The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

My biggest heartbreak is that my beloved DS Lite perished; I used it to play my GBA games (and obviously my DS games before I got my 3DS XL to play those on instead).  Now I have to use the GBA adapter on my Gamecube if I want to play them, which is a system I don't usually leave connected anywhere.  I tried looking to buy a DS Lite after mine broke, but they were OOP and selling for way too much second hand.  The most annoying part is that it only broke because I took it with me fora flight once, and never even played it on either flight of that trip :(

Those are cool mods :up:

In my case, I installed a GBA emulator on my 3DS XL, so I'll probably use that to play my GBA games portably when I don't want to play them on my Gamecube, only bummer is I can't transfer progress between the two so I have to pick up front which one I'll play the entire game on

I don't like the GBA SP, it's an ugly device that isn't comfortable and has no headphone jack

Game-Boy-Advance-SP-Mk1-Blue.jpg

I LOVED the OG GBA, unfortunately mine stopped working one day :(

Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-Purple-FL.jpg

I found my DS Lite was the perfect way to play GBA games

Nintendo-DS-Lite-Black-Open.jpg

I wish mine hadn't broke :(

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I LOVE the OG GBA, unfortunately mine stopped working one day :(

I don't know if I could ever go back to those pre backlit days, at least for the GBA. Point is, wouldn't a replacement for one be pretty cheap at this point?

But I don't want one.  I want another DS Lite.

I would never want to go back to an un-backlit screen, either; I just meant I loved it at the time.

The DS Lite eventually gave me everything I needed to enjoy GBA games with no issues

And I actually really like the GBA adapter for the Gamecube too; That's how I played Link's Awakening a couple years ago.  The Gamecube controller is still very nice to use

10 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

They ain't that expensive either! A quick search showed me multiple >$50 listings.

I don't want a used one, I want a new opened one

Started the Champions Ballad DLC in BOTW!

Headed up to the place you start the game, put the slate in the thing, got the one-hit obliterator, and headed out and defeated the 4 camps of bad guys with it and cleared the associated shrines.  I enjoyed this!  It was similar-ish to the Eventide Island quest, but vastly different in that when you die, you don't have to start over, and in fact respawn pretty much right where you left off.

The shrines were cool, like the developers thought outside the box and added in new ideas they never had before when making the base game.  One of them reminded me of Mario again.

Doing all that unlocked 4 groups of 3 shrines near each of the beasts; I haven't bothered to go do those yet.  Instead, I got distracted by finding all the treasure chests added via the DLC - the various new armors and the teleport pad and stuff.  I thought this was simultaneously kinda cool, and kinda weird.  In essence, it's kind of lame as a thing you do at the endgame, when you've done everything except defeat Ganon, because you are just wandering back into places you've already been, finding a chest, and moving on.  I think the ideal way to experience this is instead of install the DLC immediately on first play through, and find these chests when you first explore these areas.  Oh well

For me the platonic ideal is somewhere in between, tbh - you essentially have explored everywhere, so it might be old hat.  I plugged my dlc in when I finished the four beasts, but I still also had tons of shrines and side missions to do.  It incentivized me to keep exploring.

Is anyone else finding the 3D Mario games horrible to control? Didn't try Galaxy yet, but for 64 and Sunshine, the controls are so sensitive that it's incredibly difficult to control them the way you want. 

For 64's triple jump, you have to be so precise with pushing B shortly before Mario lands, that it's really frustrating. And the joystick is so sensitive with the movements that the slightest touch whirls you around. 

I've played the originals for endless hours, they were simple and a joy to control, especially 64.

This is just painful. 

Pro Controller > Joy Cons, 100% of the time

I just recently discovered this ingenious device to let you use it portably:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fixture-s1-play-with-your-pro-controller-anywhere#/

I ordered one immediately and it arrived on Thursday, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I’m gonna try SM64 handheld now.  Just got this grip in the mail to make it more comfortable to hold the switch for big boy grown up hands 

https://www.satisfye.com/products/zengrip-pro

I got that about a year ago and it's GREAT. HIGHLY recommended, you'll never want to go back to playing without it

I heard on a podcast this week that opening up Sunshine's display from 4:3 to 16:9 is really nice because pushing the HUD elements out to the new corners means you have a greater view of the world in your center view

They also talked about how it was clear they upgraded the sprites in Mario 64 (which was always a mix of some spritework in a mostly polygonal world), so that's nice.  I don't really get why they didn't open it up to 16:9 too though

There are so many questionable decisions.  I still say it's very possible that the rumor gaining traction is actually what caused them to start work on it earlier this year!

But even with all the weirdness and it's certainly appropriate to question the price tag, these are games that are the reason I play games.  Nintendo will siphon money off of me to buy them and rebuy them for the rest of my life and they will bring me joy every time.

I like "Death of the Wild" much more than "Breath of Evil", but I doubt either will be the localization NOA goes with

On 9/16/2020 at 5:56 PM, mstrox said:

Do you Switch people typically play around TV, or use it as a handheld?  The desire to play console games on a handheld is a strong urge and a convenience, but I've never felt quite LOST in a video game world doing handheld - so the idea of wandering around with a little tablet playing Breath of the Wild loses some appeal for me.

I have a switch lite 

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Lol at this fake

nitendo-direct-october-2020.jpg

I hope the Nintendo GameBoy games include the original Pokémon games!!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I like "Death of the Wild" much more than "Breath of Evil", but I doubt either will be the localization NOA goes with

Confirmed, the sequel will be focused on Tarrey Town's Hudson going mad with power and relentlessly industrializing Hyrule.

I right I forgot we were getting more info today

What do you think?

EDIT: Just watched that 2 1/2 minute trailer - wow!  I'm significantly more interested in the game now than I was from the initial reveal.

EDIT 2

0:27 - baby Sidon?

0:35 - who's the white-haired lady?

0:52 - the little egg with legs!

1:52 - oh, is the white-haired lady young Impa?

4 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

Oh cool!  Here it is as an embed

Music seems good!

I'm hearing lots of sound effects straight out of BOTW

Art style is of course directly from it

Oh cool, they are adding oversized bokoblins to go along with the normal sized ones.  I wonder if there will be an explanation for why the oversized ones are gone 100 years later :P

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh cool, they are adding oversized bokoblins to go along with the normal sized ones.  I wonder if there will be an explanation for why the oversized ones are gone 100 years later :P

They died....?

I mean... it IS a fighting game ;)

Oh man, the cutscene with the egg with legs and Impa is cool.  The egg is adorable!  They definitely took inspiration from BB-8

So much BOTW-isms are here, like swinging your sword close to a tree cuts it, you can pick up herbs and all kinds of other stuff, etc.  Weapons don't seem to break though

Hehe, it's even got Cryonis blocks

Oh man, young Impa is awesome.  This game looks fun

Ive been really enjoying having a New 3DS XL again, a great piece of hardware (after you’ve gotten your micro SD in there at least :P).  But what I’ve been playing the most is going back and finishing Picross 3D Round 2, one of the best games on the system.

One day I'll check out one of these Picross games

Anybody else have any thoughts on that new Age of Calamity trailer or gameplay footage?

I enjoyed the Picross games I played on DS, but honestly there are so many different nonogram apps you can get for free on smartphone since then that I have little interest in paying for a new one, well done Nintendo interface regardless.