The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

15 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

In light of all the drama surrounding Cyberpunk and how disappointing it has been for people it’s really made me appreciate Nintendo’s publicity approach. They do not announce games 5 years in advance, so hype can’t be drummed up to impossible levels. When the game is nearly ready, they’ll announce it, with maybe a few months of waiting before it’s released.  

Nintendo first party games are also never, ever, ever filled with bugs.   Something that I don't think people truly appreciate.

Nobody ever buys a major Nintendo title with the thought "i hope there isn't anything that's going to need to be patched."

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Considering the open-ended nature of the game and the very experimental physics engine, it's actually incredibly impressive how relatively free of bugs Breath of the Wild was when it released.

Exactly.  Nobody bought that game with the fear of any glitches.

Even the GTA games, including V (released in 2013!!) had relatively few bugs, and definitely nothing game breaking/crashing.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

There's a new interview with Shigeru Miyamoto in the New Yorker

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/shigeru-miyamoto-wants-to-create-a-kinder-world

Holy cow, that interview started out as merely interesting (IE the moving desks based on project idea), then became completely amazing.  What a thoughtful and amazingly insightful dude

Speaking of Miyamoto, he hosted a direct about the new theme partk

I hadn't been following anything about this at all so this is the first I've seen of the park and it looks pretty cool!  Will be happy to check it out some day post pandemic

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Considering the open-ended nature of the game and the very experimental physics engine, it's actually incredibly impressive how relatively free of bugs Breath of the Wild was when it released.

Yes! It was in also development for a loooong time though, It’s clear it was intended for the WiiU (the Sheika slate would’ve been accessed with the WiiU pad), so I imagine when they decided to make it a launch title for the Switch they were able to use the extra time to refine it.

Nintendo first party titles are still the gold standard for game development even decades after their heyday as the console kings. I suppose that’s a luxury afforded by hardware owners - the only other AAA game studio with a similar level of polish is Naughty Dog which is owned by Sony. If you’ve got revenue coming in from all directions you can afford to take the time to make it perfect I guess.

12 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Nintendo first party titles are still the gold standard for game development even decades after their heyday as the console kings. I suppose that’s a luxury afforded by hardware owners - the only other AAA game studio with a similar level of polish is Naughty Dog which is owned by Sony. If you’ve got revenue coming in from all directions you can afford to take the time to make it perfect I guess.

And the further advantage Nintendo has over Sony is that they have a single testing/debugging entity (it's actually considered a subsidiary organization) that does ALL the QA for ALL the games that are developed internally called Mario Club

Let me be clear on that "Nintendo" subject.

I began my "gamer" career with this:

image.png

Then this:

image.png

Then this:

image.png

Then this:

image.png

image.png

image.png

And yes I had a Nintendo after, then I realized I was not good with videogames.

The naked truth is that Nintendo killed the gamer in me!

I HATE YOU NINTENDO!

- A Bespin Story.

image.png

On 11/19/2020 at 9:33 AM, mstrox said:

I never understand early adopters, so it makes sense to me that established consoles would outsell new ones which, as Jay mentions, don't have a lot of stuff to play at this point.

I'm perpetually a full generation behind in gaming for that reason, but I'm sure there's some happy medium that doesn't involve going out the day-of a console's release to play one game and fiddle with the settings otherwise.

PS5 is backwards compatible, so technically there are thousands of games available at launch ;)

if you skipped the entire PS4 generation, a PS5 would be the console to get, as it runs PS4 games better. 

This Christmas I am not getting any new games so I am going to start replaying an old game that I have been meaning to replay for years, instead. Not the same thing, but it'll do.

I've been in a Zelda mood:

Should I replay A Link to the Past or Majora's Mask?

Emulating, but original controllers. I haven't played either one in at least ten years

7 hours ago, blondheim said:

This Christmas I am not getting any new games so I am going to start replaying an old game that I have been meaning to replay for years, instead. Not the same thing, but it'll do.

I've been in a Zelda mood:

Should I replay A Link to the Past or Majora's Mask?

Emulating, but original controllers. I haven't played either one in at least ten years

If you ever find yourself choosing between a 2D Zelda and a 3D Zelda, always go 3D imo 

Wow.

Every once in a while I got to the Switch eShop and click the "games with demos" button and download a bunch of demos to games I'd heard good things about and/or looked interesting.

One recent download was Picross S4.

Now I had never played a Picross game in my life or really knew what it was all about, but had heard so much positive comments on the series on NVC as well as by @Disco Stu in this thread, so I was happy to see a demo.

I fired it up the other night and... holy cow.  I think I have a new addiction.  What a fantastic game!  Perfect to play a puzzle or two at the end of the night when you get to a good stopping point in your main game but don't quite want to go to bed yet.  I can already tell I'll be buying the entire series as I finish each one...

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Wow.

Every once in a while I got to the Switch eShop and click the "games with demos" button and download a bunch of demos to games I'd heard good things about and/or looked interesting.

One recent download was Picross S4.

Now I had never played a Picross game in my life or really knew what it was all about, but had heard so much positive comments on the series on NVC as well as by @Disco Stu in this thread, so I was happy to see a demo.

I fired it up the other night and... holy cow.  I think I have a new addiction.  What a fantastic game!  Perfect to play a puzzle or two at the end of the night when you get to a good stopping point in your main game but don't quite want to go to bed yet.  I can already tell I'll be buying the entire series as I finish each one...

I think Picross especially appeals to me as a programmer because no matter how complex the puzzle, the algorithm I am executing never changes, it just scales up.  I approach every puzzle from 5x5s to 30x40s identically.

Holy shit I didn't know you were a programmer too!  How am I just finding this out now?  What languages do you use at your job?

@Bespin is a programmer too if I'm not mistaken

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Holy shit I didn't know you were a programmer too!  How am I just finding this out now?  What languages do you use at your job?

I used to write a fair bit of Java back in the day, but my current job (2016 on) I’ve been exclusively an Oracle database programmer/analyst, writing in PL/SQL for data loading/transformation/reporting.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So? Do you like the Switch ones?  Tell us!

When did you first get into Picross games?

Should I check out that Super Famicon Picross game that's in the SNES Online app?

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

When did you first get into Picross games?

Technically when I was 10, I played a Picross puzzle in a magazine. A few years ago, I visited my brother and played Mario Super Picross on his Super Famicom, and from there I was completely hooked.

Do you like the Switch ones?  Tell us!

I only have S4 and it's awesome. The music is surprisingly awesome, and the new modes, like Color Picross, are great. I've completed all the puzzles except Mega Picross, which will always suck.

Should I check out that Super Famicon Picross game that's in the SNES Online app?

Hell yeah you should! It's the same company behind the E and S series, they have the monopoly on Nintendo Picross games. You'll miss a number of quality of life features from say S4, but I actually prefer the vibe and level progression from Mario Super Picross over the modern games.

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Technically when I was 10, I played a Picross puzzle in a magazine. A few years ago, I visited my brother and played Mario Super Picross on his Super Famicom, and from there I was completely hooked.

That's awesome, I've never seen an actual Super Famicon IRL

I only have S4 and it's awesome. The music is surprisingly awesome, and the new modes, like Color Picross, are great. I've completed all the puzzles except Mega Picross, which will always suck.

Interesting, in the demo, I liked the Mega Picrosses more than the Color Picross

Hell yeah you should! It's the same company behind the E and S series, they have the monopoly on Nintendo Picross games. You'll miss a number of quality of life features from say S4, but I actually prefer the vibe and level progression from Mario Super Picross over the modern games.

Cool, I'll check it out then - gotta love free games!

Looks like the Sx games are $8-$10 each

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I've been a programmer for 22 years, started with Cobol and JCL, then I turned to ABAP in SAP. I know big Oracle DBs with SQL, etc.

Since two years, I'm an analyst, so I work with little twerps who program in Java.

I was addicted to the Picross games on Nintendo DS.  Now with smartphones, nonograms are a dime a dozen and I'm not sure I'd ever pay money to do one again.  Is there anything about Nintendo branded nonograms that makes them stand out from the pack?

36 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I was addicted to the Picross games on Nintendo DS.  Now with smartphones, nonograms are a dime a dozen and I'm not sure I'd ever pay money to do one again.  Is there anything about Nintendo branded nonograms that makes them stand out from the pack?

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

Probably not, unless you like the music or the pictures you see when solving it

If anything it'd be the interface and controls that would do it for me, as well as different game modes, which I wish Jupiter would make more gamey like they used to.

I can't imagine solving nonograms on a phone.

For the most part, they're limited to 15x15 on the apps I do, due to screen size.  But they have other features - different colors, etc.  I do miss the truly massive nonograms from the DS versions.

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

For the most part, they're limited to 15x15 on the apps I do, due to screen size.  But they have other features - different colors, etc.  I do miss the truly massive nonograms from the DS versions.

The problem with those big boys for me is that there's a certain point where it's not really challenging, it just takes a long-ass time because you're squinting at microscopic numbers to make sure you're filling in the correct squares.

50 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Yeah, I suppose if I ever used our iPad for anything other than Zoom trivia night, I could really expand my puzzle horizons!

What iPad have you got? Several of the newer ones are compatible with the pencil (and cheaper 3rd party alternatives). 

We just recently replaced our iPad Air 2 with an iPad 8 (because the Air 2 couldn't handle meetings or streaming media via Discord at all and was dreadfully slow/laggy with Zoom if you were not in speaker view).

If it weren't for all the online social streaming we've been doing during the pandemic, we wouldn't have updated at all.  I don't think we used our old iPad for much of anything.  Assuming that the pandemic gets under control before this iPad becomes outdated, this will likely be the last tablet we buy.  I'm happy just to do stuff on my phone.

But it might be kinda neat to play some games on it that don't work on a smaller phone.