The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I feel no guilt using a player's guide for much of Majora's Mask

IIRC I used the guide on the official Zelda website back in the GC Zelda Collectors Edition days.

I used the guide when I was younger but I am trying to beat the whole game without it this time

This is breaking me though. The Zora swim mechanic is absolutely ridiculous sometimes. I get caught in a corner even once and I have to delicately set down the controller and count breaths

I sometimes think I should have played Link to the Past

2 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I used the guide when I was younger but I am trying to beat the whole game without it this time

This is breaking me though. The Zora swim mechanic is absolutely ridiculous sometimes. I get caught in a corner even once and I have to delicately set down the controller and count breaths

I sometimes think I should have played Link to the Past

Are you playing the 3DS version?

12 minutes ago, blondheim said:

No I am not, I am playing it on emulator with an orange neon controller. I am a stickler for using the original controller when I play a game, shrug

I agree, playing VC Super Metroid or DKC with a Gamecube controller for example is NOT recommended lol

I know the hardcore fans have their issues with the 3DS remake, but I think the ways in which it is a smoother experience outweigh the cons personally.  I played a ton of it way back in 2000-2001, but the game really clicked with me for the first time on 3DS

Haha true. I have to take a break because I am getting pissed. This really is a bitch of a dungeon. I am probably going to have to use a walkthrough and that pisses me off. The same way it does when I need a store employee to help me find something that should be clearly indicated and labeled

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I know the hardcore fans have their issues with the 3DS remake, but I think the ways in which it is a smoother experience outweigh the cons personally.  I played a ton of it way back in 2000-2001, but the game really clicked with me for the first time on 3DS

There is no happy medium for me. The original game is a little vague and tough but authentic and the remake is too easy and clear-cut

Had my first Ghost House level in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker last night.  It was great!

Such a fun little game.  It's amazing how much stuff to find and do they fit into each tiny level!

The polar express level was cool too

Damn, that looks great

As someone who never got around to playing 3D World on my Wii U (hangs head in shame), I think this is a day 1 purchase and play for me!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Damn, that looks great

As someone who never got around to playing 3D World on my Wii U (hangs head in shame), I think this is a day 1 purchase and play for me!

Oh wow, there's going to be such an overflowing treasure trove of great Mario experiences for you!  I only just replayed 3D World last Summer so Bowser's Fury is obviously what I'm really looking forward to.  I wonder how long it is.

I loved 3D Land on the 3DS.  Perfect new style in between the New SMB series and the 64/Odyssey style

Ain't nothin' wrong with using player guides, walkthroughs, etc.  The challenge is not the point of the game!

I have a policy of googling the moment something shifts from challenging to frustrating in video games.  Obviously that doesn't help in, like, a hard platforming jump or something like that, but generally...

I'm firmly in "don't want to see anymore" territory though now I think.  It's only a month.

All I really wanted to know is if Bowser's Fury was substantial and it clearly is, so I'm happy to wait and go "media blackout"

Had a strange moment during Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker last night!

I resume play on level 17, and it ended up being a boss level against the big bird that stole the star in the opening cutscene.  Well when I beat the level, the freaking end credits rolled!  I was like... wtf?  Then it goes back to the main page and it turns out I beat "book 1" and now there's a "book 2".  Well, why display credits in between each book? 

Very strange.

Got up to the first boss level against the guy in the lava.  So far, just as good as book 1, another fun ghost world level and I really like the beachy levels - one I played had goomba in little floaties!

Haven't come across another double cherry level yet though

Oh that's sad to read, I used to like a lot of their videos.  Haven't seen any in a while for whatever reason

The key quote to me is.  Sounds awful, the Youtubing business in general.

The problems at GameXplain are not its alone—it's the story of modern content creation. 

"It was very cutthroat, very competitive," said Paulsen. "If you're not first, you're last—that kind of thing. And it was very clear that content was always king, not us, not our well-being, not our pay."

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh that's sad to read, I used to like a lot of their videos.  Haven't seen any in a while for whatever reason

I haven't  really watched much from them since Jon (the deep voiced guy) left

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Didn't even know he left, that's a bummer too

Yeah, he is part of NintendoLife now.

He also started his own channel with a couple videos, What's That Track? etc., but rebranded it as Good Vibes Gaming and handed it to some other guys (though he still shows up from time to time)

Did anybody here play the "Special Episode" of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker available as DLC for the Switch edition?

It's on sale for $4.19 and I'm probably going to pick it up

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/captain-toad-treasure-tracker-special-episode

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Did anybody here play the "Special Episode" of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker available as DLC for the Switch edition?

It's on sale for $4.19 and I'm probably going to pick it up

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/captain-toad-treasure-tracker-special-episode

Yeah I did and was disappointed with how much was just re-used content.  But sure it's probably worth that piddly amount of money for the extra challenges.

Yea, I picked it up.  Really enjoying the game!

Going to make a concentrated effort in 2021 to play more games and make serious progress into my massive backlog

I think it is highly likely that Animal Crossing was the #1 selling videogame of 2020 in North America.  According to the NPD it's #3, but Nintendo is the only major company that does not report its digital sales to NPD.

And since a *ton* of Switches were sold with a digital Mario Kart 8 included, I'd bet that game would be in the top 5 if Nintendo reported digital sales.

image.png

I think Nintendo will reveal how many copies they've sold (physical + digital) in their next quarterly (yearly?) fiscal thingy my podcasts always talk about when the come out

Oh yeah they always say the total worldwide sales for their games in the quarterly/annual reports.  I just meant the NPD chart would be very different if they would tell them their digital sales like every other company.

The biggest surprise to me is that there are tons of people playing Call of Duty in the year of our lord 2021.  I never hear anybody talking about those games anymore.  Who are these people?

Finished Book 2 of Captain Toad.  Finally had another double cherry level, that was fun.  I enjoy the mine cart levels where you blast out turnips at stuff as you sail by, and the final level of book had a satisfying moment where you destroy everyone in a normal level with a turnip canon

Started Book 3 and enjoyed many new things the game keeps throwing at you, like one of the last levels I played had giant blocks that disappear/reappear on a timer like 3D Land / World.

There's so many cool possibilities for this series, I hope sequel is in the works!  They must like it a lot since they ported the Wii U original to 3DS AND Wii U