The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

5 minutes ago, Darth Wojo said:

Swinging sword and shield independently. Using the controllers to draw the bowstring. 

That's cool!

5 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

The Switch has a terrible controller 

The Joy-Cons feel uncomfortable and clunky to me, and will get drift eventually while no matter what you do, but the Pro Controller is one of the best controllers I've ever used for any system

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAWKYZ0/

https://www.target.com/p/-/A-52180631

Playing Picross is the only time I ever use my joy-con because it's the only time I ever play in handheld mode.  Everything else I play on the TV.  The new Zelda joy-con look nice but they'd be an unjustifiable splurge considering the drift issue.  I'm not buying any new joy-con until that issue is resolved in a way that doesn't involve me shipping the controller off to Nintendo repair.

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

unjustifiable splurge considering the drift issue.  I'm not buying any new joy-con until that issue is resolved in a way that doesn't involve me shipping the controller off to Nintendo repair.

This. 

The drift issue is completely inexcusable

The joycons that came with my day 1 Switch now have drift in both sticks, for a while it was just the left

Luckily my Pro Controller has no drift issues at all (yet, I suppose)

From what I know all controllers have potential to drift at some point, but the JoyCons have an unacceptable level or something.

And no other posts in between that one from 4 pages ago and now are worth commenting on? You have no thoughts on anything in the Direct, 3D World, Bowser's Fury, Ghostbusters, or Golf Story? 

Finally got a second session of 3D World in last night and breezed through World 2.  Holy hell, I thought the double/triple/quadruple cherries were chaotic in Captain Toad - it's nothing on this!  Add fireballs and bigger areas to the mix and it gets pretty nuts pretty quick!  Super fun.

I'm finding the stamps in most levels but usually miss a green star or two.  I can already tell I'll be going back to get everything after I roll credits

They're easy to miss, but for the most part not too hard to get!  Excellent replay value.

I find myself blowing past a lot of places that might have stars or stamps while I'm playing with my kid, because when I play with her, the level timer actually imposes a threat for the first time in many many years.

I've already thought some of the places they've been tucked away in were incredibly clever!  Like one level you use the touchscreen to raise some platforms and I noticed one of them had no floor after raising so of course you go into it and there's one.  Another one was a really cool level that played with shadows and when you get to the door at the end I noticed there was a small opening in the wall just past it, so I went in and there was a Toad cowering behind a mighty bowser, only when you walk towards the camera you realized its a plywood cutoff you can knock over.  I love this stuff

And in addition to going back for the green stars/stamps, there are like three more worlds of levels after the end credits.  By the very end some of those are like in Captain Toad, where previous levels are remixed for harder challenges, but there are a lot of new new levels in the post game.  Just a helluva lot of fun to be had.

Excellent!

I don't regret my $60 purchase at all

Especially considering I have Bowser's Fury too on top of all this!

3D World is kinda a better game than Odyssey. It just got a ton of crap at the time because it was a console version of a handheld game in concept. People look down on it for that.

The level designer is way tighter, the music much better, visually more comfortable, and it's a much more enjoyable challenge when it gets tough. 

Oh yea I forgot to mention that, I've been loving the music so far!

The main title card theme is a total earworm

I think Galaxy edges it out for me, maybe because of what it meant to me at the time. 3D World is SO good, though. I might even come back to it as a CD more than I do Galaxy.

Also, for those who haven't seen the soundtrack cover:

image.png

I think the early worlds of Odyssey are not the stronger part of the game as a whole. 

Once you get to the New York City inspired world, everything really takes off, IMO

That's always the world I think about when I think of not that interesting levels in Odyssey, though it should have been more interesting because it's not like the usual desert levels in Mario games.

That's the thing with Odyssey. Half the levels are super cool, original, and brilliant (like the dinosaur world, the steam garden world, Metro Kingdom obviously, and even Bowser's world), and some are just who cares like a generic water levels, generic snow levels, etc. 

Also, didn't the Bowser level do that ancient Japan thing which was just done for a regular level in 3D World or am I misremembering? 

I hadn't occurred to me until a podcast brought it up that with the last two Mario Golf games (Advance Tour and World Tour) being for the GBA and 3DS, the last console Mario Golf game was Toadstool Tour for the Gamecube.

WTH?  How did Nintendo not make a Mario Golf game for the Wii during the absolute height of motion control gaming!?  There were of course lots of other successful golf games for the Wii, but no Mario Golf... how did they drop the ball (heh) on this!?

I have a group of friends elsewhere grumbling about 3D World for the difficulty in gauging depth while jumping (and not being able to significantly adjust the camera to help with that).  

I agree to some extent, although for the most part I've adjusted after 3.5 worlds.  Some jumps (especially from one small platform to another) are really difficult in that regard, though!

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

grumbling about 3D World for the difficulty in gauging depth while jumping

I ran into that problem too, right away on World 1-2 - lost a ton of lives just trying to jump on a Koopa but landing next to him instead.

I never had that happen last night, so I guess I picked up the right muscle memory quick

I think the problem IS the perspective, but you gotta understand why they went with that perspective in the first place.

3D Land was coming off of a time when Nintendo was getting feedback about how hard their 3D games were to play for casual gamers. Side scrollers are really popular and easy for a beginner gamer to play. They were trying to find a compromise where they could still have a full blown 3D experience while not alienating people. You also saw this in how Galaxy 2 opened where it started as a side scroller and slowly opened up into full 3D.

Now, is a more controllable camera preferable for 3D Mario games? Hell yeah, but they were trying to really test out what works and doesn't work. Notice how Odyssey and Bowser's Fury play. Not like 3D Land and World...

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I hadn't occurred to me until a podcast brought it up that with the last two Mario Golf games (Advance Tour and World Tour) being for the GBA and 3DS, the last console Mario Golf game was Toadstool Tour for the Gamecube.

WTH?  How did Nintendo not make a Mario Golf game for the Wii during the absolute height of motion control gaming!?  There were of course lots of other successful golf games for the Wii, but no Mario Golf... how did they drop the ball (heh) on this!?

I'm sure they considered it. They probably didn't want it to compete with all the other motion control sports games out there.

Toadstool Tour is awesome, by the way.

I've never played a Mario Golf game before at all!  Or any Mario sports game I don't think.

I'm quite enjoying Golf Story on the Switch though, which I understand takes a lot of inspiration from the series

I'm on level 7 of Super Mario Picross too, incidentally.  It's getting a bit boring now that they are all 15x15 and of similar difficulty to each other.  There's no more progression.  Also there only being 3 music cues means I'm now sick of all of them so I might start playing that while listening to my own music or a podcast

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

Also there only being 3 music cues means I'm not sick of them so I might start playing while listening to music or a podcast

I assume that was supposed to be a "now"?

Played through World 3 of Super Mario 3D World last night.  Holy hell, this game is SO FULL of imagination and inventiveness!  I cannot believe how many new ideas they tuck into every single level!  I thought the same thing about Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, but it's even more of a thing here.  Most impressive, EAD

The snow level was super fun, the level with the moving platforms was super fun, getting a racoon tail for the first time (did I just miss one in World 1 or World 2?) was super fun, the bullet bill head is fun.... the boss stage on the train was fun, then there was a surprise second boss again some snakes who came up out of the ground with plates on their heads!

I can't believe how many stars I miss going through each level the first time, I might end up spending more time in this game after rolling credits than before

That's actually my one complaint i have about this game: I wish they had taken out the timer.  One of the best things Odyssey did for the franchise was dropping lives and dropping the timer and just letting you explore everything at your own will.

Sometimes I'm enjoying the hell out of a level in 3D World, and then the little timer fanfare goes off and I feel compelled to rush to the end.  Unnecessary!

Played some Golf Story last night too and am really getting back in the swing of things (heh) now.  Lots of new areas opening up and tons of new sidequests to do - and they are all fun!

They game is full of funny, clever dialogue and story moments, which is great.  At one point I was thwacking zombies with golf balls last night!

Can't wait to see where this game goes next!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

getting a racoon tail for the first time (did I just miss one in World 1 or World 2?)

I don't believe it was built into any levels default, but you could have gotten it from a mushroom house.  If you die a certain number of times in a row without completing a level, you are also given a golden raccoon power-up which is just like the regular raccoon except it also has invincibility  (I saw this quite a bit before world 3 playing with a 5-year-old).

The weird power-ups are so fun - the ice skate in the snow world, the one that makes you constantly shoot bullets, the one that makes you a spinny flying guy, etc.

Yea I never use those "we saw you died 5 times, so here's some help to finish" things they always put in these games