The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

I really hope so, Miyamoto said 4-5 years ago now it was "almost finished".  Unless he was talking about "Hey! Pikmin!"....

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I really hope so, Miyamoto said 4-5 years ago now it was "almost finished".  Unless he was talking about "Hey! Pikmin!"....

I wanna say it was confirmed he wasn't...I don't think he had much to do with that one.

The only problem I can see is that they may think releasing Pikmin 4 now would cannabalize sales of Pikim 3 Deluxe.  They might want to give 3 18 months or more as the sole Pikmin title on Switch before releasing the next one

I'm really loving Mario's Super Picross, I'm so glad they added this to the American SNES App since it was never localized.

I think I'm on World 5 now, and enjoying all of it so far.  Well, except for the music, which isn't bad, but there's only 3 tracks to switch between while playing, and eventually you get sick of hearing all of them!

Oh, and I'm kinda avoiding the Wario levels and just sticking to the Mario ones.  They are so much harder!  I'll save them till after I beat the Mario ones

I did enjoy the music when I was playing them, but then they got too hard and I figured I'd hone my picross skills in the main levels first!

I thought I'd beat Book 3 of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker last night, but it ended up having way more levels than the the first two Books and I got too sleepy to finish; Will probably finish tonight

One awesome mechanic is a few levels where there was more than one double cherry so you end up controlling up to 5 Toads!  Those levels are awesome!  I also loved a retro Donkey Kong inspired level, and an awesome pinball inspired level.

This game is so full of imaginative level design!  I really hope a sequel is in the works!

It's funny how you're playing the Captain Toad game before you've played Super Mario 3D World.  Pretty much as soon as 3D World came out back in 2013 I was one of the many fans who was saying that the Captain Toad levels were a pleasant surprise and cool enough to be the basis for a standalone game or a DLC pack.  You'll soon get to see just how much they expanded on those simple stages in 3D World (there's only like 5 or so).

Man, we're long overdue for a proper, 40 minute Nintendo Direct where they show off a bunch of 1st party titles they have coming out in the future, usually hosted by Koizumi

In the Switch era, this is when we've gotten those:

1. April 12, 2017
  2. June 13, 2017 E3
  3. September 13, 2017

4. March 8, 2018
  5. June 12, 2018 E3
  6. September 13, 2018

7. February 13, 2019
  8. June 11, 2019 E3
  9. September 4, 2019

Since then, we've only gotten "mini" Directs, "Indie" directs, "partner showcases", and single-game directs for stuff like Smash DLC, Animal Crossing, Mario's 35th anniversary celebration, Monster Hunter, Pokemon, etc.

I hope they have a traditional direct in the works - it'd be nice to just get one this year, let alone the old routine of 3 per year!

I beat Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Well, by that I mean I finished Book 3, and the credits rolled again; Seemed like the same credits I saw after beating Book 1, except this time Mario's ship from Odyssey crashed in the distance at the end, and that opened up the "Bonus" book I'll play next.

Then beyond that, I have the paid DLC levels, too!

Thinking about playing either Golf Story or The Mummy Demastered next...

I started the Bonus book and the first few levels were AWESOME, brand new levels that pulled in a ton of ideas and aesthetic from various Mario Oddyssey worlds, they were super cool!

Unfortunately every level since has just been a repeat of an existing Captain Toad level, except I have to bring 3 other toads with me to the exit, or complete it while being chased by a mummy.  That's a bummer.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Unfortunately ever level since has just been a repeat of an existing Captain Toad level, except I have to bring 3 other toads with me to the exist, or complete it while being chased by a mummy.  That's a bummer.

Yep, the Odyssey levels were fantastic.  Then it was just a bunch of recycled content.  Very disappointing DLC.

I don't think this is DLC, this is new stuff added to the Switch port, right?

When I bought the DLC it added another option to the home screen I haven't done yet

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think this is DLC, this is new stuff added to the Switch port, right?

When I bought the DLC it added another option to the home screen I haven't done yet

Oh yeah you're right.  Well get ready for yet more recycled levels in the 'Special Episode' (which is the DLC)!!

Right, the main game had "Book 1" / "Book 2" / "Book 3" / "Bonus" and the DLC added "Special Episode"

I'll do the Special Episode after I finish the "Bonus"

But I'm definitely playing less levels per night now that I'm through the main game

I started playing Golf Story... and it's great!

Golf Story trailer (Nintendo Switch) - YouTube

The gameplay is (so far) incredible simple which is appreciated - walk around and talk to people and find money and objects to use to do other things; Line up your shots and press A at the right time(s) to try to get the ball to land where you want it.  I liked games with complex systems and/or needing fast reflexes but it's nice to balance those out with other fair as well

Golf Story is a delightful RPG — and the golfing isn't bad, either - Polygon

Golf Story (Switch) – Review 'Em All

Beyond the gameplay what really makes the game stand out is the incredibly charming nature of everything in the game, from the graphics to the music to the story to the dialogue.  And beyond that, they do something awesome with the dialogue in this game I've never seen another game do: Basically they do a million little things with the speech bubbles that really make all of it have a bigger impact than it otherwise would.  First, the controller rumbles with every single dialogue bubble, but also the size of the text changes, like it's small if the character is whispering or large if they are shouting, but then sometimes the bubbles actually move or tilt side to side or grow or shrink as the dialogue is filling in to showcase the tone with which they are saying it (and the controller rumbles are altered accordingly) - it's so cool!  Just one of the many polished aspects of the game.

Golf Story review: This game rules - Banner Society

According to How Long To Beat this is a a 15 hour game and I'm about 2-3 hours in so looking forward to what else the game is gonna throw at me - so far I've only played one actual multi-hole competition

Well I beat as much as I could of the Bonus Episode in Captain Toad the other night; Basically all the levels you can open just by having enough gems.  I could tell there were more pages in the book but there was no indication of how to unlock them, so I looked it up yesterday and saw that they unlock if you get the special objective from every level in the main books.  F that!  Maybe if I didn't have a 100 game backlog I'd consider it.

So last night I started the DLC Special Episode.  It was pretty cool, with some levels needing to collect 5 crowns in a time limit, some levels needing to kill Boos with 2 headlights, and some other new ideas.  But then progress was gated behind needing more gems collected in this episode so I dunno if I will go back and get more gems or just move on to my next physical game (still playing Golf Story and Mario Picross as my current digital games)

Golf Story was one of the few good uses of HD Rumble. Most games don't seem to care now. I wonder if that'll change with the PS5's controller having a similar feature or they'll drop that from PS5 games as quickly as they did from Switch games.

Yea, the rumble is that game is so great!

I also liked its use in Mario Odyssey, when you had to find a buried moon by walking over the floor following the increasing vibrations

I beat the Special Episode of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker last night and now I'm done with the game

I thought the special episode (the paid DLC) was pretty good!  Some of the brand new levels were pretty clever (like one where you have to manipulate this giant spinny wheel) and/or had cool new aesthetics (like a s'mores themed level with molten chocolate rising and falling).  The other levels that re-used main game levels but with a new spin (such as having to kill Boos with headlights or collect 5 crowns) were also cool because they felt fresh and not like retreads.

Overall, a very cool game and looking forward to it hopefully getting a sequel one day!

Now onward to more Golf Story and perhaps resuming Breath of the Wild...

Very true. Especially throughout the pandemic, I've derived a lot of joy out of playing Switch games online with my brother out of state. We'd dreamed of having a multiplayer Pikmin game for 16 years, and they finally revealed one in 3 Deluxe!.......but it's only couch co-op.

Nintendo 2020 Q3 Press/ Earnings Release

Games Sales Numbers (in millions)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 33.41
Animal Crossing New Horizons 31.18
Super Smash Bros Ultimate 22.85
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild 21.45
Pokémon Sword and Shield 20.35
Super Mario Odyssey 20.23
Super Mario Party 13.82
Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu!/ Pokémon Let's Go, Eevee! 13.00
Splatoon 2 11.90
New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe 9.82
Luigi's Mansion 3 9.13
Ring Fit Adventure 8.68
Super Mario 3d All-Stars 8.32
Super Mario Maker 2 6.91
Paper Mario: The Origami King 3.02
Clubhouse Game's 51 Worldwide classics 2.60
Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity (Japan not Included) 2.48
Pikmin 3 Deluxe 1.94
Xenoblade Definitive Edition 1.48
Mario Kart: Home Circuit Live 1.08

Switch Hardware is at 79.87 million.

That's A LOT of Switches and A LOT of Mario Kart 8s....

However what really sticks out to me is how incredibly well 3D All Stars sold.  Wow!

EDIT: Oh damn, the Switch has outsold the 3DS now

Million-selling game consoles
Platform Firm Released[2] Units sold Ref.
PlayStation 2 Sony 2000 >155 million [note 1]
Nintendo DS family Nintendo 2004 154.02 million [17]
Game Boy & Game Boy Color Nintendo 1989, 1998 118.69 million [note 2]
PlayStation 4 # Sony 2013 113.5 million [21]
PlayStation Sony 1994 102.49 million [32]
Wii Nintendo 2006 101.63 million [17]
PlayStation 3 Sony 2006 >87.4 million [note 1]
Xbox 360 Microsoft 2005 >84 million [note 3]
Game Boy Advance family Nintendo 2001 81.51 million [17]
PlayStation Portable Sony 2004 80–82 million
(estimate)
[note 1]
Nintendo Switch #hybrid video game console Nintendo 2017 79.87 million [40]
Nintendo 3DS family Nintendo 2011 75.94 million [40]
Nintendo Entertainment System Nintendo 1983 61.91 million [17]
Xbox One # Microsoft 2013 51 million
(estimate)
[note 3]
Super Nintendo Entertainment System Nintendo 1990 49.1 million [17]
Sega Genesis Sega 1988 35 million [note 4][41]
Nintendo 64 Nintendo 1996 32.93 million [17]
Atari 2600 Atari 1977 30 million [42]
Xbox Microsoft 2001 24 million [43]
GameCube Nintendo 2001 21.74 million [17]
Wii U Nintendo 2012 13.56 million [17]

Man I love Golf Story but the ONLY thing about it I don't like (so far) is the disc golf!

I found the disc golfers early and tried to play but the controls for it were so obtuse (after all the controls for the normal golf were so pitch perfect) I quickly gave up. But now my progresss is gated behind having to play with them so I guess I'll have to figure it out.

Funny part is in real life, I play (and am pretty good at) disc golf but don't like regular golf at all!

Finally!  Been waiting on footage of that attraction.

Obviously the 'Augmented Reality' aspects of it won't come across great in a video, but other than that it does seem awfully slow.

As I posed on another crappy Disneyland forum where the majority of posters are nutjobs who want Disneyland to stay closed forever, I think they got the two Mario rides backwards. The slower dark ride should have been the Yoshi ride and the Mario Kart ride should have been flying around the land at high speed the Yoshi ride tracks.