rented from Blockbuster for a week or two, and returned completed, satisfied and not looking back. That might sound like damning praise, but I have no hesitation calling this the best Paper Mario since 2004, and would highly recommend it...just maybe not at $60.

It's a discussion thread.  You don't have to wait for people to ask about a game you played.  Just tell us about games you play after playing them!  There's always interest!

Thanks for that write up, Nick!

A lot of these "B" Nintendo games I feel like are in that category, of glad you played them, but not necessarily worth the $60 price take that's identical to their "A" games you're gonna love and play over and over again.

I'll probably pick up Paper Mario when it hits $40 somewhere.  I wonder if they'll do a Selects line for Switch like they've done for their prior consoles?

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder if they'll do a Selects line for Switch like they've done for their prior consoles?

Almost certainly.  Although that's always a signal that we're in the last 1-2 years of a platform's life, so it might be a few years yet.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh, you think the Switch lifecycle will be that long?

I'd expect the Switch's successor to drop in 2022

Well, in the investor briefing, Furukawa said we were still in the middle of the Switch lifecycle.  But of course that's pretty open to interpretation.  It's actually kinda nice that they've completely broken free of running parallel to the Microsoft/Sony generational schedule.

This is somebody who was live-tweeting Furukawa's comments

Oh man, I read that when I woke up then forgot about it until now

You know what I miss on the Switch?  The smaller hand-held style games.  They've done a good job continuing all the franchises that were running through Wii, Wii U, etc, but seem to have forgotten about the type of stuff they used to make for DS, 3DS, etc now that the 3DS finally got sunset 2 years ago

I don't need every 1st party announcement to be this huge game with polished HD graphics, I'll take some smaller games that are quicker to develop in between these heavy hitters!

I forgot about today's partner direct!  Here it is

First game is some Monster Hunter game from Capcom.  I've never played any games in this series, have you guys?  I thought it looked silly, especially the characters and their dialogue

Second game is also from Capcom, and looks even more like BOTW than the first trailer did.  Oh, it's another Monster Hunter game

Some Fitness Boxing game... meh

Disgaea 6... I've never played one of these games.  I downloaded the Disgaea 5 demo like 3 1/2 years ago and have yet to launch it.  Oh, they're gonna make Disgaea 5 free for online subscribers for a window

Empire of Sin - heh, looks goofy and potentially fun

Geez, the trailer for some game called Sniper Elite 4 was ruined by constantly pulling back to show it running on a Switch, what's the point of that?

The Long Dark available later today, looks interesting if it's cheap

PGA Tour 2K1 - meh

Hades - dungeon crawler game.  meh

Balan Wonderworld - new Square Enix game. Looks.... very silly.  Definitely aimed at children

Rune Factory 5 - meh

ORI AND THE WILL OF THE WISPS!!!  YESSSSSSS

AVAILABLE LATER TODAY!!!!

Woah!  And they are doing a physical release for both Ori games in one package!  ORDERED!

Ah nevermind, it's $150!

https://www.iam8bit.com/collections/all/products/ori-collectors-edition

damn

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Woah!  And they are doing a physical release for both Ori games in one package!  ORDERED!

Ah nevermind, it's $150!

https://www.iam8bit.com/collections/all/products/ori-collectors-edition

damn

While expensive, it's cool that it includes the soundtracks, even if it is just a digital download code on a card.

Oh it's a lovely looking package, I just can't justify spending $150 on it

Here's 2 minutes of gameplay, running at 60 FPS on Switch

:lol:

The only game I've played on my Switch for the last 125 hours I've played it is Breath of The Wild, other than the 5 hours I spent playing INSIDE

Ori 1 is next, I promise!

Here's a simplified explanation of how Sunshine's controls are remapped for Switch

GameCube Switch
jump A A or B
dive B Y
switch fludd type X X
change camera to over-the-shoulder for easier aim Y click the right stick
ground pound/crouch L ZL
spray while running lightly press R ZR
stop mario and aim water gun hold R R
map Z L
move the camera C stick right stick

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nice, I never upgrade to the New line, but I LOVE my og 3DS XL

I owned an OG 3DS then upgraded to an XL, then upgraded to a New XL.  But then that broke and for some reason decided to replace it with a New 2DS XL.  It’s a really attractive system but I finally decided that it was unacceptable to never play 3D games in 3D again.  This will hopefully be my final purchase of a 3DS system