The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Fenyx is not bad. A decent appetiser while we wait for Breath of the Wild 2, but doesn't come close to Nintendo's craft. I didn't much like the combat until a good halfway into it, and the voice acting ranges from irritating to inspid. Also there's too many items to collect, I'm not a fan of that. But the art style is lovely, the world is fun to explore for a bit, and I liked the Vaults (aka Shrines), though most of them were too long and lacked the brevity of Zelda's finest puzzles.

So E3 is back as a digital event this year with the participation of Nintendo and Xbox but not Sony (which was also the case for the last in-person E3).  BOTW2 babeeeeee

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-04-06-nintendo-xbox-and-ubisoft-back-digital-only-e3-2021

lol, that's the same article I already posted to the video game thread

Anyway, They're not going to show off BOTW2 until Skyward Sword is out IMO

I'd be a little surprised if we didn't get BOTW2 as the holiday game. Breath of the Wild was announced in 2013 or so, if I remember correctly, and came out in 2017. That was while trying to figure out the entirely new direction and building the world and the engine. We're that far out again for a game that's supposed to be a sequel and would presumably use a lot of the same assets, or at least engine, as the first. 

Oh, yea I think it's extremely likely to be a holiday 2021 or March 2022 game, but I don't think NIntendo will spend a lot of time at E3 promoting it, because they have Skyward Sword dropping this July.  I think after that media cycle is over they'll begin hyping BOTW2

Yeah but SS is a re-release. They're not going to go all out on an E3 presentation. The best way to market it would be "Oh we got Breath 2 coming this holiday, but if you need something to tide yourself over until then, play Skyward Sword this summer!" 

Yea, I'm not saying it won't be mentioned at all, but I think a deep dive into it will come later in the year, not at e3

Here's the post-e3 1st party Switch games that have been announced already

• June 25 - Mario Golf: Super Rush
  • July 16 - Skyward Sword HD
  • November - Age of Calamity Expansion Pass Wave 2
  • Late 2021 - Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl
  • Early 2022 - Pokémon Legends: Arceus
  • 2022 - Splatoon 3
  • no date - Metroid Prime 4
  • no date - Bayonetta 3
  • no date - Breath of the Wild 2
  • no date - Detective Pikachu
  • rumored to be "very close to completion" in 2015 - Pikmin 4

The big "headline game" of e3 could be something they haven't even announced yet.... if it's one of these games, it'd have to be BOTW 2, or that and Splatoon 3 as equal headline games.  I doubt Metroid Prime 4 has anything to show yet.

I still wonder what would have been their headline game had e3 last year not been canceled

I think last year would have been a Mario blowout. They got delayed because of working from home and then wanted to wait a little longer. They would've shown 3D All Stars, 3D World, Mario 35, Game and Watch, Mario Kart, etc. 

They probably would have also shown Age of Calamity. 

On 3/23/2021 at 10:33 PM, Darth Wojo said:

I highly recommend Immortals Fenyx Rising. It's a lot of fun. 

This game is definitely the best sleeper hit of 2020. The story is a blast and hiding the pretty factual lore behind two bantering narrators was genious. I personally give this game a 8.5/10.

I barely play this thing but I don't have much time and I guess I always figured it'd be an occasional distraction. I did get up to 70 stars in Mario 64. Some of those stars are hard as hell mostly due to unseeable camera angles and what seems to be completely un-play-tested poor programming. 

I haven't played my Switch in a month and a half!

I was greatly enjoying 3D World and Golf Story, but I found a new distraction: I'm finally playing Final Fantasy VII for the first time ever, so that's the only game I've played for the past month and a half (and I'm only 22 hours into it over that month and a half).  Spring time means less game time!

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I barely play this thing but I don't have much time and I guess I always figured it'd be an occasional distraction. I did get up to 70 stars in Mario 64. Some of those stars are hard as hell mostly due to unseeable camera angles and what seems to be completely un-play-tested poor programming. 

It always seemed easy enough to get those 120? Stars when I was a kid.  With enough distance, it’s always fun to go back to these formative games and see the ways that they were a bit clunky (usually because they innovated something and the years/decades have smoothed or perfected it)

Yea Mario 64 has 120 stars in total.  I never got them all (but I did beat the game)

God himself could not make me get those last few stars from Rainbow Ride and the last flying one.  Thanks but no thanks, those are shit.  I did it as a kid when I didn’t care that they were shit though.

I was talking to mstrox, who responded to my achievements of 70 stars with a couple hours of spare time play with "Well, those 120 stars are easy and take no time all, as Mario 64 is a baby's toy."

Sorry, I didn’t mean that!  I assumed given your strong feelings about 64 that you were in the same boat as I was, having played it excessively while young.  N64 didn’t even come out until I was 12 or 13, so I was playing a bit fast and loose with the definition of “kid” I guess.  I suspect that if I replayed it for the first time in like 20 years, I would share your frustrations and do what you and Stu are doing - just doing what’s fun/possible and then stopping.

I have no use for a Switch Lite, but damn that Gamecube purple is a sexy handheld. 

I apparently have a thing with seeing this shade as purple not blue.  For years I called the spiky shell in Mario Kart the "purple shell" because that's just how it looks to me.

hqdefault.jpg

I'd describe that Switch Lite as being purple as well

I always remember calling those blue shells though.  Aren't they titled that in-game?

There actually are at least a couple of Where's Waldo type games on the Switch.  This game seems to have that aesthetic but is more interactive and puzzle based than a scavenger hunt, which is what makes it so intriguing (along with the great visuals).  At least, I hope there's more to it than that.  Hence "waiting on reviews" :P 

Now this is something you don't see often: an interview with a retiring veteran Nintendo developer.  In this case, Takaya Imamura, who worked at Nintendo from 1989 to 2021.  This interview is filled with amazing anecdotes and quotes, a must-read for all Nintendo fans!

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-man-who-invented-majoras-mask-reflects-on-30-years-at-nintendo

That's probably more than I ever got!

Actually, I still have my original cartridge , I could plug in my N64 and check...