The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS finally

... but.... "focuses on available games"  ..... I don't want a bunch of DLC, I want new games!

LOL, I missed that!

Oh yea, there will absolutely be teasers (probably one to open and one to end) for games coming later

This is great, as I mentioned in this post right here, they haven't done one of these IN 2 YEARS

There's a lot, and I mean A LOT of retro and remastered games already available for the Switch.  You've got 4 years of them adding new games to the store literally every week to catch up on

Confession: what I really want, even more than BOTW2,  is a new 2D Zelda.  Would I settle for another remake (a la Link's Awakening)?  Yes of course, but I don't want Nintendo to let that style die.  2013 was the last new one!

(before someone 'well actually's me, Triforce Heroes doesn't count)

Wow, I can't believe Link Between Worlds is 8 years old already!

I think Link To The Past -> Link's Awakening -> Link Between Worlds is the holy trinity of best and perfect Zelda games, I love all of them to death and find them endlessly replayable and fun every time

I don't know how or why I haven't played Oracle of Ages/Seasons or Minish Cap yet, I really need to rectify that

So hell, yea, sign me up for a new 2D Zelda for sure!

In general, I wish Nintendo was better at making the Switch be a combination of their home console and portable console on the software front;  When Switch first launched and 3DS was still going strong, it made sense all the first party games that came out were big massive games that are in line with what they do for home consoles.  But I want their style of games that were most relegated to GBA, DS, and 3DS to continue strong on Switch, too!  Everything they make doesn't have to be a huge game!

I think the only 2D Zelda I've really loved was Link's Awakening I have only played a handful, but LoZ, AoL, ALttP, and whatever the first DS one was (the one with the boat, not the train) were not for me.  But I hope for you that they put another one out!

5 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I'd like them to release the LucasArts Nintendo Collection with the Rogue Squadrons, Super Star Wars and Shadows of the Empire.

Yeah they put out those three ports on Switch (Episode I Racer and the two Jedi Knight games) and then just stopped for some reason.  I was hoping to see more of those old SW games.

I bet Rogue Squadron and Battle for Naboo really hold up.  For some reason I never really got into the GameCube one.  I really loved SOTE at the time, but I'm not convinced that one would hold up quite as well.  At the time, I held it up there with Goldeneye's single player campaign though.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah they put out those three ports on Switch (Episode I Racer and the two Jedi Knight games) and then just stopped for some reason.  I was hoping to see more of those old SW games.

More of a newer game, but Republic Commando is rumored to be coming.

I played SOTE recently and it holds up. It's not a great game or anything, but it's one of those definitive early N64 games that established that console. Level 1 snow battle is a classic demo stage. 

Yeah, I used to come up with all sorts of imaginary dumb adventures in the areas where there is some limited room to free-roam (the cliffs on the Boba Fett planet, Echo base).  Always did the same in GoldenEye after I cleared the baddies.

I'm not sure they've done the snowspeeder battle better, although I know they've tried.  The later games always try to beef it up with a ton of extra locations and objectives, which makes sense from a video game standpoint, but it's much less simple/pure.

Mostly I just miss when Lucasarts would put out like five games a year and maybe only three of them were good, but at least they experimented with different styles of gameplay.  Being so limited in Star Wars releases means that they alienate fans who don't care for the current release (i.e. fans who don't care for multiplayer when they released Battlefront) and don't get money from those fans for at least a year or two when the next game comes out.  Give me a dumb Yoda's Desktop Adventure any day.  Dumb card collection smartphone apps don't do it for me.

I actually quite like SOTE in its entirety, including the train level which was ripped off in that crappy Solo movie, the really long canyon level that went on for an hour and ended with Boba Fett and the maligned speeder level. 

I dug it all at the time, and probably would again.  If I had nits to pick with it today, playing it fresh with 20 years of distance, I'd imagine t would probably be little things like the kinda weightless jumping.  Very fun game.

The floaty controls were rather shitty. There were some preposterous jumps and weird chicken walker fights where you had to run behind it while it kept turning, jetpack running out of fuel and those awful swimming bits that were impossible to figure out and you just sort of shot the gun rapidly and kept hitting B.

I could probably own this Nintendo Switch for years and only play RCT3.

We are now less than hour before the start of festivities for the afternoon. It has been roughly 531 days and 22 hours since we last received a full Nintendo Direct. That is the longest gap between full Nintendo Direct presentations since Nintendo first started producing them in October 2011. In that amount of time, over 600 games have been released for the Nintendo Switch, and we've had 22 separate Direct presentations in various formats.

https://www.reddit.com/live/16i3888lr62uf

I somehow hadn't realized they started as far back as 2011.

That makes them taking 2020 off entirely from doing them even more significant!

Here we........... go!

Xenoblade 2 music!  I recognize it immediately!  A second DLC?  Xenoblade 3?

Ah, just a Smah Bros character.  Meh

At least it will expose more people to the great music!

Takahashi is hosting

Falls Guys is coming to Switch - no surprise there

The Outer Wilds is coming to Switch!  Kind of surprising considering its graphics

Wow, they are localizing some Famicom Detective Club games!  Didn't see that coming.  They are full HD remakes too.  Drops in May

Samurai Warriors 5 - meh

WOW!!!!!!  Legend of Mana HD remake!!!!!!!  Gorgeous sprite art!

Re-arranged music and the original music too

Monster Hunter Rise footage - meh

A new Mario Golf game!  Mario Golf Super Rush!

Ha Speed Golf mode looks super fun for playing with others in your living room

Wow, they are bringing back MIIS for this!?

Tales form the Borderlands - meh

Capcom Arcade Classics - some great games here, but this is overpriced

Stubbs The Zombie - wtf

No More Heroes 3 - i still have never played this series

Neon White - not for me

DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power - cool for children

Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborvlle - not for me

Miitopia - WTF!?!?!

I never would have that that 2021 would see the return of Miitopia and Miis in general.  Wow.

Animal Crossing - Super Mario themed items being added.  

HOLY cow the Animal Criossing versions of Mario, Wario, and Luigi look ridiculous

Octopath Traveler folllowup!!  IT looks even better than Octopath did!  Ooh, it's a tactical RPG!

Project Triangle Strategy.  Neat!

coming 2022

Wow - demo available today!!

Star Wars game...... Star Wars Hunters. Doesn't really explain what it is.  Oh "competitive online game set between episodes 6 and 7".  Huh.

Knockout City - no thank you

World's End Club - nah

Hades physical release - no surprise there

Ninja Gaiden Master Collection - no surprise, this leaked this afternoon

Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity Expansion Pass - I wasn't planning on picking up this game after hearing about all the performance issues.  this didn't even really explain what the expansion pass adds

Bravely Default II - looks amazing

Ghosts N Goblins Resurrection - I think these graphics are cheesy looking.  Looks like a 90s flash game.  The originals were never favorites of mine anyway

SaGa Frontier remastered - Neat!

Apex Legends - not for me

Eiji Aonuma is part of this!  LOL!  The first thing he does is apologize for not having anything to show for BOTW 2.  Promises more information is coming later this year.  To me, this means the game itself is certainly not coming this year.

Holy shit, Skyward Sword HD!

They're keeping the motion controls, using joycons

Ah, they are letting you use more traditional controls too!  The right stick controls how to swing the sword.  Interesting!

I will be buying Mario Golf, Skyward Sword HD, and Splatoon 3 (pending more news about single player).

Splatoon is TONS of fun but I just don’t play online games.  I really enjoyed my time with the first two though.  The single player modes were like 3D platformers

Did you find the single player mode in 1 and 2 lacking, or have any reason to think they are scaling back the single player experience for 3?

So, 2021 and beyond games published by Nintendo list is:

Feb 12 - Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

Feb 26 - Bravely Default II

April 30 - New Pokemon Snap

May 14 - Famicom Detective Club 1 & 2

May 21 - Miitopia

June - Age of Calamity Expansion Pass Wave 1

June 25 - Mario Golf: Super Rush

July 16 - Skyward Sword HD

November - Age of Calamity Expansion Pass Wave 2

2022 - Splatoon 3

no date - Metroid Prime 4

no date - Bayonetta 3

no date - Breath of the Wild 2

no date - Detective Pikachu

rumored to be "very close to completion" in 2015 - Pikmin 4

Hopefully an E3 direct in June sheds light on what we're getting from them in the second half of 2021!

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity Expansion Pass - I wasn't planning on picking up this game after hearing about all the performance issues.  this didn't even really explain what the expansion pass adds

Honestly while I have noticed some slowdown here and there, to me it was fine, it wasn't gamebreaking, no worse than a lot of other Switch games even some SNES online games IMHO.

Call me an apologist I guess lol

Just doesn't look like I'd get $60 worth of enjoyment out of it tbh.

Maybe if I can find it for $40, or a $60 version with all DLC included and performance issues fixed comes out for a Switch Pro or the Switch's successor, I'll check it out then.

From all accounts it won't affect the plot of BOTW2 at all so I won't feel like I'm missing out I don't think.

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Just doesn't look like I'd get $60 worth of enjoyment out of it tbh.

Maybe if I can find it for $40, or a $60 version with all DLC included and performance issues fixed comes out for a Switch Pro or the Switch's successor, I'll check it out then.

From all accounts it won't affect the plot of BOTW2 at all so I won't feel like I'm missing out I don't think.

I haven't heard anything about performance issues, and haven't noticed anything horrible while playing myself. Where was this from?

Every Nintendo podcast I listened to mentioned performance issues, IE slowdown when there's lots of enemies on the screen

Project Triangle Strategy Demo

I checked this out last night.  It's such a poorly constructed demo!

You fire it up and after choosing your camera controls, it begins with not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 long cutscenes in a row before you finally get control and get to play the thing.  Why would they do that for a demo!?

Then there's barely any tutorial / explaining how to play the damn thing.  It just kind of assumes you've already played Final Fantasy Tactics or a Fire Emblem game I guess.  I moved a bunch of characters around a grid, sometimes I could attack a bad guy sometimes not, eventually they killed one of my guys, and I got a game over.

And that was that, for me.

It looked gorgeous, though.

I dunno, Octopath Traveler was pretty straight forward.  

Modern RPGs do tend to have way more complicated combat systems than the golden era of RPGs though