The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Yeah, I realized around 2015 that I've been reading and barely posting since 2005 or so so I've been trying to make up for it.

Labo is awesome. If you like playing with things like Lego or other such activities like model building, its a little like that. Then it's just applications of those cardboard builds. It's fun, as long as you don't expect AAA game gameplay.

Fitness Boxing my wife mostly plays. She likes it a lot and it's a great pairing with....

Ring Fit Adventure, which is freaking brilliant. We both play this one. It's a fitness game in RPG form, with stat increases, leveling up, etc. It literally does make working out fun. It'll kick your ass too. I've hurt myself and sweated a puddle playing it.

When Switch first came around I was getting a little worried that they'd be sacrificing creativity for just pleasing fans and that's it, but then you look at games like Ring Fit, Labo, and Mario Kart Home Circuit and you realize Nintendo is just as creative and innovative as they were during the Wii years (which I'm pretty sure I appreciated more than most people, especially looking back on that era now).

Thanks for that!

I actually got one of the Labo kit for Christmas (TWO Christmases ago now!) and we have yet to put it together.  You'd think lockdown time would have been the perfect opportunity, but it just hasn't happened yet!  S'weird.  Hopefully this will motivate me to do it soon!

I had Ring Fit Adventure on my Christmas wish list for last year, but didn't get it.  I keep thinking I should just buy it anyway; I've gained weight since lockdowns started and in general would like to be in better shape, and I think I'd enjoy this.  I heard multiple enthusiastic reviews on various podcasts.  I think I'd like it

Are you a Splatoon guy?  I tried it a few times and couldn't get into it

Splatoon is a weird game. I feel like I'm too old for it. It's a younger skewing game, not because it's for kids, but its very online multiplayer focused.

The single player is super fun so for the last two I've picked it up just for that. It's creative, got great style, plays really well, and is just entertaining overall. Highly recommended. 

9 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Splatoon is a weird game. I feel like I'm too old for it. It's a younger skewing game, not because it's for kids, but its very online multiplayer focused.

The single player is super fun so for the last two I've picked it up just for that. It's creative, got great style, plays really well, and is just entertaining overall. Highly recommended. 

Yeah I think the single player is worth checking out as like a 3D platformer of sorts.  Jay, I think Splatoon 2 is definitely worth picking up for that experience.... if they ever put on sale (which does happen *occasionally*, especially by retailers for the physical copies).

I probably forgot to mention it

I'm definitely willing to give it a chance

Like others I have no interest in multiplayer but am intrigued by the single player campaign, despite early attempts at the gameplay (an in-store demo of 1, the limited free download demo for 2) not wowwing me

In a Best Buy or Walmart or whatever it was I played the single player campaign of Splatoon 1 for a bit

The free demo of Splatoon 2 was a multiplayer demo yea

I know Splatoon 1 had a similar demo to the 2 one. The single player is really what I liked. That was the best part about 2, the expansion was more single player stuff. Great style with the subway stuff too.

From everything I've heard about that DLC, it's tailor made exactly for you: a length single player campaign.  

Welp, gang, it was a rainy day and I ordered a physical copy of the soon-to-be pointlessly OOP rare collector's item Mario 3D All-Stars only for Mario 64. I also bought a digital copy of Mario Kart, the game that was transformed from an exciting racing game into a bizarre incredibly slow-moving Japanese Universal Studios attraction where you have to share virtual reality goggles in a pandemic. I tried playing Mario Odyssey again and it's fucking terrible. Mario 64 has a wonky camera, but it's clearly the greatest 3D Mario game of all time and I'd rather throw that one on for the occasional platforming. 

20210315_160832.jpg

Mario 64 is a definitive game. It may be the same old shit since '96, but it's the same old great shit. I didn't mind Mario Galaxy and to be honest, it was better than what I've played of Odyssey.

20210316_191517.jpg

It's just like the Universal Studios ride, only fast and exciting and not requiring you to share a VR Headset with a bunch of Japanese people who tested positive for the Coronavirus!

Those pictures at the top of this page has had me going through my entire game collection to see what I have and don't have.

I couldn't finish counting them all this weekend. There was too much.

I have two shelves of a media cabinet of physical (with cases) PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, PS4, Switch, 3DS, and PC games

+ two Gamecube disc sleeve cases, some GB/GBC/GBA games scattered in a few trays, a case of DS games, a few games I bought used in my 3DS case, and some digital games (Steam, PS4, Wii, Wii U, Switch)

I'd love it if Breath of the Wild 2 and Metroid Prime 4 are games that make use of better than than the Switch, which is 2016 tech - 5 years old already!