The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Has anybody ever seen a live working link (heh) to pre-order the Tears of The Kingdom Special Edition in the US?

Do I ever dare dream that Silksong will be referenced at all, let along given a release date or even shadowdropped after?

I'm sure I'm setting myself up for the usual disappointment, but I'm listening to the Nindie Direct live in hopes of Silksong news....

Well of course there was no Silksong news, but there was also no games in the whole thing I was interested in - apart from Oxenfree II, which I already knew about

Oh well

At this point, it’s clear Silksong was just a dream we were having. 

It’s fine, HK is still precious without a sequel. Watched my girlfriend play through it recently and discovered a hidden NPC in Deepnest I never knew about! 

Oh man, that guy was so hard, I never beat him on my first playthrough (I only got the bad ending on that playthrough)

When I replayed the game last year, I felt so accomplished to have beaten him! I wish I could remember what strat I used, but I don't :(

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm sure I'm setting myself up for the usual disappointment, but I'm listening to the Nindie Direct live in hopes of Silksong news....

Well of course there was no Silksong news, but there was also no games in the whole thing I was interested in - apart from Oxenfree II, which I already knew about

Oh well

I feel like indie games are stagnating a bit right now. We're seeing the wave of games still coming from a time when you get credit just for existing as an indie game, but none of them are as good as they should be, or even in the same ballpark as some of the best indie games, like a Hollow Knight or Guacamelee. The standard is higher now, but it seems like people still want praise for their indie game releasing regardless of quality.

Yea there was a while where there were constant bangers coming out from indies.  It's been a while now since any have gotten on my radar

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As predicted I was not able to watch, and don't know when I will.  I also haven't looked up any news articles about it yet, but remembered that I was going to ask these questions last night but forgot:

So who thinks Tears of the Kingdom DLC will be announced in this direct?

Will we see anything for Metroid Prime 4?

Will they announce a new Mario game?  2D or 3D?

Will the rumored 2D-HD remake of Chrono Trigger be shown?

SILKSONG?!

Looking forward to watching the direct on my television tonight and sharing my thoughts then

Super Mario Bros Wonder looks p good, though I’d much prefer a 3D World follow-up than a 2D sidescroller personally. Don’t have too much of an opinion on anything else, as it’s mostly sequels, remasters, and DLC for series I don’t have interest in.  Maybe the Peach game will be interesting.

The same dev team made 2 and 3.  The original system it was originally developed for shouldn't have much to do with whether it's a good game or not

OK sitting down to watch the direct on the telly

Pokémon DLC - it's amazing how little any of this made any sense to me or excited me in any way whatsoever. And I was flabbergasted such a huge series has such unimaginative art design and graphics. Yikes. And opening with 3 1/2 minutes of footage with no dialogue, no narration, no explanation, just music and bad graphics... Yikes. I'm sure Pokémon fans got a lot out of this though. 

Sonic Superstars - looked fun and I really likes the graphics! 

Palia - meh

Persona 5 Tactica - I've never played any of these games but this looked neat

Mythforce - wow! I probably won't get this game, but it LOOKS great! Like an even better version of Dragon's Lair / Space Ace. Really cool idea

Splatoon - meh

Detective Pikachu - heh, the art design was better than that mainline game, and the voice acting was fun

Super Mario RPG - wow! I had no idea they were going from sprites to full 3D. I LOVED everything I saw and heard here! This looks GREAT!! 

Peach game - cool graphics! 

Luigi's Mansion 2 - graphical upgrade was impressive! 

Batman Arkham trilogy - YES! I have ALWAYS wanted to play these games, and just never got around to it. Largely because I've always been mostly a Nintendo guy. So happy I'll be able to get all these in one nice package with all DLC and play on the Switch! 

Gloomhaven - meh

Just Dance 2024 - didn't know this series s was still going 

Silent Hope - looks kik a nifty RPG!! 

Fae Farm - meh to the game, but the music sounded great

Hot Wheels - meh

Manic Mechanics - meh

Sparks of Hope DLC - looks good! 

Dragon Quest Monsters - looks interesting. Need to know more 

Pikmin 4 - looks great. Really like the graphics! Love the new underground and nighttime stuff. 

Pikmin 1&2 HD. Awesome. Love that all the mainline games are on Switch! I wish they'd do the same for Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol 1 - hell to the yes! Like Batman, always wanted to play these games, and never have. This is PERFECT for the Switch. YES! 

Vampire Survivors - meh

Headbangers Rhythm Royale - WTF!? Weirdest game of the direct. 

Penny's Big Breakaway - Woah! Could this be the next New Super Lucy's Take? Looks really cool! 

Mario Kart 8 DLC - I like that they are adding characters now

Star Ocean 2 - Woah, loved the graphics! Game looks interesting too 

WarioWare Move It - these games aren't for me but this looks hella fun for a party with the right friends

Nintendo Live Seattle - neat

Tears of the Kingdom Amiibo - such a tease to bring up the game but then not announce DLC but just two amiibo

Super Mario Bros Wonder - this looked INCREDIBLE! An awesome step forward in game design and art design, in a way only Nintendo could and would do. Every single thing about this was brilliant. Day one purchase and play! Btw, was that still Charles Martinet as Mario and Luigi? I thought they sounded a little different. 

On 22/06/2023 at 7:09 AM, TolkienSS said:

Maybe they should get cracking on Mario Odyssey II instead of doing YET ANOTHER Mario sidescroller.

I imagine the next 3D Mario game has been in development for a while, it'll probably be the launch title for whatever their next console is. And it won't be Odyssey 2, they rarely do direct sequels with the notable exceptions of Galaxy 2 and Tears of the Kingdom.

Yea there is no chance in the world that they didn't start developing the next 3D Mario after Odyssey and/or Bowser's Fury was done.  It will come out when they feel it's ready, like always

I'm dying to know what the next gameplay "hook" will be for the 3D Mario. We've had Fludd (Sunshine), Luma/spinning (Galaxy) and Cappy (Odyssey). I can imagine they could spend years just playing around with the concept before an actual game even materialises. No doubt it's tied directly into whatever the next console is, which we also have no clue about. It could be a 4k, more powerful Switch, or something else entirely. I hope they keep the hybrid model though, I really love it.

I was kinda hoping they'd "quickly" make an Odyssey 2, and then save a huge, grand new idea for a launch Mario game for the next system

On 23/06/2023 at 11:10 PM, Jay said:

I was kinda hoping they'd "quickly" make an Odyssey 2, and then save a huge, grand new idea for a launch Mario game for the next system

I get the impression that Nintendo works very fluidly with its development, and if there even is a plan for a game at any one stage it may be all but scrapped as new ideas are discovered and implemented. I'm reminded of the trailer for a Gamecube Zelda game featuring Link and Ganondorf in a sword fight which ultimately became the drastically different Wind Waker, or the rumoured sequels to Mario 64 that were either scrapped or developed into Mario Sunshine. They certainly don't seem against the idea of jettisoning prototypes and months or years of work if a more promising idea arises - that's a luxury afforded only to the top game development companies and their flagship IPs (Naughty Dog also come to mind).

Some of those were just rech demos, and never intended as games, for example the realistic Wii U Zelda video.

On 26/06/2023 at 10:31 AM, Signals said:

Some of those were just rech demos, and never intended as games, for example the realistic Wii U Zelda video.

You're right, that Gamecube one was also just a tech demo. 

I love the story behind Toon Link - it was his expressive eyes and facial features that convinced Miyamoto to greenlight Wind Waker's direction (if I'm remembering correctly), and it shows in the gameplay. Any time you stand near an object of interest Link will look over at it, it's a little thing but it's carried through every game since.

47 minutes ago, Signals said:

Hopefully that means purchases will transfer over. The fact you need to keep buying the same game if you want to play it on subsequent systems is ridiculous. Fair enough if there's been a major upgrade and labour has gone into it, but not if it's a straight port. Though saying that I imagine the days of purchased games are coming to a close with the rise of the subscription model.

• 3 weeks later...

I never played the Oracle games, I'll definitely be checking them out. I'm a little surprised they didn't give these the Links Awakening treatment and remake them - from what I hear they're great games and beloved by fans. Still, they look good, and I forgot how vibrant and impressive Gameboy Color games were back in the day.