The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Speaking of GB / GBC / GBA carts, I recently heard about this thing on a podcast and it sounds pretty dope:

https://www.epilogue.co/product/gb-operator

I read elsewhere it can backup roms as well, so I think I might get one.

Nope. I have a GB Pocket, OG GBA, DS Lite, 3DS XL, N64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch.

When I was in college my brother traded in our OG NES and SNES :(

However, I still have all the boxes for our SNES stuff - the console and a ton of game boxes, the oversized Mario Paint box included.  The Super Scope box is gone somehow though...

RIP

There were two models of GBA SP. The first was a backlight, which was fine, but when they came out with the revision of it, which wasn't shaped any differently, it had screens that were a lot more like the DS lite. I know a ton of people didn't know there were two versions of backlight so I wasn't sure if you were comparing to that. 

I won't be buying a Switch OLED but will buy the Switch's successor, or a "Switch Pro" if they do one, right away

I haven't been able to start it yet, but I'm glad to see that Dread apparently only takes like 10 hours to beat.  In my opinion, the best Metroidvanias err on the side of the brevity.

I'm having a lot of fun playing Dread, although I'm currently stuck at a boss (died 4 times now trying to defeat it).  It reminds me of A Link Between Worlds in one important respect: as soon as I started playing it just felt so good to control the main character.

A Link Between Worlds is one of my favorite Zelda games! Such a great followup to Link To The Past and Link's Awakening, I just loved it

My Switch arrived at the store… I'll probably pick it up on Wednesday, before leaving for Berlin early on Thursday (I have to pick it up by the end of the week). I don't even have games for it yet, nor time to buy any this week.

I've started playing "The Forgotten City" via cloud gaming on my Switch. It's an original mystery/adventure game based on a Skyrim mod that the developer released to critical acclaim some years back, but now set in Ancient Rome instead of Tamriel. I have to say it's pretty fantastic. Basically your character has been transported to an ancient and forgotten Roman city inside a mountain, where no-one can (seemingly) get in or out, and you have to unravel the mysteries of the citizens, uncover conspiracies and try to prevent cataclysm while being trapped in an endless time loop. I've been replaying a lot of classic adventure games lately and this is really scratching my itch. There's very little action and there's not a huge amount of puzzles (so far); the strategy comes from the enormous amount of choices (and combinations therein) you can make in each loop that uncover more clues and how you use those clues to gain more evidence and further choices in the next loop.

It was developed by a tiny team over a number of years and they received funding from state and federal governments here in Australia. The visuals are lovely (character models are a bit stilted, but stylistically it works), and the voice acting is very good. I'm only a few hours in but I recommend it to anyone who likes this kind of thing (think Myst or even a LusasArts adventure game).

Also, this is my first cloud game (thanks @Jay for responding to my last post), and it's running really smoothly, even on the sucky NBN we have here in Aus. It sucks I cant put it down and pick it up without re-starting the game and reconnecting to the cloud every time, but that's a small price to pay to be able to play a great game.

Yay, I'm glad to hear you had a positive cloud-gaming experience too!  Yea, the long time between wanting to play and finally playing again is a bit of a bummer, but outweighed by the niceness of playing a modern gen game on the Switch I suppose

Everyone of course has their own sense of the value of the offerings, but to me it takes something that was a steal and makes it reasonably priced.  This is mostly because I actually play the classic game apps very often, so on the new plan I'm essentially paying $4 and change a month to have access to the classic game libraries, which is still worth it to me.  For someone who's not as into retro gaming as me, I don't see this being worth it at all though.

I feel like a big part of the price being so high is licensing. I'm sure the Genesis part is a big reason.

I feel like freaking nobody cares about the Genesis stuff. They're all here for the N64 part of it.

I'd be much happier if the service was every Nintendo first party game guaranteed as opposed to the slow trickle of a few random games every once in awhile. It's not like they have all the first party games up on any of the services so far. 

After seeing the new direct, I finally have a reason to play animal crossing again.

On 16/10/2021 at 2:35 AM, Jay said:

Wow charging an extra $30/year for N64, Genesis, and some Animal Crossing thingy, damn

Nintendo fans will instantly forget every bad thing the company has done to the community after like one random update gets released for a game or something. Their mental gymnastics is strange sometimes.

I almost never play my Switch in handheld mode, but the other night I tried to play some Mario Odyssey in bed and the joycon drift was so bad I found it nearly unplayable.  Mario kept walking off platforms on his own!

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I almost never play my Switch in handheld mode, but the other night I tried to play some Mario Odyssey in bed and the joycon drift was so bad I found it nearly unplayable.  Mario kept walking off platforms on his own!

it's weird, i finally have the drift issue on my original 2017 joycons.  but the issue is not present in the game i'm playing right now, which is interesting.  right now when i'm on the switch's main menu it just scrolls to the right on everything.  so it's kinda of a non issue at the moment.

i have not tested it on other games like Odyssey, might do that soon.

Speaking of Nintendo and their issues, two of my Nintendo podcasts this week spent extensive time talking about the issues with the new N64 emulation as part of the Online Expansion Pass.  Basically they said it's very spotty, working great on some titles like Mario 64, but having issues with other titles like Ocarina of Time, where it doesn't render the fog effects properly so things that are supposed to be obscured are just kinda shown.  And they mentioned input lag being a problem, especially on the Genesis emulation.

It's such a bummer this wasn't handled better, especially since they decided to upcharge for it instead of it being another freebie for their existing service.

28 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

That's actually the only way I played MM outside of the 3DS version, believe it or not. 

Same (not counting when I first got into emulators right before I joined here)

Anyone here check out Pikmin Bloom?  I hadn't been paying any attention to it, but apparently it's not even a game, it's just a fancy pedometer app with stuff in it to encourage you to get out and walk

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anyone here check out Pikmin Bloom?  I hadn't been paying any attention to it, but apparently it's not even a game, it's just a fancy pedometer app with stuff in it to encourage you to get out and walk

People who collect movies and music are cinephiles, audiophiles, and musicphiles. 

There should be a term for people who collect pedometers. 

Here's the link directly to the PDF of Nintendo's quarterly investor briefing slides.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2021/211105e.pdf

Luigi's Mansion 3, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Ring Fit Adventure all passed 10 million in sales this fiscal year so far.  Probably some more did too.

The Switch has sold almost 93 million units now too, so it'll pass the Wii and PS1 to become the fifth best selling console of all time by the next report