The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Is there a controversy about GameExplain now?  I had no idea.  I think this is the first video of theirs I've even come across in years

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is there a controversy about GameExplain now?  I had no idea.  I think this is the first video of theirs I've even come across in years

On 1/14/2021 at 1:23 PM, Disco Stu said:

Oooooh, GameXplain exposé

Underpaid and overworked contractors working for their Youtuber overlord!

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvx555/former-workers-allege-youtube-gamexplain-was-exploitative-workplace

On 1/14/2021 at 1:26 PM, Jay said:

Oh that's sad to read, I used to like a lot of their videos.  Haven't seen any in a while for whatever reason

The disturbingly deep-voiced British guy does Youtube videos for Nintendo Life now.  Such as this for example:

And a bunch of the guys who quit GameXplain and were interviewed for that exposé started a new channel called Good Vibes Gaming

https://www.youtube.com/user/NomComms

As stated to you at least twice already, you have 4 years worth of great games already out that you can catch up on, the games coming out in the next 6 months don't really matter

If I just bought my Switch today, I'd probably spend more time over the next 2 years playing games that were released between 2017-2020 than games coming out in 2021 and beyond

There don't seem to be many I would even consider playing. There's not enough free time anyway. The N64 was the last time I wanted all the games coming out for a Nintendo console.

At some point, the tide really changed and third party games became incredibly childish and Nintendo started putting out some real crap like Mario and Sonic Play the Olympics. The apples has fallen far from the tree.

Nintendo has always made games for kids and games for everyone

In the past 20 years of Nintendo, they've released some of the greatest video games ever made

• Metroid Prime (2002)
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Winder Waker (2002)
  • Metroid: Zero Mission (2004)
  • Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
  • Super Mario 3D Land (2011)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds (2013)
  • Super Mario 3D World (2013)
  • Mario Kart 8 (2014)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
  • Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

If you're looking for Nintendo 64 style games, there's plenty on the Switch

Liked Banjo-Kazooie?  There's Yooka-Laylee

Liked Star Fox 64?  There's Starlink: Battle for Atlas

Liked Donkey Kong 64?  There's Tropical Freeze

Liked Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask?  There's Breath of the Wild

Liked Mario 64?  There's Mario Odyssey

Liked Mario Kart 64? There's Mario Kart 8

Liked Mario Party?  There's Super Mario Party

Liked Super Smash Bros.?  There's Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

etc

8 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Seems like a lot of these games are ports.

I don't know what you mean by this.  In my first list of great Nintendo games, none of those are ports.

In my second list of N64-ish games on the Switch, two of them are ports of Wii U games (Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8) but since you didn't have a Wii U, they are new to you, so what's the difference?

8 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

They never made a 3D sequel to DK64

You're right, I was mixing up Donkey Kong 64 with Donkey Kong Returns

However, Yooka-Laylee is a similar experience:

And there's also New Super Lucky's Tale

and they never get any cool Bond games anymore like the 64 had.

Aye, there really isn't any spiritual successor to Goldeneye 64 and Perfect Dark.  The 1st person shooter genre has really moved on a lot from that style

Closest you can get on the Switch is Doom, Wolfenstein II, and stuff like Overwatch and Borderlands I guess

IIRC there's a free demo one can try before investing in a purchase.  There was one for Impossible Lair anyway, which I played and was great - almost a completely different game from the first

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Do not play Yooka Laylee unless you want to have tons of fun.

FTFY.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

As stated to you at least twice already, you have 4 years worth of great games already out that you can catch up on, the games coming out in the next 6 months don't really matter

If I just bought my Switch today, I'd probably spend more time over the next 2 years playing games that were released between 2017-2020 than games coming out in 2021 and beyond

I got my Switch day 1 and I'm STILL playing Breath of the Wild, collecting Korok Seeds.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I've put 200+ hours into that game and loved every minute of it

Playing in the world is what makes it so good. Even something as monotonous and padded as korok seeds is still a great challenge because it forces unique creativity to GET there. 

Also, big plus one from me for New Super Lucky's Tale.

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

There was one for Impossible Lair anyway, which I played and was great - almost a completely different game from the first

Yeah Impossible Lair is a fun game!  Yooka-Laylee: Tropical Freeze!

I wasn't confused about the thumbs up at all.  To me, the one with the winking face is meant to imply something completely different than a stock thumbs up.  I had no idea what a winky face would imply in terms of a score being good or not though, which is why I asked

Super Mario 3D World

Finally took off the shrinkwrap and played World 1 of this last night!

Boy, it took me a while to get used to the 3D Land style controls again, after the way more open and smooth Odyssey controls.  After I breezed through 1-1, I actually died a ton of times on 1-2 constantly thinking I was jumping on a koopa only to land next to him instead.  Overall I was impressed with the difficult as I went through the whole world, I was expecting something easier for some reason.

It was fun to see the origins of stuff I know from later games (Mario Odyssey, Mario Maker 2, Captain Toad), and at the same time see how the took the core of 3D Land and expanded on it greatly for HD and TV gaming.

The cat powerup is a bit OP, and it' kinda surprising you get it right away in 1-1 (I love how in Mario World you don't even get the cape till world 2).  I also like how the fireballs bounce around and don't destroy a sheel so you can use them to help get it.

The first boss fight against Bowser in the car was goofy fun.

Looking forward to playing through this whole game!

Just don’t let anyone convince you the multiplayer is even worth trying.  It is a garbage way to play a platformer.  Single player 3D world is in contention for my favorite non SMW Mario game.

I had no intention of playing this or any game multiplayer.  My wife doesn't game and when I hang out with my friends we don't really play video games together.

Though back in the day before we were all married, that was a great time;  Goldeneye and Perfect Dark in college, Halo after college, etc.  And of course all the great NES and SNES games I played with friends and/or my brother constantly.

But nowadays, I'm a solo gamer

10 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Wait why?

You're always bumping into each other, getting in each other's ways, and one person dying all the time usually pisses off the other while the better player annoys the newer player for going too fast.

1 minute ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Galactic Mario had this ridiculous coop where only one player was playing and the other collected coins or some crap. Stupid!

Well that’s at least less obtrusive.  It’s good for my 6 yo to feel like she’s helping out while I play the game 

Yeah, that as co-op is actually a great idea for kids or friends/loved ones who suck at games but still want to play with you.

Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Returns/Tropical Freeze are examples of nightmare co-op games. I thought I could play Mario and Donkey Kong co-op with my wife and she just got super pissed and never wanted to play together again.

3D world worked great for my spouse and me co-op back when we got the Wii-U, and it’s working great for my 5-year old.  She’s getting the mechanics down and if it is too hard or she gets too far behind, she can just pop into a bubble and fly to me.

What are your thoughts on any changes compared to the Wii U version?  Do you think the speed increase is unequivocally an improvement?  Any other changes you noticed?

I haven't played since that first session, but I set up a proper sound system for our basement TV this weekend so hopefully that will compell me to game more.  For the most part I have barely played anything in the past month or so

I did finally get past the disc golf part of Golf Story though

~

Any JWFanners picking these up?

Nintendo Switch Joy-Con L/R The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Edition - image 1 of 6

https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-switch-joy-con-l-r-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-hd-edition/-/A-82493734