The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Yes, he is quoting that scene on purpose (and because of the conversation he had with Troxie a couple pages ago)

2 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Everyone should be required to have obtained 120 stars to post in this thread. 

I got all 242 stars in Galaxy 2 back in 2012, if that counts.

I’m playing through Galaxy 2 slowly with my kid right now (she’ll take the reins until she gets frustrated and then take the useless P2 Star bits shooter for the rest of it.  I don’t remember much about Galaxy so I can’t compare, but it’s v fun! 

Getting 100% in Odyssey sounds awful.

I think Mario 64 might be the only 3D-era-or-later Mario game I’ve gotten 100% in, back in my tweens.  I wanted to go to the top of the castle! Maybe the only games I’ve 100%ed since then have been Lego Harry Potter and Lego LOTR/Hobbit.

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Getting 100% in Odyssey sounds awful

I did it once to say I did it, and it's 99% really fun IMO.  It gets unfun when you have to do the jump rope and volleyball ones.

6 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Those minigames remind me of Wario Ware Smooth Moves.

We're long overdue for a Smooth Moves 2.

I had to come to terms with the fact that they jumped ship to Rhythm Heaven years ago...and now I have to come to terms that they haven't been making those, either!

19 hours ago, Jay said:

I remember Scratch!

I was using Scratch with my students just the other day, and definitely made the connection with the video. Its a good tool to get people to get the very basic ideas of coding and how to give the computer commands to implement. 

And yesterday's Nintendo Voice Chat podcast episode likened Game Builder Garage to Scratch as well!

I think the success of that will depend largely on how easy it is to share your games with others, and how easy it is to find cool games to try out.  Friend codes need to go away

20 years ago this week, Miyamoto revealed the Gamecube in LA at E3 2001

nnvqrndb7cy61.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

Man, that Melee trailer/opening sequence really holds up! Amazing music and great graphics, it was the perfect thing to show to hype up the Gamecube.

It's crazy how fast that time is gone. Wind Waker is already 18 years old!!!

Somehow the fact that the GameCube is approaching 20 years old is more weird to me than the fact that the NES is approaching 40 years old

Yea I guess that's what I mean.  There kept being huge leaps in technology and game design from the Atari era through the Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 era

From that point until now, it's really been a series of smaller advancements continually rather than sea changes like then

People have done amazing things to Gamecube and Wii games via the Dolphin emulator

That's the thing. Those emulators don't do all that much. They just display at a higher resolution but it's still all the same visuals. Or they'll force widescreen which is just making the game show a wider area of view. The visuals are all the same.

16 hours ago, Falco said:

Well, they do allow for texture packs IIRC.

Yep, playing OOT and Majora's Mask with some of the fan made texture packs is a great experience and makes it hard to go back to the originals.  As someone who didn't like the 3DS changes made to the remakes, playing the Gamecube versions with texture packs is the happy medium of updated graphics mixed with the classic gameplay of those games.