The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

I played with a Nintendo 3DS for about 5 minutes in the mall yesterday. It was kinda cool!

The guy at Gamestop let me use his personal one since they don't have a store model. He put some card with a Question Mark on it down on the counter then loaded up some game that I guess comes with it. It used the built-in camera to show me the counter on screen the - but where the Quest mark card was was now instead some targets that I had to shoot. To shoot them I literally moved the 3DS around until I was angled so that my shots could hit them. This was interesting because if I didn't move my head with it, the 3D effect would be lost. When when you are looking right on, the 3D was pretty good. After shooting targets for a while I shot a dragon until it was dead.

Didn't get to play any "real" games but I thought it was pretty neat.

I'm not a big fan of handheld gaming. There's just too much to keep up with on consoles. Better graphics, more dynamic gameplay, more to do creatively. Handhelds were great when you were a kid, maybe take it to school play on the bus, in the car when your parents drove you around, etc.

I'm not a big fan of handheld gaming. There's just too much to keep up with on consoles. Better graphics, more dynamic gameplay, more to do creatively. Handhelds were great when you were a kid, maybe take it to school play on the bus, in the car when your parents drove you around, etc.

Handhelds are still great. Granted, I don't carry my original GameBoy around with me -- it's too bulky, and the battery is dead in my favorite game, Donkey Kong, which erases my savegames when the power goes off, and with 101 levels, it is not a one-session game.

People who use handheld games know they're not getting the superior graphics, highly interactive gameplay, control finesse, and creative freedom of the PC or consoles. They accept this and move on for the brief moments of frivolity that the average card, Popcap, board, or puzzle game can offer.

And if handheld gaming wasn't such a big draw, then why is it such big business for the iPhone and iPod Touch? The last time I tried dragging my TV and XBox into the bathroom for a quality two, I got weird looks. But solitaire (Klondike) on my iPod Classic is enough for now (less frantic on the buttons, I'd wager, than Tetris).

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man this makes me want 3DS so bad....

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/22/miyamoto-super-mario-3ds-is-a-combo-of-galaxy-and-n64.aspx

Miyamoto: Super Mario 3DS Is A Combo Of Galaxy And N64

Nintendo icon Shigeru Miyamoto recently vowed to release Super Mario 3DS this year, and now he's revealed a couple more details, including talk of that tail in the logo.

Edge spoke with Miyamoto at the same London event and gleaned some interesting info.

“It’s a combination of Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario on N64. It won’t convey the message if I talk to you today, but if you play it at E3 that will give you more understanding of what I’m talking about," Miyamoto says.

And that mysterious tail? “The tail you mentioned on the logo – it’s what you think it is. You probably know what’s going to happen using that character," he says.

Raccoon tail flying confirmed! Now if only it were the awesome yellow cape from Super Mario World, which is far better than Super Mario Bros. 3.

Ah, I see. It's an official announcement from Nintendo. That's new, but all the same details have been already out for the past 2 weeks or so.

It wasn't official until today, just hearsay.

The new Nintendo system sounds very promising, especially the rumors about it being more powerful than the 360 or PS3. It's uncharacteristically hardcore-gamer friendly for Nintendo, which is strange but cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe in Wii games like Super Mario Brothers the graphics matter less because your used to cartoony and blocky animation

Wii 2 (or project cafe) is going to be 1080p apparently

"

• “Project Café” is the internal codename of the system; previous codenames for systems include the Revolution (Wii) and Dolphin (Gamecube)
  • Shown off and playable at E3 2011 (confirmed by Nintendo in their financial results briefing)
  • Built similarly to the Xbox 360, but slightly more powerful. Porting current 360 games to the console should be incredibly simple.
  • Backwards compatible with Gamecube and Wii games, supports Wii peripherals (Wiimote, Nunchuk, etc…)
  • CPU uses a custom IBM PowerPC with three cores, GPU is from ATI (R700 family of graphics chips), with a shader unit at version 4.1. (For comparison, the Xbox 360 shader uses version 3.0) Ram will be at least 512 Mb.
  • Controller contains a 6-inch touch screen, single touch like the DS/3DS touch screen, front camera, is able to act as a Wii sensor bar, has a d-pad, two bumpers, two triggers, possibly more. Imagine something similar to the bottom half of a DS/3DS.
  • Mockup image of controller provided by 01Net’s
  • Supposed to be released in June of 2012 for Japan, and holiday season 2012 for North America.
  • Supposedly big surprise about the system to be revealed at E3."

That's interesting but for next gen you need MUCH more powerful than current xbox360. It doesn't sound like the Wii 2 could play current PC games at max graphics detail

The more games I play, the more it becomes apparent of the limitations of current gen consoles (both PS3 and xbox360).

according to rumors there will be a "feeling" feature for wii 2:

"The website reports that the console is going to be called the Nintendo Feel, playing off the console's apparent use of haptic feedback in its touchscreen controller. Haptic feedback is a form of tactile feedback that can be used to simulate the feelings of different surfaces on a screen. If it's true that Nintendo will be using haptic feedback in the new console's controller, it means that once again, Nintendo is going to be introducing a revolutionary new control scheme into the market of home consoles, just like it did with the Wii and its motion controls."

if it sounds stupid its probably because its a Swedish (doesn't have much to do with it but still) rumor.

sources:

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/gamingnintendo-news/whats-a-nintendo-feel/

http://loading.se/news.php?pub_id=15144

The more games I play, the more it becomes apparent of the limitations of current gen consoles (both PS3 and xbox360).

Then it's amazing you never decided to become a PC gamer.

Consoles are nice because the computer assembly is done for you, all you need is a TV and a power strip, the games are playable right out of the box, the controls are usually idiot-proof, and as they are catered to the masses, the online community is huge.

But the hardware is locked in place by the manufacturer, years prior, and is impossible to upgrade yourself without voiding the warranty, destroying the unit (if you don't know what you're doing), returning it for service, or buying a new unit. I'm not talking about a bigger hard drive, that's nothing. The X360 dates from 2005. Six years is a long time to go without a major overhaul, which is expensive because it would make the 360 obsolete.

PC upgrades are expensive, difficult and easy to mess up if you don't know what you're doing. And yet, PC games are being held back by these six year old "next gen" console systems when game designers feel they have to make their games for both systems as well as the PC in order to be profitable. Maybe they do, because PC games are easy to copy and crack, making them devalue long before console systems.

For anybody with money to burn, a PC can be built these days to play a game that would look and play far superior than the same game on a comparable console system. But with the learning curve required to build, the ability to do the same non-gaming functions on far less expensive gadgets (or a Mac, can always get a Mac if you're a non-gamer), and the inability to rent PC games or sell them back for near-retail price, it's a very personal decision as to whether it's worth it.

Maybe in Wii games like Super Mario Brothers the graphics matter less because your used to cartoony and blocky animation

Wii 2 (or project cafe) is going to be 1080p apparently

"

• "Project Café" is the internal codename of the system; previous codenames for systems include the Revolution (Wii) and Dolphin (Gamecube)
  • Shown off and playable at E3 2011 (confirmed by Nintendo in their financial results briefing)
  • Built similarly to the Xbox 360, but slightly more powerful. Porting current 360 games to the console should be incredibly simple.
  • Backwards compatible with Gamecube and Wii games, supports Wii peripherals (Wiimote, Nunchuk, etc…)
  • CPU uses a custom IBM PowerPC with three cores, GPU is from ATI (R700 family of graphics chips), with a shader unit at version 4.1. (For comparison, the Xbox 360 shader uses version 3.0) Ram will be at least 512 Mb.
  • Controller contains a 6-inch touch screen, single touch like the DS/3DS touch screen, front camera, is able to act as a Wii sensor bar, has a d-pad, two bumpers, two triggers, possibly more. Imagine something similar to the bottom half of a DS/3DS.
  • Mockup image of controller provided by 01Net's
  • Supposed to be released in June of 2012 for Japan, and holiday season 2012 for North America.
  • Supposedly big surprise about the system to be revealed at E3."

Sounds pretty cool!

I don't know how accurate all those specs are. All I've read about it on IGN is that the codename is Project Cafe, and it's supposedly supposed to outperform both the PS3 and 360 with 1080p capabilities. Oh, and the touch screen on the controller too.

Guess we'll find out most of everything at E3 next month. It sounds good, but the only way Nintendo can get me to buy their systems is if they stop regurgitating all their franchises. Create something completely new, create something that isn't a family party game. Try your hand at shooters and other genres, see what happens.

The Wii has shooters and other genres, what are you talking about? No, Monster Hunter and Conduit and their Dead Space on rails game and the Zelda shooter and hunting games and Red Steel and the Call of Duty games on Wii aren't as good as their next-gen counterparts, yet they exist. Nintendo recycles their own, homegrown franchises because they are safe and know they will sell. You can't begrudge a solid business model.

That being said, I haven't bought a new Wii game in years because outside of their core franchises, there just aren't very many good games because designers are either making shit games or are trapped by its inferior hardware. I've read that Monster Hunter Tri looks very good, but I would rather spend that many hours devoted to a PC game, and just use the Wii casually.

That's interesting but for next gen you need MUCH more powerful than current xbox360. It doesn't sound like the Wii 2 could play current PC games at max graphics detail

No, but neither can the X360 or PS3 right now. Max graphics detail on the PC puts four 1+ GB video cards in some kind of Crossfire/SLI configuration that would cost several thousand dollars with all the anti-aliasing and other high resolution goodies on full blast. That's beyond what I paid for my system, which I don't plan to upgrade for a few years. The Wii 2 is already obsolete and it's not even born yet. But it's better than what the Wii 1 can do, and therein lies the rub.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

not really big news, but:

Nintendo has admitted to using in-game footage from other platforms (see which ones) to showcase the capabilities of its new platform, Wii U, at the Electronic Entertainment Expo. Nintendo says it used the footage because the platform isn't ready for launch

source: PSP: Nintendo used footage from other platforms - Nintendo used footage from other platforms __________________

It's just as well. That console looks like garbage. If I wanted to play games on an iPad, I'd buy an iPad. Anyone who has to integrate a Wii console that closely with their entertainment center is wacko.

Nintendo = Epic Fail

Wake me up when they decide to do something new. Our new system is.... another DS! ... That's a controller too! Yep, and that's about it.

Yeah, Koray, I guess that whole claim about high powered, 1080p graphics and a massive onslaught of third party developers previously only attached to Xbox and Playstation just... um... isn't true?

Sure. A new Mario game...new Zelda...a new Metroid game...maybe some Donkey Kong...certainly Smash Brothers...how about some sports games? Madden and golf? I'm sure they haven't been done before with an iPad. A few rail shooters would be fun. Oh, and the Wii always needs more hunting games.

Sure. A new Mario game...new Zelda...a new Metroid game...maybe some Donkey Kong...certainly Smash Brothers...how about some sports games? Madden and golf? I'm sure they haven't been done before with an iPad. A few rail shooters would be fun. Oh, and the Wii always needs more hunting games.

Judging from the conference there's going to be quite a significant third party presence on the system, unlike anything that was seen with the Wii. But of course, the console and its games are still very far away.

• 3 months later...

Link looks like a high resolution copy of his Ocarina of Time counterpart, so I don't see what there is to complain about. And Zelda has looked radically different in each game, so why not try bangs? Sure, it's not very medieval princess looking, but these games are total fantasy. I'm less concerned about the visuals than I am with how they tell the story, and, of course, the gameplay. Everybody hated Wind Waker's graphics, but it turned out to be an incredibly solid game - well, maybe a little on the easy side. I've heard, however, that Skyward Sword will be the toughest game yet.

Also, that main theme is just really cool. Yeah, it's

, but reharmonized and quite wonderful on its own terms.

• 1 month later...

Yeah. I've played it a little bit with the limited time I have these days. It is very surreal. Doesn't feel like a Zelda game despite the essentially familiar interface. Though not too familiar: the motion controls have finally brought the series into the present day. Spiffy. Annoying in the flying stages, but otherwise good.

I think what's weirding me out is the music. It's all so different. Yeah, you still hear the Fairies theme on the menu screen and stuff like that, but the style is such a departure. There's a new lead composer; I forget his name. That may be why. Oh, and the orchestral stuff sounds wonderful, but I'm afraid to say there is a good amount of synth material too. I mean, it's fine. Twilight Princess had six hours of music and I expect this game will be just as loaded. So you couldn't really expect everything to be recorded.

If you do then you can also buy Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, New Super Mario Brothers, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Mario Kart Wii. Good games. The system also plays gamecube games so you could pick up Mario Sunshine, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess

Not me ,I could actually go out and buy a WII to play Skyward Sword...

I bought the PS3 to play Demon's Souls. So far I only played 5 games on the PS3 and the rest on Xbox360. Still glad I got it for the Blu Ray player

I think it was pretty stupid for Nintendo to release a new Zelda title on the WII when they have a new console coming next year, considering the Zelda titles are so far in between releases

Why, have you got a family and everything that comes with it to think about, too? I had no idea ;)

You never know, man. I could be in my late 40s with two kids! ;)

My entire membership on this board has been an extensive psychological experiment.